Court At Museum's Gate Condominiums At 4004 Montrose Blvd.

Does anyone have any information about this complex? Any ideas on maintenence fees?

Ever known anyone that lived there? I'm wondering about security, noise, demographics, that kind of stuff. Are any of the units leased?

I've sent off a few emails and I find that I'm rather impatient.

(If it doesnt ring a bell its the brick complex sitting in front of St. Thomas Univ., next door to the Black Labrador and across the street from Diedrichs Coffee.)

Thanks.

• Like 1

It started off as a rental property. Not sure when the conversion to condo took place or how much they put into the complex in order to take it "condo."

You can't beat the location. Would imagine that they built it solid enough to block out the street noise.

From what I was told by a realtor about three years ago, the property looks good and of course is in a fabulous location. But she usually had a hard time selling listings there because of some pretty poor construction that resulted in issues with leaking windows and door frames in many units. It also had some major flooding problems during Allison, with many residents losing their cars and everything in their storage units because all of those areas of the complex experienced severe flooding. Granted a flood like that doesn't happen every year, and it may be decades before we see a repeat of June 9, 2001. But at the time she was working with me Allison was a very recent memory and she was recommending her clients look at other properties because of the flood damage to the complex and the issues with the units' construction.

I know a couple who lived in that complex. Their unit was a very unique multi-level floorplan. The complex also features very interesting private rooftop terraces with beautiful views of the UST campus. The experience is similar to being up in a tree house. The 2nd floor swimming pool has windows built in the sides of it, so when you are underwater, you can look through and see the sidewalk outside. Very cool.

Unfortunately, they did lose both of their cars in the underground parking garage in the aforementioned flood. However, I would imagine this could happen in any underground parking situation.

Another plus: walking distance to Kroger, Walgreens, and several other little shops and restaurants on Montrose.

Let us know how you like it!

Danny

I lived there in the mid 90's in #7. Loved it. Incredibly quiet or else I had neighbors with hearing problems because I played my stereo very loud without ever a single complaint, plus I never heard anyone else. The pool area is very cool, and the location as described above is hard to beat if you are in inner loop kind of person.

Only drawbacks, the finishes, appliances, and fixtures need major updating in most units. There are 20+ floorplans and some are much, much better than others, but on the whole it is one of the best designed developments ever in Houston - in my opinion.

Saw one of the units tonight and liked it alot. Was one of the 900 sf 1 bedrooms. Going back maybe tomorrow to see another unit. I love the roof terrace but I have to agree about the finishes. This one has some recent improvements (slate from entryway to kitchen and bathrooms, russian hardwoods throughout) but most of the kitchen appliances look ancient.

I really like the detail on the outside of the building, the lap pool, and the multilevel maze-like feel of the grounds. I need to see it during the day now.

Thanks for the info btw. :)

Does anyone know if all of the units have the rooftop patio space, or is that just for the ones on the top floor?

Another thing I liked about this place: There is an incredible feeling of privacy despite this being a high density complex. The staggering of the walkways, exterior shapes, and multiple levels make each unit feel like its own building.

Does anyone know if all of the units have the rooftop patio space, or is that just for the ones on the top floor?

Another thing I liked about this place:  There is an incredible feeling of privacy despite this being a high density complex.  The staggering of the walkways, exterior shapes, and multiple levels make each unit feel like its own building.

Only the upper two story units and the three story units have roof-top decks. The one-story ground floor units have ground floor patios, some of them quite nice.

I was telling a friend that it kind of reminded me of something but I just couldnt put my finger on it... and it just dawned on me on my way in to work. The way that the ground level is actually something like 8 feet above street level and the self contained upper level courtyard and lap pool all remind me of being on a cruise ship.

4024409-006.jpg

4024409-007.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I closed on my 1220 sf 2/1.5 1985 era condo yesterday. It's a nice faux-mod/art-deco style that will lend itself nicely to lots of renovation. It is at 4004 Montrose, The Court at Museum's Gate. Right next to the Black Lab. We could go back and forth about it being montrose or museum district but it doesnt matter to me its mine!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/lowbrow909/hr1441070-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/lowbrow909/hr1441070-15.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/lowbrow909/hr1441070-6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/lowbrow909/IMG_0074.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/lowbrow909/IMG_0075.jpg

Congratulations. From the AIA Houston Architectural Guide:"...in the effusive postmodern style of the '80s...urban in intention...experientally schematic and formalistically overdetermined..." Translation anyone for us laymen?

A friend of mine who was an attorney for El Paso Gas lived there about 10 years ago. It is very nice. Fabulous location. He was renting his unit. Has it been converted to condos?

Thanks All.

It is full condo as far as I know. A few of the units are investment properties for some people I talked with and have been rented out.

.. and No, definately not going to be missing pearland. :)

edit: oh yeah now I'm eating my words that I didnt care if some big name architect designed the montrose/59 bridge..... ack!

Good work. I think you come realize the benefits of owning and living intown (assuming that is where you want to be).

It is none of my business so tell me to screw off if you like, but how much are your maintenance fees over there. Those fees scare me.

The pool looks awesome !!! Congrats !!

My maintenence fees are $367/mo., the one bedrooms were like $240-290 and the big 3 bedrooms were about $575.

That includes all the external maintenence, insurance up to the sheetrock, water and sewage, electric gates and they maintain a nice carry-over balance in leiu of assessment fees for any major work to be done. It seems well managed. I made sure to look through the last few years budgets and minutes for the last couple association meetings.

My maintenence fees are $367/mo., the one bedrooms were like $240-290 and the big 3 bedrooms were about $575.

That includes all the external maintenence, insurance up to the sheetrock, water and sewage, electric gates and they maintain a nice carry-over balance  in leiu of assessment fees for any major work to be done. It seems well managed. I made sure to look through the last few years budgets and minutes for the last couple association meetings.

I suppose that is not too bad. If that included Electricity it would be a great price. At the end of the day I end up paying close to $250 monthly for similar services at my townhouse. I only pay $75 a month, but then I pay a yard man another $80 and my montly insurance bill is probably another $75.

Yeah I was looking at another property in midtown. A bit bigger, no pool, and no insurance for $210/mo. I liked this place alot more and decided the extra $150 a month would be ok.

$367 a month does make a $160k house feel like a $210k house though when it hits your pocket each month. The thing is to me it is a $210k value.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, life throws ya twisties. I ended up buying the place, fixing it up a bunch and then never moving in. I bought it in April, had floors torn up and the concrete stained, moved all my stuff in, went and got married, moved all my stuff out and into her bigger condo in uptown. And I never slept one wink in Montrose. So I put it on the market to sell or lease. Whichever works out. I'm in a lose/lose money situation either way.

MY HAR

• 1 month later...

So, Lowbrow, how much work have you had to do? How much work is left to be done? I actually have a friend who is looking for places and I noticed that your place is on her list! She is a single woman in her early/mid 20's. For the same price as your place she has several new construction homes, so that is why we are considering how much work she will need to do. We have a friend who lives @ 4004 Montrose and loves it.

I have a close friend searching for a townhome/condo. She is wanting a more established neighborhood, such as Monrose, West U, Museum District. We are interested in a property at 4004 Montrose, The Court at Museums Gate. Does anyone know anything about the building? What about neighborhood trends as far as appreciation/depreciation? I think that the place is pretty nice and the location is nearly unbeatable. We have, however, found new construction for about the same price ($174,900) in the Museum District as well as Rice Military.