METRORail Green Line

Guest danax

There's never been a peep about mixed use anything on that site, until now. I just don't buy it.

I think that they were viewing the property in the light of what it could potentially be placed there once rail and gentrifying forces worked their magic, but were either misrepresented or inarticulate. But in light of that the site is actually bounded by active freight rails on two sides and that the overpass ruins visibility and accessibility, I'm not sure that housing or retail would ever be appropriate for the site.

$3/sq ft?...sounds underpriced...I don't oppose the rail line...just the service facility...still have mixed feelings regarding the overpass...but adding the service facility would only make the area more industrial. I understand that the East End has been historically industrial, but the EEMD is trying to change that and applaud their efforts.

$3 isn't necessarily bad for a site that large. And I have to wonder whether it can pass a Phase II environmental study; the price could ultimately come down.

I vaguely recall having heard from someone that the Central City Industrial Park has deed restrictions preventing residential land uses, though. And since retail there is out of the question, it doesn't leave many options.

sure isn't the going rate.

I'm not sure that there is any such thing as a 'going rate' along older commercial streets, like Harrisburg. Different lot sizes and configurations, prominence on corners, railroad tracks, and numerous amenities (Eastwood Park) and disamenities (bus stations) make the valuation of each individual parcel kind of a chore.

I'm not sure that there is any such thing as a 'going rate' along older commercial streets, like Harrisburg. Different lot sizes and configurations, prominence on corners, railroad tracks, and numerous amenities (Eastwood Park) and disamenities (bus stations) make the valuation of each individual parcel kind of a chore.

but the avg is at least double digits. i know a couple of investors who hawk the east side.

but the avg is at least double digits. i know a couple of investors who hawk the east side.

Yeah, you're correct about that. But this is just a particularly unattractive and large site with relatively little Harrisburg frontage. The price will be much, much lower.

It's just like the protestor's were saying to the media. Seems this thing will come through no matter what you do or say.

Harrisburg is already a hellish tight squeeze as you pass through now, imagine with this thing coming through? Any bordering streets will be getting the cars/trucks going around this thing to get to where they need to get to. Remove all children from your neighborhoods now! Then there are those halfway houses for drunks futher down. Will be very interesting.

As long as they dont hurt Lenox Barbecue. :blush:

Harrisburg is already a hellish tight squeeze as you pass through now, imagine with this thing coming through? Any bordering streets will be getting the cars/trucks going around this thing to get to where they need to get to.

That's why Harrisburg will be widened. I'm all for it, if nothing else because otherwise the overpass over the train tracks will probably never be built. The 50 is practically useless as a bus route in part because it's stuck behind the damn train half the time. I live two miles from my job but have to drive or bike there because I never know if the 50 will get me to work five minutes early or twenty minutes late.

Edited by arisegundo

That's why Harrisburg will be widened. I'm all for it, if nothing else because otherwise the overpass over the train tracks will probably never be built. The 50 is practically useless as a bus route in part because it's stuck behind the damn train half the time. I live two miles from my job but have to drive or bike there because I never know if the 50 will get me to work five minutes early or twenty minutes late.

I'm a Eastview resident and wondering how it will affect my area...traffic-wise...There's already a shopping strip 25 ft from the RR...I was excited to see that, now if only Central City would be demo'd and have a nice park instead...(in my dreams right?) ^_^

Edited by CHiPs

sure isn't the going rate.

Wow, man $ 3 bucks darn you can't even buy a gallon of gasoline for $3 bucks, that would put a damper on things if I was a land owner there if I didn't want to sell.

As for the over pass I am all for it. Man I live in the area. Last time I almost pulled my hair out. I kid you not, I got stuck waiting on a train on Telephone, then on the tracks by Lockwood/Harrisburg, and then again at the Harrisburge right by the darn Family Dollar. That day was horrible, and I remember saying why the hell they don't just build a freaking overpass to avoid this kind of crap. I will love this overpass.

I grew up in DH moved to the suburbs and now I moved back. Screw the high taxes, long comute. The area I live in is being rebuild and up and coming with lofts and condos. So high property taxes are around the corner but what the heck so is my job. Love it DT is only 7 minutes away.

What is the big deal with the service facility anyway? How is that out of place there? I hope everyone understands that the whole East End has pretty much been an industrial/blue collar area for generations. And suddenly they're too good for a maintenance shed? Spare us. Isn't this basically over there on Harrisburg by Thunderbolt and the RR tracks and whatnot?

I can understand why some people scared of being gentrified out would oppose the rail line, but I don't understand the problem with this facility. Yes, it could go over in the Hardy Rail Yards, but when the rail system gets big enough there will probably need to be more than one service facility. It makes sense to have one there. Isn't the Hardy Rail Yards where the Intermodal station is supposed to be?

Edited by BrewsterMcCloud

Yes, the Hardy Rail Yards is where the Intermodal Station is suppose to be. Metro has renderings of the service facility. Go to their website and click on the Metro Solutions link. It is right there on the front.

It would be nice if Metro could maybe go with some red-brick, old town railroad theme with the facility. Have it blend in.

Edited by Trae

Yes, it could go over in the Hardy Rail Yards, but when the rail system gets big enough there will probably need to be more than one service facility. It makes sense to have one there. Isn't the Hardy Rail Yards where the Intermodal station is supposed to be?

Hardy Yards is more expensive dirt. It'd be crazy to put a service facility there.

Well, it appears that they are going to have a ground breaking on Thursday. A ceremonial one, but I'll take what I can get. Construction is going to start between Milby and Lockwood in 4000ft segments.

One thing I either forgot or didn't know about is that the East Side and Uptown lines are going to be completely funded by Metro.

Article.

Well, it appears that they are going to have a ground breaking on Thursday. A ceremonial one, but I'll take what I can get. Construction is going to start between Milby and Lockwood in 4000ft segments.

One thing I either forgot or didn't know about is that the East Side and Uptown lines are going to be completely funded by Metro.

Article.

We're finally getting somewhere. This really is a ground-breaking achievement in and of itself!

Right on!

I am all for it too! Remove all the sleazy red light bars that have plagued (and caused misery) to that area for generations! :angry:

There was an excellent long story (in the Hou Press) of a long time resident that described his typical plight of the hellish and excruciating time it takes for those trains to pass exactly where you stated. If caught at RR tracks at Polk/Harrisburg/Lawndale you can wait for about 30-45 minutes and thats on a good day. Problem, residents do not speak up, renters do not care. Ok flame is lit...truth there it is. Peace, love and all that jazz!

Edited by Vertigo58

Let's get this show on the road. I was downright giddy seeing the orange spray paint all over Harrisburg this morning. The anxiety over the maintenance facility is much ado about nothing.

That would be cool if someone started taking photos, from start to finish.

As for the over pass I am all for it. Man I live in the area. Last time I almost pulled my hair out. I kid you not, I got stuck waiting on a train on Telephone, then on the tracks by Lockwood/Harrisburg, and then again at the Harrisburge right by the darn Family Dollar. That day was horrible, and I remember saying why the hell they don't just build a freaking overpass to avoid this kind of crap. I will love this overpass.

Screw the high taxes, long comute. The area I live in is being rebuild and up and coming with lofts and condos. So high property taxes are around the corner but what the heck so is my job. Love it DT is only 7 minutes away.

I know that's right! Everyone come back...comeback.... :lol:

When any of you get stuck at the very places mentioned above, make sure you do not have to use the Rest room.

Best to carry (in your auto) a magazine, book, playing cards, crochet or weave a basket, etc. the train waiting is quite pathetic. Councilmen/women yelp! yelp!

Is it just the rail line that is getting the overpass, or the entire road?

From the Metro Brochure (pg.4)

"How will the rail line cross the freight rail line to reach the Magnolia Transit Center? A grade separation (an elevated, overpass structure) must be created for vehicular and rail traffic to safely cross the Union Pacific Railroad crossing at the 6200 block of Harrisburg Blvd. The Gulf Coast Freight Rail District is the lead organization on the project, and METRO is working closely with them to construct this structure as soon as possible. "

Yes, the Hardy Rail Yards is where the Intermodal Station is suppose to be. Metro has renderings of the service facility. Go to their website and click on the Metro Solutions link. It is right there on the front.

It would be nice if Metro could maybe go with some red-brick, old town railroad theme with the facility. Have it blend in.

I saw the rendering on the brochure...one rendering ...wow!..don't care to much for it...looks bland and more like a aluminum shed than an "old town" feel. Maybe it'll change.

From the Metro Brochure (pg.4)

"How will the rail line cross the freight rail line to reach the Magnolia Transit Center? A grade separation (an elevated, overpass structure) must be created for vehicular and rail traffic to safely cross the Union Pacific Railroad crossing at the 6200 block of Harrisburg Blvd. The Gulf Coast Freight Rail District is the lead organization on the project, and METRO is working closely with them to construct this structure as soon as possible. "

That will be very interesting and of more interest when the developer of this NEW business center has to deal with that overpass completely blocking his/her brand new shopping strip smack next to the RR tracks. Guess no one is ever happy. Smell litigation? :(

4do85c6.jpg

With the rail coming in, will you ride it into Downtown for work?

If I'm still in my shoebox apartment on Harrisburg in four years, sure. Even if I move I'd like to stay as close to the line as possible.

Hmm, this would give me an excuse to buy a shiny new camera...

Edited by arisegundo

Agreed, We can make this is into a HAIF project. Have people take pics before the project and have it updated every month or so.

Could be our way of actually capturing history before its gone(changed?).

Agreed, We can make this is into a HAIF project. Have people take pics before the project and have it updated every month or so.

Could be our way of actually capturing history before its gone(changed?).

Yes, very nice. How should we carry this out...in a thread? via the image gallery? It'd be nice if we could keep this somewhat uniform.

Yes, very nice. How should we carry this out...in a thread? via the image gallery? It'd be nice if we could keep this somewhat uniform.

Initially, I was thinking gallery with captions, but now I'm not so certain. perhaps pics taken, captioned and then a mod can organize them?

I might be game for that. I've been wanting to explore more of the East End anyway...

Cool, we can really get creative with this. Maybe photos from each photographer could have a different theme of some sort, I don't know. But it might be boring if everyone takes pictures of the same things the same way...