Sign in to follow this  
lokithebubba

Question on Cover of 'Houston Then and Now'

lokithebubba    11

On the cover, middle of the top half, there is what appears to be a roller-coaster. From what I can tell, it would be on the south bank of White Oak Bayou. Anyone know anything about this?

gnu    53
On the cover, middle of the top half, there is what appears to be a roller-coaster. From what I can tell, it would be on the south bank of White Oak Bayou. Anyone know anything about this?

it's Luna Park...search Haif...there have been several threads on it.

ad below borrowed from isuredid in the old amusement park thread:

Luna_Park_Advertisement.jpg

FilioScotia    112
That's it exactly. And there is an odd shaped building that might be part of the same structure on the right.

I'm interested in deducing precisely "where" that roller coaster was.

If you look at the streets coming out of the downtown area, you can figure out that it was at or near the current intersections of Houston Avenue, I-10 and Beauchamp.

We can see the old Houston Police station on Rusk, where Bayou Place now stands. We can see that old power plant that's still there but now part of the downtown Aquarium.

Those old landmarks help us pinpoint the future sites of the police station building at 61 Riesner, and the City Courts Building at Lubbock and Houston Avenue.

Trace Houston Avenue north and it appears that the roller coaster stood approximately where Houston Avenue now goes over I-10, and the entire park was where I-10 and I-45 converge.

Now when I drive into or out of downtown on either of those freeways, I will always visualize an old amusement park under those overpasses.

Edited by FilioScotia