Almeda Mall History

Randyt7801

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best Products is not visible in the photo. It was located ( in the photo) to the left, top of JC Penney, roughly behind the original theater bldg, It sat almost at the corner of the two streets. The Bracewell library is seen behind Penneys.

No Subdude, Best Products would be at the end left end of Kingspoint street. Kingsport is the street in foreground. It is just out of the picture.

Here is another aerial of the Almeda Mall area to give you a little more perspective. This picture is a lot earlier, probably in the early seventies. Note where it says SITE that the only thing there is a drive through bank. Nothing had been developed on the other side of Kingsport yet.

post-11998-0-94665800-1399653422_thumb.j

I've posted a number of photos I've excavated here if anyone is interested: http://southbelthouston.blogspot.com/2014/03/almeda-mall.html

Yes, where you see the Whataburger sign was the place I remember going with my Dad in the 70s. It is in that end spot and did not have a drive-thru that I can recall. It was later converted into a Mexican restaurant but now sits empty. It is on the end of the strip center where Brown Sugar's BBQ moved after it changed homes from back near Wolfe nursery and Monterey House (just out of the picture, far left). Where you see Bracewell library sitting in the Almeda Parking lot, at left, just across the street would be the spot I'm referencing. 

The big store across from Oshmans name escapes me, possibly Service Merchandising?

Yeah it looks like that could be a Whataburger logo. Checking out streetview there's a side door on the building which would be indicative of a restaurant.

I think it's in the north end of that strip center; zooming in, it looks like it even says "Whataburger" on the facade.  I remember that there was something odd about that location; I don't think I ever went in.  "Odd" is probably that it was in a strip center.

The big store across from Oshmans name escapes me, possibly Service Merchandising?

Service Merchandise.   I don't remember one at Almeda Mall (there was one at Gulfgate), but since they were a Best competitor, maybe there was one at Almeda Mall.

I think it's in the north end of that strip center; zooming in, it looks like it even says "Whataburger" on the facade. 

Yes, driving past there a few weeks back you can still make out the lettering on the building now.

The strip center definitely had a Whataburger in it. The only strange thing ( to me) was that it wasn't in a stand alone A-frame bldg. The time period was probably early to mid 1980's. The Diamondback Saloon was located in the middle of that strip center, at the time.

• 5 months later...

While I was in Houston last week, I revisited the Texas Room and purchased some additional photographs for the South Belt blog.

Since I sign a release that these are specifically for the blog, I'm not sure if I can share them here, so I'll settle for a link instead, if anyone is interested in seeing them.  

http://southbelthouston.blogspot.com/2014/10/almeda-mall-vintage-1969-photos.html

They are from the Houston Post archives of what was then a year-old mall on the "far outskirts" of Houston.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I've got a question that's been nagging me. Around 1994-1996 friends and family used to go to an amusement center in the area of Almeda Mall. All I remember is that it was a nondescript metal building with no company name located behind the Target/Marshall's shopping center nearby. It was an arcade with indoor batting cages. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the place (never knew it to begin with.) Does anyone remember this place?

• The title was changed to Almeda Mall History

Archived