Houston Station Sign-Off

Ptarmigan

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

If KTRK signed off, did it go static or did they use a test pattern? Same goes with any Houston television station that signed off in the 1970s to early 1990s. When I was a kid, the only station I remember seeing signing off was KUHT and they did it early enough for me to see. They would play the American anthem and go all static. 

No, it was running in the late 1960s when Ch 11 signed off after the Late Show (the movie they ran after the 10:00 pm news) I remember it from when I was a kid. back then Ch.11 signed off at 12:00 to 12:30 am.

The same version ran for many years. Musical version with nature scenes

Back in the early 70s when Ch 26 was KVRL they had a version with a person reciting the Lords Prayer, while an American Indian followed the narration in sign language.

Are you talking about this one? This one is from a Tulsa station in the 1970s.

• 2 weeks later...

If KTRK signed off, did it go static or did they use a test pattern? Same goes with any Houston television station that signed off in the 1970s to early 1990s. When I was a kid, the only station I remember seeing signing off was KUHT and they did it early enough for me to see. They would play the American anthem and go all static. 

The maybe two times I've seen that happen this decade on 13, it was static.

The maybe two times I've seen that happen this decade on 13, it was static.

I didn't know that KTRK signed-off outright in this decade. I figured that would be common in the 1970s and 1980s. If 13 went static, it probably happened in 2000 on a weekend. I did see 13 do their so-called sign off and they went to World News Now. The only station that signs off is 11 and they do it on Saturdays and Sundays around 4:00 AM. It's for 20 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you talking about this one? This one is from a Tulsa station in the 1970s.

The one ch 26 ran was different, this site has a copy of the original one I saw back when 26 was KVRL / KDOG :

http://www.macfilms.com/mixed%20ads%20181-190.htm

MIXED ADS 189

10) PSA: The Lord’s Prayer: Shows an elderly American Indian man performing the Lord’s Prayer in Native American sign language——performed by Chief Shatka Bear-Step, voice-over by Walt Conley, contributed by the Appaloosa Horse Club.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Quite a few stations used color bars while they were off the air, with a single test tone. Some, like KPRC, pasted the legal ID (KPRC-TV 2 HOUSTON, TEXAS) over the color bars. When I was a kid, I'd stay up all night (at least as long as I could manage at that age) and watch them go off the air. Channel 8 was always the first off. Once I got my first remote controlled set, I could jump from channel to channel and play music with the varying test tones.

Never underestimate the power of insomnia, lol.

Quite a few stations used color bars while they were off the air, with a single test tone. Some, like KPRC, pasted the legal ID (KPRC-TV 2 HOUSTON, TEXAS) over the color bars. When I was a kid, I'd stay up all night (at least as long as I could manage at that age) and watch them go off the air. Channel 8 was always the first off. Once I got my first remote controlled set, I could jump from channel to channel and play music with the varying test tones.

Never underestimate the power of insomnia, lol.

You're not alone.

I used to stay up to watch those sequences when I was a kid because I thought it was weirdly fascinating in a way. I'd figure out a way to see if I could catch them on a Sunday night and it was generally successful. I'll admit to trying to play a "tune" with the different tone frequencies as well... It amused me at least

What's crazy was it wasn't really that long ago that stations were still signing off at least regularly. Even 13 would do it maybe once or twice a year. The last of the full-power stations to drop the sequences, KETH, only did so maybe a year or two back. Seems weird not seeing them leave at 1 AM Monday mornings anymore.

• 1 year later...

No station doesn't sign off now a days.

If you mean "no station signs off nowadays", you're almost right. Many TV and radio stations will sign off at midnight on a Sunday every few months so their engineers can do routine maintenance on the transmitter, and that requires turning the transmitter off. However, it is also true that many stations have two transmitters - a primary and a backup - which allows them to always have one of them up and operating. 

Periodic and regularly scheduled preventive maintenance is absolutely necessary to keep high power transmitters and the associated electrical equipment operating smoothly. 

• 4 years later...

I had sought repeatedly every now and then, to find  the recording of the channel 11 End of Broadcasting Day. I mainly remember a male singer with a great voice. I never thought to check in here with y'all. I used love staying up late enough just to listen to that wonderful song.

Archived