Houston In The 1980s

Subdude

I had some other relatives that lived in Fondren Southwest.  Their neighborhood went from very desirable to a complete dump in a very short period.

That happened to a few areas during this time (Greenspoint/Aldine, Alief, Sharpstown). Went from upper middle class to ghetto almost overnight.

• 2 weeks later...

There were several malls in the area proposed but not opening. One intriguing one I read about on the HAIF (might be in papers, but they're not online) was a second mall across from Greenspoint but even more upscale (this from a time when Greenspoint was considered to be a nice mall, on par with Memorial City today).

It was never a "mall", more like a glorified strip center. It was built, it didn't last long, and it's still standing across 45 from Greenspoint. Not sure what exactly the center is used for these days, but it opened with great fanfare anchored by Media Play. The shopping center was built in '94 or '95.

It was never a "mall", more like a glorified strip center. It was built, it didn't last long, and it's still standing across 45 from Greenspoint. Not sure what exactly the center is used for these days, but it opened with great fanfare anchored by Media Play. The shopping center was built in '94 or '95.

Well, it was eventually developed into a strip mall, sure...it had Child World and Phar-Mor and a few others, and I believe it was re-developed into some sort of non-retail use within a decade. I was referring to this post.

I think it's used by Level 3 as a data center or network center.

Its interesting to reflect on how much this downturn will will resemble the one in the 80s, which I lived through as a young professional in Houston.  I think (and hope) that it will not be as destructive as that one.  I remember the announcement of the Tang City Mall development, which like many others, was inauspiciously timed.  

A lot of decisions were made that might have been OK if the boom times had continued.  E.g., Sakowitz might have survived if Bobby S. hadn't gone willy-nilly on an expansion binge at the wrong time.  However, in his defense, a lot of other people have made similar decisions that failed because of events beyond their control.

Having lived through these cycles in Houston, it strikes me that investment money tends to arrive in Houston late in the economic cycles, perhaps too late, and then we get red-lined for a long time.  Despite the cyclicity of our economy, I think that the national/international lenders could make money here ... but, they just don't get the timing right.   If they do come in, they do so too late and too timidly.  When things heat up again, they have already missed the boat.  

I hate to be a downer, but I wonder if Oliver McMillan missed the boat in that way.  If they had stuck with their original plans and also had opened ROD in 2010 or so, I think they would have been wildly successful.  Now, I'm not so sure.  Despite that, if they ever get their restaurants open, I will certainly patronize them.  The fancy boutiques, not so much. 

Edited by ArchFan

Is this why they built and never opened the Kingwood Mall? ( Now Kingwood hospital)

The mall you are poiting out was built as Deauville Mall. There were several of these built around town, usually close to existing major shopping malls. There's an old thread about it here on HAIF somewhere.

Edited by plumber2

• 3 weeks later...

The San Antonio Rose

Harlow's

Slick Willie's on Westheimer

The Texas Opry House on Richmond

Goofy's Game Room on Buffalo Spwy.

Rockefeller's, Fitzgerald's and Leo's Mexican restaurant in the Heights

Kay's Lounge on Richmond

Studebaker's

Westheimer Art Festival

Anton's

The Bavarian Beer Gardens

Kay's is still there (although its always been on Bissonet near Kirby), and the beer is just as cold!

The San Antonio Rose

Harlow's

Slick Willie's on Westheimer

The Texas Opry House on Richmond

Goofy's Game Room on Buffalo Spwy.

Rockefeller's, Fitzgerald's and Leo's Mexican restaurant in the Heights

Kay's Lounge on Richmond

Studebaker's

Westheimer Art Festival

Anton's

The Bavarian Beer Gardens

Harlow's was the place to go after an evening at Cooters!

• Like 1

Harlow's was the place to go after an evening at Cooters!

Harlow's was the place to go after an evening at just about anywhere - there weren't nearly as many places back then to grab a late-night bite to eat after the bars closed as there are now. Off the top of my head, and leaving out drive-thrus, the ones that immediately come to mind besides Harlow's are Charlie's Coffee Shop and House of Pies. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

we seem to be in another bust.  I was laid off from my O & G related job in a Manufacturing Plant.  I still have my part time job.  I took time off but now that I am trying to get back to work, so far nothing.  Signed up with 5 temp agencies and not one assignment yet.  More than likely this new bust won't be as bad as the 80's.  Back then I was just out of high school and in Louisiana where there were ZERO jobs, but the competition is crazy right now.  In the last 2 weeks I have sent out 30 resumes and have not heard from one person.  It might just be time to finally leave Houston.

• 11 months later...
On July 6, 2008 at 5:20 AM, Subdude said:

It was an interesting time. It is easy now to forget just how serious the situation was. Almost every large bank failed and had to be bailed out (Bank of the Southwest, Allied, TCB, First City, Interfirst, RepublicBank et al.). Dozens of construction projects were canceled. Not just oil, construction and banking, but lots of other industries were gutted as well. The Shamrock, Savoy, Sheraton, Towers, Plaza and Whitehall hotels all had to close. I had forgotten what rps324 pointed out how gentrification came grinding to a halt, but it certainly did. I had friends who lost bundles when they were stuck with rehab properties in the Heights after the market collapsed.

The rest of the country didn't seem to be terribly sympathetic. It was thought that we had benefited while the rest of the country was hurting in the 1970s, and that Texas was getting its comeuppance for being too arrogant and boastful during the boom years. There was a saying around at the time to the effect of "Lord please bring back the good times, and I promise not to blow it this time." Perhaps something to bear in mind today.

I put that in because it was a big deal when the Alabama Bookstop opened! It was so cool and so big it just blew every other bookstore out of the water. Every store in that center was always packed.

TCB didn't fail. The others that you mentioned did, however. 

14 hours ago, Wildcat51 said:

TCB didn't fail. The others that you mentioned did, however. 

That is true.  They were acquired by Chemical Bank.  If that hadn't happened though I suspect their fate would have been the same as the others. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I think that Bank of the Southwest, First City and TCB ended up as part of today's Chase Bank, InterFirst and Republic ended up within Bank of America, and Allied part of Wells Fargo.  

On 7/14/2008 at 3:01 PM, ADCS said:

I've always heard it as "Lord, please let it get back up to $40 a barrel, I swear I won't blow it this time"

Nowadays, we're (well, those of us not in the oil industry) all praying for it to get back DOWN to $60 a barrel!

Huh, guess we're not praying so much for this anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I was raised in the Montrose area on Sul Ross street in the fifties. The book stop was the Alabama theatre. I went to a lot of movies there. I remember a Walgreens, Wacker's, post office and a Western Auto being in that strip center. May have been others in the center, just don't remember.

8 hours ago, kbates2 said:

Saw this one on Chron.com the other day.  From October of 1980.  Lots of adult entertainment where we currently have our strip of bars.10-1980 Main at Congress.jpg

There are those who would suggest that the bars are adult entertainment... :ph34r:

As for Texas Commerce Tower / Chase / 600 Travis... at the time of the photo it's topped out.  It's reinforced concrete / steel composite; by 1980 they were cladding it with granite and glass.

IIRC, behind the photographer would have been The Pink Pussycat.

• Like 1

Still wish those buildings weren't demolished for another parking garage.  Sitting outside at Honeymoon almost feels like a full historic district outside of that garage.  At least they put in retail and a little effort to make it blend.

• Like 1