Whatever happened to

readam

Maybe I've been around too long but I was wondering whatever happened to these folks from the "old days" of Houston TV. Especially when we only had the Big Three KPRC, KGUL/KHOU and KTRK. Savage, Flaherity, Conaway, Ennis, Lasher and others I know have gone to the great transmitter in the sky but I don't know about these folks. Can some HAIF folks help me out?

KPRC Bob Nicholas , Paul Orsack(sp), Chris Chandler , Ted Shaw , Larry Rasco , Carl Mann, Lee Gordon

KHOU Judd McIlvain , Bebe Burns , Nick Gearhart , Johnny Temple

KTRK David Glodt , Don Kobos , Charlie Harrison , Bob Boudreaux, Betty Rogers , Paul Schmidt , Larry Connors,

Liz Brandt

Interesting list! Bob Nicolas was on the recent Channel 2 tribute to Ron Stone so I presume he is still alive. Larry Rasco may also have been - I stepped out of the room at a couple of points. Re: Carl Mann and Lee Gordon, do you also remember Bob Dundas and Jane Christopher of TV Kitchen? Marijane Vandiver?

David Glodt I believe parlayed his expose journalism skills into a job in NYC, at WABC-TV???, where KTRK-TV alum Dan Lovett was doing sports. A dated reference (1993) online shows him as Executive Producer of This Week with David Brinkley.

Is that Paul Schmidt as in Paul Schmidt and the Tuneschmidts?, a group that provided the music on Dick Gottlieb's Matinee on 2 in the very early 50s? I didn't remember him on 13.

Maybe I've been around too long but I was wondering whatever happened to these folks from the "old days" of Houston TV. Especially when we only had the Big Three KPRC, KGUL/KHOU and KTRK. Savage, Flaherity, Conaway, Ennis, Lasher and others I know have gone to the great transmitter in the sky but I don't know about these folks. Can some HAIF folks help me out?

KPRC Bob Nicholas , Paul Orsack(sp), Chris Chandler , Ted Shaw , Larry Rasco , Carl Mann, Lee Gordon

KTRK David Glodt , Don Kobos , Charlie Harrison , Bob Boudreaux, Betty Rogers , Paul Schmidt , Larry Connors,

Liz Brandt

judd is in los angeles.

bebe i thought was here. i still see her occasionally on pbs.

david glodt retired as producer of this week and i believe runs his own production company

don kobos is still at 13 i think as assist news director.

larry conners is working in st louis. i think i remember ktrk interviewing him when marvin zindler died.

i think charlie harrison passed in the last few years.

Interesting list! Bob Nicolas was on the recent Channel 2 tribute to Ron Stone so I presume he is still alive. Larry Rasco may also have been - I stepped out of the room at a couple of points. Re: Carl Mann and Lee Gordon, do you also remember Bob Dundas and Jane Christopher of TV Kitchen? Marijane Vandiver?

David Glodt I believe parlayed his expose journalism skills into a job in NYC, at WABC-TV???, where KTRK-TV alum Dan Lovett was doing sports. A dated reference (1993) online shows him as Executive Producer of This Week with David Brinkley.

Is that Paul Schmidt as in Paul Schmidt and the Tuneschmidts?, a group that provided the music on Dick Gottlieb's Matinee on 2 in the very early 50s? I didn't remember him on 13.

Schmidt was on Dialing for Dollars...Marijane Vandiver on 2 and later moved to 39 I think...Matinee was one of the early live studio shows on 2 and had Johhny Nash as an in studio performer...Are Mann and Gordon still alive or deceased... How about Mann's partner on UH Basketball-Art Casper?

I have no idea about Mann and Gordon but I'd imagine they're gone. Do you remember Bruce Layer? He was a play-by-play man on radio going back to the 20s and had worked for both the Press and Post, Sports Director of KPRC radio and took the same title for KPRC-TV. Gordon had an exercise show, he was Houston's Jack LaLanne in addition to other station duties. A poster on another forum reminded me of his live commercials during the evening news for Finger Furniture?

Here's my Houston Television timeline on my blog. There isn't much on personalities but Johnny Nash is mentioned (August/September 1953). I'm not doing much on TV but put this together from dates I collected while researching radio. There are stories on the launch of KLEE-TV, the flip of KLEE to KPRC-TV and the launch and demise of KNUZ-TV on the blog (Television section on the right sidebar). I'm hoping to get an account of the launch of KGUL-TV up soon.

TV was great in the early 50s and has only occasionally been as compelling since. I probably saw Schmidt on Dialing for Dollars (only saw the show a couple of times) but didn't remember him.

I have no idea about Mann and Gordon but I'd imagine they're gone. Do you remember Bruce Layer? He was a play-by-play man on radio going back to the 20s and had worked for both the Press and Post, Sports Director of KPRC radio and took the same title for KPRC-TV. Gordon had an exercise show, he was Houston's Jack LaLanne in addition to other station duties. A poster on another forum reminded me of his live commercials during the evening news for Finger Furniture?

Here's my Houston Television timeline on my blog. There isn't much on personalities but Johnny Nash is mentioned (August/September 1953). I'm not doing much on TV but put this together from dates I collected while researching radio. There are stories on the launch of KLEE-TV, the flip of KLEE to KPRC-TV and the launch and demise of KNUZ-TV on the blog (Television section on the right sidebar). I'm hoping to get an account of the launch of KGUL-TV up soon. TV was great in the early 50s and has only occasionally been as compelling since. I probably saw Schmidt on Dialing for Dollars (only saw the show a couple of times) but didn't remember him.

Paul Schmidt was at KPRC TV in the 50s and early 60s, and provided incidental music for the old Midnight With Marietta movies, and later the Bill Calder midnight TV show. Believe it or not, I ran into him in the mid 90s at a big luncheon I covered at the old Astrodome Hotel. He was still out there working, playing background piano music, and I made a point of telling him how much I always enjoyed the way he played the foil for Mariettta and Calder -- much like Paul Schaefer now does for David Letterman. He looked ancient, and I fear he may be dead now.

Larry Rasco passed away sometime in the early 80s. He was one of the nicest guys I ever worked with at KPRC. Easy going, unpretentious, funny, no trace of self-importance. Just like Ron Stone.

Johnny Temple passed away in 1994. Lee Gordon worked at KPRC till the late 70s, when Channel 26 went on the air. The owners hired Gordon to manage it. It didn't work out. The station later changed hands and call letters, and I don't know what happened to Gordon after that. If he's still living he's waaay up in years. He may well be living, because he was always into health and fitness in a big way.

Thanks for the heads up on Channel 39's archive; it brought back some memories...wish the other and older stations would do something similar...whatever happened to Pat Brown and Marijane ?

Thanks for the heads up on Channel 39's archive; it brought back some memories...wish the other and older stations would do something similar...whatever happened to Pat Brown and Marijane ?

Glad to help, I haven't had a chance to look at it myself. I plan to do some surfing there tonight.

• 2 years later...

Is that Paul Schmidt as in Paul Schmidt and the Tuneschmidts?, a group that provided the music on **** Gottlieb's Matinee on 2 in the very early 50s? I didn't remember him on 13.

paul schmidt was on dialing for dollars with troy dungan on 13.

Paul Schmidt was at KPRC TV in the 50s and early 60s, and provided incidental music for the old Midnight With Marietta movies, and later the Bill Calder midnight TV show. Believe it or not, I ran into him in the mid 90s at a big luncheon I covered at the old Astrodome Hotel. He was still out there working, playing background piano music, and I made a point of telling him how much I always enjoyed the way he played the foil for Mariettta and Calder -- much like Paul Schaefer now does for David Letterman. He looked ancient, and I fear he may be dead now.

Larry Rasco passed away sometime in the early 80s. He was one of the nicest guys I ever worked with at KPRC. Easy going, unpretentious, funny, no trace of self-importance. Just like Ron Stone.

Johnny Temple passed away in 1994. Lee Gordon worked at KPRC till the late 70s, when Channel 26 went on the air. The owners hired Gordon to manage it. It didn't work out. The station later changed hands and call letters, and I don't know what happened to Gordon after that. If he's still living he's waaay up in years. He may well be living, because he was always into health and fitness in a big way.

ch 26 went on the air in the first half of the 70s.

• 1 year later...

KHOU Judd McIlvain , Bebe Burns , Nick Gearhart , Johnny Temple

There are alumni pages on FaceBook for many of the local stations.

Judd McIlvain is in the Los Angeles - http://troubleshooterjudd.com/

Bebe Burns is retired in Houston

David Glodt does production in Houston http://theroadprojects.com/

Larry Connors is with KMOX-TV in St Louis http://www.kmov.com/on-tv/bios/64776117.html

• 4 weeks later...

Larry Connors update:  He's up to his ears in a very serious controversy with his TV station and the IRS over a personal rant he put on his Facebook page.  Check it out.

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/columns/joe-holleman/kmov-s-conners-off-the-air-until-further-notice-after/article_178e0d2f-163e-598a-b2fc-c50fd8d2c413.html

At first he claimed he's been audited by the IRS since an interview he did last year with President Obama. The latest is that he now admits the auditing began several years before the interview.

That bubbling sound you hear is his credibility circling the drain. Where's Marvin Zindler when you need him?

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...
On 6/29/2008 at 6:16 AM, readam said:

Liz Brandt

Nick Gearhart, my father, died January 26 1986. He died younger than I am at this writing (2019).

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Blue Dogs said:

Whatever happened to Mary Ann Conway ?

Assuming you mean Mary-Ellen Conway, she is (or was) a practicing attorney. She was also involved in a lawsuit about ten years ago with the estate of Ben Taub's nephew Henry J. N. Taub, after contending that she had been married to him.

Ex-TV reporter loses bid for piece of Taub estate

I can help with a couple of these. Ted Shaw is still living, hale and hearty and retired. Larry Rasco passed away in the 80s.

Bob Boudreaux now lives in Europe where he's an actor and a producer at the Prague Shakespeare Company. He's also on Facebook. You'll love his cover photo. I recently spotted him in one of the chapters of the TV mini-series about Albert Einstein in 2017. He played an American congressman. 

On 1/18/2020 at 3:14 PM, mkultra25 said:

Assuming you mean Mary-Ellen Conway, she is (or was) a practicing attorney. She was also involved in a lawsuit about ten years ago with the estate of Ben Taub's nephew Henry J. N. Taub, after contending that she had been married to him.

Ex-TV reporter loses bid for piece of Taub estate

YIKES! 

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2020 at 10:19 PM, FilioScotia said:

I can help with a couple of these. Ted Shaw is still living, hale and hearty and retired.

An interesting bit of trivia about Ted Shaw that I didn't know until years after he had retired: He actually was the weatherman on duty when his station in Wichita Falls covered an F5 tornado live for viewers in 1964. It was one of, if not the first, instances of this happening anywhere.

Archived