Ron Stone of KHOU/KPRC-TV

brucesw

Excuse me if this has been posted before - I haven't seen it - but I've learned from a broadcaster's message board that Ron Stone is gravely ill with brain cancer. According to info from one of Ron's sons obtained by HAIFer FilioScotia, he has entered a hospice and the end is presumed to be near.

Not sure why there's been no coverage of this on any of the local stations.

I never met him but always watched him; when he was on 2 (and before that 11) that was my station for TV news. There is scarecely any TV journalist in Houston for whom I would profess more respect and admiration.

Sad to hear :( I never actually met him personally that I remember, but I knew his son Billy pretty well from going to school with him for 9 years and football and other sports and had been to their house a few times and met his wife (Billys mom)

he was a great reporter and an icon to me.....loved his reporting and his other shows like Eyes of Texas

Will pray for him

:)

Not sure why there's been no coverage of this on any of the local stations.

Probably because with the rapid turnover in the broadcasting industry the local newsrooms are saying, "Ron Who?"

I worked in TV news in Houston from 1999-2003, and I never heard of him.

It's simply because TV news is a transient industry now. It's not like the old days. There is no institutional memory.

Probably because with the rapid turnover in the broadcasting industry the local newsrooms are saying, "Ron Who?" I worked in TV news in Houston from 1999-2003, and I never heard of him. It's simply because TV news is a transient industry now. It's not like the old days. There is no institutional memory.

A minor correction for brucesw. Ron Stone is in "hospice" at his home. He'll die in his own bed, with his family and loved ones around him. I can't think of a more peaceful way to go.

As for why this hasn't been reported, I'm guessing it's because the family has asked the TV stations and other news outlets for privacy. Even though it's not a "secret", and a lot of people seem to be aware of it, the media aren't reporting it out of respect for Stone's reputation and stature in this town.

If that's the reason, my opinion of local TV news has gone up several quantum jumps. TV news isn't known for having any respect for anybody's privacy.

It's also probable that all the TV stations have his obit already prepared and ready to run when the time comes. That's SOP with well known people.

I'm flabbergasted that anyone could work four years in Houston TV news and never learn of Ron Stone. But as "editor" says, it's not like the old days. No one stays around long enough for a station to have any institutional memory. So sad.

Just heard on the news that Ron Stone has passed as a result of prostrate cancer. RIP Mr. Stone and thank you for the years of service to the community as a news man and an entertainer.

True story that might underscore his popularity back in the day.

When my father finally had to start wearing glasses sometime around '79-'80, he asked the optometrist's assistant (wish I could remember the store - R.J. Cassidy's, perhaps?) if they had any frame styles similar to what Ron Stone wore.

Without missing a beat, the assistant asked, "Gold or silver tone?"

"Silver, I suppose...."

She turned her head a bit and called, "Frank, could you please bring me the silver Rons?" :D

Ron Stone is Houston history. I remember seeing him on the news since childhood! An institution. His son was broadcasting for a while but seems to have vanished? His voice was very similar to his dad's.

There needs to be a documentary done on Mr Stone. RIP -_-

I worked at Jim's restaurant at Gessner and the SWF the summer of '79. Ron Stone and Doug Johnson used to come in there all the time to eat. They were such cutups. It was so amusing to watch their repoire on TV as well.

Ron Stone is Houston history. I remember seeing him on the news since childhood! An institution. His son was broadcasting for a while but seems to have vanished? His voice was very similar to his dad's. There needs to be a documentary done on Mr Stone. RIP -_-

Ron Stone Jr. and his brother Bill Stone are now in charge at Stone Films of Texas, the film production company their father started back in the 90s.

KPRC is planning a one-hour tribute to the life of Ron Stone Saturday at 7pm.

It's hard to find words that adequately describe Ron Stone, but the word "genuine" comes as close as any, for everyone who ever met him or saw him on TV. What you saw was what you got.

I remember him mainly from "Eyes of Texas" and I loved that show. I moved to Houston in 1990 and remember watching him on Channel 2 until he retired but its "Eyes of Texas" that I have the foundest memories of him. I learned alot about Texas just by watching that show.

Thank you Mr. Stone :D R.I.P.

Growing up, there's nobody I can say that made me want to go into broadcasting more than Mr. Stone. Even though I didn't know exactly what it was about him when I was younger... the delivery, professionalism and overall sincerity he seemed to exude just spoke to me even if I didn't know the exact names of the concepts. I remember going and telling my parents a number of times that I wanted to be like him when I grew up!

There's actually a picture from when I was 5 or 6 sitting in a chair with some large glasses on and a microphone in in hand. Only one person in mind when I asked my mom to take the photo. :D

R.I.P.

• 9 years later...

I have been thinking about the Ron Stone Cowboy today.

Was there a costume and special song lyrics to this routine? 

How about a sidekick named DJ? 

A video?

Such fun on The Scene at Five.

I am still loyal to Channel 2 from the great memories. 

Archived