Grace Church Houston At 14505 Gulf Fwy.

sheeats

Montreal has a big cross too. It's not that tall but it's up on top of a mountain and you can see it from most parts of the city including downtown. I think it turned purple when the Pope died. They call it the Pope-o-meter.

Mount-Royal-Cross-at-Night2.jpg

Edited by Jax

Simi Valley has one right along a freeway too, although it's probably closer to the size of that one in Montreal. I'm sure they're all over, they're just not all 150 ft tall.

edit: found it. Behind the photographer is the freeway.

Simi.jpg

Edited by lockmat

Simi Valley has one right along a freeway too, although it's probably closer to the size of that one in Montreal. I'm sure they're all over, they're just not all 150 ft tall.

edit: found it. Behind the photographer is the freeway.

Simi.jpg

So we're talking a cross roughly 7 stories tall? That's a pretty big cross!

article from today's chron

Do you ever get the feeling that certain Chron stories pop up after they've been active HAIF threads for a while? Or does is just seem like it......

So we're talking a cross roughly 7 stories tall? That's a pretty big cross!

And quite the opportunity for enterprising graffitti artists! 7 stories of blank, white concrete.

Do you ever get the feeling that certain Chron stories pop up after they've been active HAIF threads for a while? Or does is just seem like it......

Ha true that, bunch of idea stealers!

article from today's chron

crossCropped.jpg

Not as ugly as I expected. I am a little less upset now since it is at least a bit more elaborate than a simple cross.

Do you ever get the feeling that certain Chron stories pop up after they've been active HAIF threads for a while?
LOL zero creativity. even the ones you think might have the opportunity, end up being soap box oriented based on interviews with people who have no technical knowledge of the subject.

Sorry, Puma. I have to disagree. ;)

That's actually way worse than I expected. Then again, given the heinously ugly, faux-Mediterranean architectural style of their actual church (the North Campus in particular), I shouldn't be all that surprised. :P

And I have to ask... Has anyone else noticed that their top-level domain name is ".tv" (www.grace.tv)? That should tell you eeeeeverything there is to know about this "church." :rolleyes:

That's actually way worse than I expected. Then again, given the heinously ugly, faux-Mediterranean architectural style of their actual church (the North Campus in particular), I shouldn't be all that surprised. :P

Well, it could be worse.

Again, I am glad it is not a just simple cross, am I happy about it still being built, hell heck no!

At least it shows effort to make it nicer.

Edited by Pumapayam

Why am I not surprised this money isn't going towards feeding the poor or helping the needy.... you know, things "jesus" could do. :rolleyes:

Well, because the verdict's still out on whether God really wants sincere folks doing good deeds or whether He wants huge congregations that feel good (as if I'm one to talk .. I attend Lakewood ;) ).

That said, I have never tuned into this minister's show, but will take a look at his video podcasts. I see the sign often enough when I drive up TW.

And ... for the record ... not sure if I am weirded out by the size of the cross or the fact that it is 'marking the city for God' ... what, God doesn't know where all the sinners in Houston are already?

Edited by houstonmacbro

A hurricane will knock those things over.

It's in today's Chron. The scaled model/image seems absolutely absurd. :wacko:

Yes, we are aware of all the adult billboards along 45 but this "grandiose" structure wont stop it them. While I don't hope a storm topples this thing, it's bound to have serious strutural errors/faults and collapse or sink.

(why do I mentally picture lightning striking it often)

We may as well build a modern day Tower of Babel so we can climb up (or take an escalator) to the "Pearly Gates".

Yes, we are aware of all the adult billboards along 45 but this "grandiose" structure wont stop it them.

Funny how people get bent out of shape over something that represents good but don't even blink at the adult billboards our kids and ourselves have to look at. This is the world we live in.

Funny how people get bent out of shape over something that represents good but don't even blink at the adult billboards our kids and ourselves have to look at. This is the world we live in.

In all seriousness, it would be awesome if the huge cross fell over and crushed a couple of these nasty billboards. Divine intervention? Would make great headlines, etc. :D

and your right too Lock.

and someone was correct above somewhere that the $ should be spent on much more sensible structures to help the less fortunate.

and someone was correct above somewhere that the $ should be spent on much more sensible structures to help the less fortunate.

I agree. A giant cross won't make anyone repent. Unfortunately, the church leadership is on the wrong mission.

I agree. A giant cross won't make anyone repent. Unfortunately, the church leadership is on the wrong mission.

I cant say the leadership is wrong or right. I've never been to their church.

But in all honesty, it's prolly a pissin' match between him and Olsteen. To see who's (you fill in the blanks here) is bigger.

But Olsteen already won that battle. He's the big bagd dog on the block (with the world's largest church, a huge local congregation, and a big a** church home) and none of these upstarts are gonna topple he or Victoria anytime soon.

Edited by houstonmacbro

I cant say the leadership is wrong or right. I've never been to their church.

But in all honesty, it's prolly a pissin' match between him and Olsteen. To see who's (you fill in the blanks here) is bigger.

But Olsteen already won that battle. He's the big bagd dog on the block (with the world's largest church, a huge local congregation, and a big a** church home) and none of these upstarts are gonna topple he or Victoria anytime soon.

They've both got their priorities in the wrong place. Whoever called them a "church" was right. Or maybe that's too harsh. They are "pastors" or "leaders"

it's symbolism over substance. truly sad use of resources. why couldn't they raise money to build a halfway house or drug treatment facility? too practical and complex. it is far easier to shout "hallelujah" or build something that says "look at how spiritual we are" and pray for change.

sad.

it's symbolism over substance. truly sad use of resources. why couldn't they raise money to build a halfway house or drug treatment facility? too practical and complex. it is far easier to shout "hallelujah" or build something that says "look at how spiritual we are" and pray for change.

sad.

pretty much right on

Who agreed that a 150 foot cross represents good? :huh:

not one that's 150ft tall, just a cross itself