Almeda Mall History

Randyt7801

Of this I can be sure... it was Swiss Colony and/or Hickory Farms. I was probably remembering both. Thanks!

It seems like one of those stores started out fun (for a little kid - probably the free samples - I remember some cheese with bits of sausage in it, I thought that was genius) and then got heavily into health food (carob is what I remember, and trail mix) and vitamins. Maybe it was just my parents getting into health food and vitamins, though, and taking us to GNC Nutrition instead of Swiss Colony.

Our trips to Almeda usually included a trip to Target. Where I remember watching cakes being decorated. And to a garden store close by that I think had fish - must have been in a pond. And there was the Best store, which has already been mentioned a lot. For some reason, all I remember of the inside of it was the jewelry department.

I think it was Almeda - but, again, could have been Baybrook - that had a store with a lot of interesting woodwork items in it. Maybe some small fountains, and possibly some bonsai. Probably a late-70's hippyish store of some sort. I picture it on the left just before an anchor store, but that could be wrong.

Funny to be nostalgic for malls. But it's fun that others remember some of the same things I do, and better than I do.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember the Woolworths near JC Pennies with the cafe in it, the one thing that stood out was the water stains on the ceiling tiles.

That Woolworths always had great fun Halloween stuff and the good aroma of fresh popcorn going out in the mall entry into Penney's. The book store directly across and the toy store next to that and I think that cheap haircut place is still in the corner. It must be pretty dead since Penney's closed, that is what brought in that last decent crowd.

Passed by this mall this past weekend and it was so depressing. All seems so outdated and 70's. Needed to head to Baybrook area to remind myself it is 2008 and not 1978. really Almeda days must be numbered. It seems like a big 5 & dime store now like Sharpstown mostly hip-hop attire/junk sells. Ugh.

Of this I can be sure... it was Swiss Colony and/or Hickory Farms. I was probably remembering both. Thanks!

It seems like one of those stores started out fun (for a little kid - probably the free samples - I remember some cheese with bits of sausage in it, I thought that was genius) and then got heavily into health food (carob is what I remember, and trail mix) and vitamins. Maybe it was just my parents getting into health food and vitamins, though, and taking us to GNC Nutrition instead of Swiss Colony.

Our trips to Almeda usually included a trip to Target. Where I remember watching cakes being decorated. And to a garden store close by that I think had fish - must have been in a pond. And there was the Best store, which has already been mentioned a lot. For some reason, all I remember of the inside of it was the jewelry department.

I think it was Almeda - but, again, could have been Baybrook - that had a store with a lot of interesting woodwork items in it. Maybe some small fountains, and possibly some bonsai. Probably a late-70's hippyish store of some sort. I picture it on the left just before an anchor store, but that could be wrong.

Funny to be nostalgic for malls. But it's fun that others remember some of the same things I do, and better than I do.

I'm guessing Hickory Farms. They were big in the malls, but it seems like Swiss Colony was more of a mail order catalog operation with chocolate cakes and fruit gift boxes. Hickory Farms had a lot of meat and cheese products, and of course the free samples. Just the spot for a last minute Christmas gift when you couldn't think of anything else.

Just the spot for a last minute Christmas gift when you couldn't think of anything else.

Yea, nothing says "Happy Birthday, Jesus" like a Hickory Farms Yard O' Beef! When we were kids (and no one cared about germs), we would eat the free samples in the front of the Almeda store.

My family always ended up with a HF box under the tree, from distant relatives. I distinctly remember it contained a block of smoked cheddar cheese that was brown and gross.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember when Almeda Mall opened. We had done all our shopping at Pasadena Plaza or across the street at Monkey Wards before that. Also, within just a couple years after opening, Foleys added a 'huge' (we thought at the time) extension to the north side.

Pasadena Plaza! Now that's a thread of its own ;-0

Pancho's!

Google maps and others still show a shopping center on Shaver called Pasadena Plaza, but its not there. What was it and why did it disappear?

Google maps and others still show a shopping center on Shaver called Pasadena Plaza, but its not there. What was it and why did it disappear?

it was a small mall. i remember a porte cache for dropping off people and then when you went in you were in a "plaza" like area and you had to go up a short set of stairs to go to the rest of the mall. my memory isnt too good..so that may be wrong.

I seem to remember a Penneys and a Palais Royal as the main anchors. I Definately remember the Panchos. It had curved colorful booths and arched windows that opened into one of the mall hallways. the hallway had a barbershop in it.

i think Mi Tienda is there now and something else...maybe apartments. Seems like it was torn down in the mid-90s

There was a Whites Appliance on one end and a grocery store on the other. Byrds Pet Shop was always fun. I bought alot of turtles there. I remember the Palais Royal, a drug store, possibly Kresge's (spelling?) with a diner, a TSO, a Playhouse Toys, and an H & H Music. The H & H also sold records and you could actually play a record before you bought it. The plaza parking lot didn't have speed bumps - it had speed dips, and I remember Dad's car bottoming out on them.

There was a Whites Appliance on one end and a grocery store on the other. Byrds Pet Shop was always fun. I bought alot of turtles there. I remember the Palais Royal, a drug store, possibly Kresge's (spelling?) with a diner, a TSO, a Playhouse Toys, and an H & H Music. The H & H also sold records and you could actually play a record before you bought it. The plaza parking lot didn't have speed bumps - it had speed dips, and I remember Dad's car bottoming out on them.

There was also a Tandy Leather, which I remember well from my days as a Boy Scout in the mid-80's. Pasadena Plaza was pretty much on its last legs at that point.

Oh Yeah! I made a wallet from a Tandy leather kit one time - had completely forgotten about that. Spent days threading little leather strips through holes to make a wallet. I remember Zales too - bought my senior ring from Zales, Pasadena Plaza in '74. Man, that's going way back.

Does anyone remember Officer Garnett? He was an HPD Sgt. who used to make appearences on Kitterick's Carosel TV show to talk to kids about safety and trusting the cops. My brother and I saw him in Almeda Mall one day while walking back from one of those restrooms that was located down a long, winding corridor. He was dressed in full HPD regalia, wearing mirrored aviator shades and smoking a big cigar. We stared at him, stunned that we were actually seeing a famous television star. As he walked by us he said, "hi boys."

I can never even walk near that spot with out thinking of the late Officer Garnett.

I went to school with one of his sons. I was in the first grade - he was my first "crush".

I remember when he was killed.

He attended our church.

I was so sad.

Brought back hapy and sad memories at the same time.

it was a small mall. i remember a porte cache for dropping off people and then when you went in you were in a "plaza" like area and you had to go up a short set of stairs to go to the rest of the mall. my memory isnt too good..so that may be wrong.

I seem to remember a Penneys and a Palais Royal as the main anchors. I Definately remember the Panchos. It had curved colorful booths and arched windows that opened into one of the mall hallways. the hallway had a barbershop in it.

i think Mi Tienda is there now and something else...maybe apartments. Seems like it was torn down in the mid-90s

That was a beautifully designed mall. From what I can recall, it had three long narrow wings, the middle having the half circle porte-cochere "pedestrian drop off" with planters. Looked like a 1960's built structure, never had much business, when I was there, late 60's, early 70's. There was also a Kinney's or Thom McAnns , with the Buster Brown Golden Egg machine, with the glass display cases out front, like at Gulfgate. Also there was a huge Rexall store, near the pet shop. I can recall the long, sleekly polished mall floors. The bldg. was located West of the Montgomery Wards.

Anybody who truly remembers Almeda Mall from their childhood (mine was the 70's) remembers the best place in that whole mall ---- Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor. That was a dream trip when I was a kid to go to Farrell's and if someone was fortunate enough to have a birthday party there, it was awesome. Remember they also had the huge candy section as you left the store. The waiters/waitresses came out with the clanging bells and straw hats. The "Farrell's Zoo" served up to 10 people and two waitstaff had to bring it out. Those were the good old days!!

Almeda Mall: Where do I start?

I worked at the Chick Fil A part time for about 2-3 years. (My first job) I usually only worked on Saturday. I was in Jr High School at the time and thought the mall was huge. I went back a few weeks ago and had a feeling of sadness due the mall basically becoming a flea market. The Macy's store is about the only decent store there. And the mall seems very small now.

I spent many night going to the midnight movies at the Almeda Theaters and sneeking in to see "R" rated movies like "Porky's"....

Foley's: I remember the Ship in the Kids shoes area. I told my wife about that a few weeks ago as we walked thru the store. I also remember Foley's selling music. Upstairs, there was an area near the furniture area that you could buy vinal records, 8 tracks and cassetts. I remember some strange deal the music product was behind glass in a case on a wall. You picked the assigned number of the music product you wanted and the product would drop onto a belt and go to the cashier. I remember this because I bought a Rodney Dangerfield Vinal Album (that I still have) and brought it home to play for my mother. I had just seen Dangerfield host Saturday Night Live the night before and thought he was funny. The album was filled with four letter words and adult humor and my Mom flipped out that I bought it. I think I was 13 or so at the time.

The other thing about Foley's "Aztec" theme was a huge "Sun" mural that was located in the escalator between the 1st and 2nd floor. The sun had a smilimg face that I still remember today.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I drive by it every day on the way home. From the looks of it the Macy's has closed. If that's the case then Almeda Mall doesn't have long before its closed.

they had roof damage during ike and told employees they were going to reopen. they sent out a mailer in the last week or so that said which stores were closed as a result of the hurricane and to use the coupon at our other stores or something long those lines. it will be interesting to see what happens though. will hate to see it go, if it ultimately does.

they had roof damage during ike and told employees they were going to reopen. they sent out a mailer in the last week or so that said which stores were closed as a result of the hurricane and to use the coupon at our other stores or something long those lines. it will be interesting to see what happens though. will hate to see it go, if it ultimately does.

I still can't get used to calling this store "Macy's", not Foley's. Wonder if the sagging economy had something to do with Almeda's closing, along with the weather damage. The new retail development along the beltway probably hurt their business, as well. For some reason I remember sections of the mall floor having those dark bricks that were glazed, think it was in the food court, across from Lerners, very '70's touch. Thought Margo's La Mode was such an elegant store for rich people. Guess it was the name, :lol: . Almeda Mall was always so dark, didn't hold the intrigue for me that Gulfgate did, was much brighter & airy, with unique landscaping features & secret tunnel entrances.

I think a SuperTarget would be good in that location, know the other one has to be getting pretty ratty by now, has been there forever. Or has it been revamped? The new location would be better.

It's odd that a public library sits right in the middle of that back parking lot.

I still can't get used to calling this store "Macy's", not Foley's.

I think a SuperTarget would be good in that location, know the other one has to be getting pretty ratty by now, has been there forever. Or has it been revamped? The new location would be better.

It's odd that a public library sits right in the middle of that back parking lot.

me too espcially when you see the vintage F's on the door handles.

the almeda target will be closing in the near future as well and will move to pearland parkway and beltway 8. the library will be moving to the south belt area as well with a supposedly larger building.

me too espcially when you see the vintage F's on the door handles.

the almeda target will be closing in the near future as well and will move to pearland parkway and beltway 8. the library will be moving to the south belt area as well with a supposedly larger building.

I have always noticed vintage doors like those, have always hoped that those unique items find a special home somewhere, in a architectural "resale" establishment, instead of at the bottom of a pile of rubble.

My sister & great-grandmother attended the dedication of that library...your news is interesting, it's not so often that you hear of a public library moving in this city. They usually get redesigned on the same lot. Maybe it's due to the library sitting in that particular location, along with the obvious size issue.

While that Target is in serious need of a facelift, I will miss not having a Target close by if it moves to Pearland. At least I can get in and out of that store quickly. I wish they would open a SuperTarget around Gulfgate or Almeda.

My sister & great-grandmother attended the dedication of that library...your news is interesting, it's not so often that you hear of a public library moving in this city. They usually get redesigned on the same lot. Maybe it's due to the library sitting in that particular location, along with the obvious size issue.

i think the proposal i saw was to build it in conjunction with the county, like the freeman library in clear lake. i haven't heard anything recently to be honest.

While that Target is in serious need of a facelift, I will miss not having a Target close by if it moves to Pearland. At least I can get in and out of that store quickly. I wish they would open a SuperTarget around Gulfgate or Almeda.

The one they are building at Pearland Parkway and Belt Way 8 is still relatively close. I have also noticed that it looks like it won't be a Super Target. Only one entrance and smaller than the super version. It probably has to do with the HEB at Blackhawk and the proposed new Kroger just the other side of the Belt Way.

Archived