Almeda Mall History

Randyt7801

Paul 1956: My parents bought a puppy for my sister and I at Byrd's Pet Shop in Pasadena Plaza. A litte mixed breed terrier we named Brownie. We were drawn to the little fellow. I remember Pancho's and Tandy Leather also. I forget when it closed down, but I spent a fair amount of time there with my family as a child. If my memory was correct, it always seemed a bit underlit in the corridors.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The record store, though I forget what it was called in the 1970's/early 80's.
Was it the Record Bar? Hastings? Sorry if this was already covered. I haven't been around Almeda mall in years. When I was a kid I used to like going to Best (I believe). It had the wall right out front that looked like the wall toppled over with a big pile of bricks...

I didn't live in that area, but I remember the store with the toppled-wall look, it was a landmark in Houston for awhile. As I recall, it was designed by an out-of-town outfit called Ant Farm. The store was part of a chain that opened many stores across the country, some of them with unique designs. It was interesting and quite unique; I felt bad when they demolished it. But then, that's the Houston way ... :-)

I didn't live in that area, but I remember the store with the toppled-wall look, it was a landmark in Houston for awhile. As I recall, it was designed by an out-of-town outfit called Ant Farm. The store was part of a chain that opened many stores across the country, some of them with unique designs. It was interesting and quite unique; I felt bad when they demolished it. But then, that's the Houston way ... :-)

The name of the store was "Best" or "Best Electronics" one of those. They sold electronics gear much the way circuit city used to or best buy does now. I used to love going there.

The design firm was SITE, who did a number of Best Products. Another I liked was enclosed in glass with greenery like a terrarium.

Was it the Record Bar? Hastings? Sorry if this was already covered.

The record store in the mall, across from Susie's Casuals, was Hastings. I worked there for a few months in the mid 80s between many years working at Penny's in package pickup and credit. I loved working at Pennys. My grandmother lived in Almeda Chateua across the street so I virtually grew up in Almeda Mall and at the Target and the library and Best...wow, memories. I remember all the things you all are speaking of.

There was a Burger King across from Best (by the Almeda Chateau) that failed, became a Blimpie, then a Ron's Crispy Friend Chicken, then a veterinarian. I don't know if that building is still there.

I remember the nasty bathrooms in Battlestein's in the back left of the store, old faceless mannequins lined a corridor to get there and it was smelly and creepy. I used to have nightmares about that dark and creepy place. My sister fell into the center fountain, and I got to play the Samsonite Gorilla in the big open area on the Penny's side of that fountain.

Good times back then.

I think you're refering to the old Best Products Showroom/ catalouge store . It was founded here in Richmond Virginia by Sidney and Francis Lewis . Sidney passed away several years ago . His wife fran can be seen seldom usually frequenting social gatherings at the Virginia meuseuiem of Fine arts here . scrubba

• 2 months later...

I remember going to the GCC theater one year to she "Shazam" after winning tickets from my school. Recently i know it's now that Matress mans shop. LOL What was across the center? I know Big Lots moved out and a Factory 2u. What was there before? I know Wings N More was a Steak And Ale.

• 3 months later...

Was it the Record Bar? Hastings? Sorry if this was already covered. I haven't been around Almeda mall in years. When I was a kid I used to like going to Best (I believe). It had the wall right out front that looked like the wall toppled over with a big pile of bricks...

I seem to recall that the record store was named Disc during the early '80's, then became Hastings a bit later...

We did a lot of our shopping at Almeda Mall growing up. I don't remember the pirate ship in Foley's but I remember the elevator with the outer space theme and the rainbow tunnel that went from the children's section into the china section. There was also a room setup in the furniture section I thought was so cool; the back wall was made to look like a big window and there were fake trees between the windowpane and the real wall. I remember when they redid the floor in cosmetics to the pink and white tile and I thought it was SO FANCY. My mom always bought my Easter dresses at that Palais Royal, back when it looked like a real department store.

I also remember licking my ice cream cone from Baskin & Robbins in the food court and the ice cream fell off, and I cried. And Dad taking us to Picadilly, b/c it was closer to the house than Luby's on Fuqua. Our truck got stolen from the movie theater that used to be in that strip by the old Steak & Ale.

• 1 year later...

Another find I thought worth sharing: north facing aerial found among the South Belt Leader files.

Almeda Mall area at left, downtown visible at top.

This was before the Gulf Freeway was rerouted over Almeda Genoa. Lots to spot if you grew up in the area in my era.

post-12498-0-83260100-1399567190_thumb.j

What year do you suppose? What was where the Office Max before? I know a venture was there at some point.

Another find I thought worth sharing: north facing aerial found among the South Belt Leader files.

Almeda Mall area at left, downtown visible at top.

This was before the Gulf Freeway was rerouted over Almeda Genoa. Lots to spot if you grew up in the area in my era.

What year do you suppose? What was where the Office Max before? I know a venture was there at some point.

It started out as a Woolco

Hey, I like it--there's some sort of "Hilton Mattress Liquidator" at Almeda Square (that old logo is gone now), it looks like it might be a Mervyn's, but I don't think so.

Steak & Ale is now a Wings N More (should be BreWingz now since WnM Houston lost the franchise) 

Where was the Venture/Woolco?

Hey, I like it--there's some sort of "Hilton Mattress Liquidator" at Almeda Square (that old logo is gone now), it looks like it might be a Mervyn's, but I don't think so.

Steak & Ale is now a Wings N More (should be BreWingz now since WnM Houston lost the franchise) 

Where was the Venture/Woolco?

Woolco was where Floor and Decor is now.  Very top of the photo.  NW corner of Almeda-Genoa and Gulf Freeway.

Oshman's was where Hilton Furniture is now.

Cannot remember what the main store was at Almeda Square (front facing away in photo)  but I remember it was a Phar-Mor in the late 80s and early 90s and a Big Lots in 00s

I clearly see a Whataburger sign in the lower left hand corner but can't place where it's located. Is/was it in the shopping strip directly in front of the sign?

It looks like it was the end-store of the shopping center (I think I can make out a Whataburger logo on the storefront).

The Gulf Freeway looks like it was built to Interstate standards by this time but not yet to its current state. When did this happen?

I clearly see a Whataburger sign in the lower left hand corner but can't place where it's located. Is/was it in the shopping strip directly in front of the sign?

I remember it being there, but I'm not sure if it was in the strip center or a separate building.

Currently there is a whataburger on Fuqua so maybe this was the back entrance that ran behind the strip center.

That location wasn't built till 1988 according to HCAD. I would warrant a guess though that when the strip center location closed (looks like it probably lacked a drive-thru) that it moved over to Fuqua.

That location wasn't built till 1988 according to HCAD. I would warrant a guess though that when the strip center location closed (looks like it probably lacked a drive-thru) that it moved over to Fuqua.

I think on the actual building, I see a tiny Whataburger logo on the last thing in that strip mall (the one to the right with the green awning)--or are my eyes tricking me?  :wacko:

I think on the actual building, I see a tiny Whataburger logo on the last thing in that strip mall (the one to the right with the green awning)--or are my eyes tricking me?  :wacko:

Yeah it looks like that could be a Whataburger logo. Checking out streetview there's a side door on the building which would be indicative of a restaurant. Although the arched windows make it look like a Mexican place may have moved in there. About the only other spot I see that could be where the Whataburger was is where 5 Star Autoplex is currently located. The sign on the place looks kinda Burger King-ish but as you can see the Whataburger sign at the time wasn't W shaped it had whitespace making it square. Google's Historic Imagery makes it look like the building previously had some sort of drive-thru lane.

Btw on a semi-related note I got my Houston library card today! Apparently I have to wait a while for the Chronicle Archives to let me in, although once it does I'll try to see if I can find anything as this likely would of been one of the first Whataburgers in that area right?

Archived