New HAIF Features

editor

If you've been on HAIF for more than a couple of months, then you probably know that we're constantly adding and tweaking the site. New features are added all the time, and several have gone live in the last couple of days.

Google Search

gallery_1_86_23127.jpg

It's no secret that the search function built in to the forum software isn't always the best tool for the job. It can be frustrating when it doesn't find any results for something you know is on HAIF. So, now when you click on the Search button your search will be handled by Google, instead. Type in your search terms and click "Google Search" and you're on your way. If you want to search the whole internet, instead of just HAIF, then click the "web" button. Or if you want to use the old search tool (useful for searching for posts by a particular user), then click "More search options."

More profile options while reading threads

gallery_1_86_40458.jpg

When you're reading a thread, you can learn more about the people whose writing you are reading. Hover your mouse over the user's name and click the down arrow to unfold a menu of options. This has been here for a while, but new options were added a couple of days ago:

• View Member Blog - to view their blog, if they have one.
  • View Member Albums - to view the photos they've uploaded to the HAIF photo gallery.
  • Find Member Topics/Posts - one of these options is new; I forget which one.

This is also an illustration of why you should not only upload an avatar, but also a personal photo. You don't have to show yourself, I know a lot of people are worried about privacy. But maybe your cat or dog or turtle or something else that can help identify you in a personal way to others who are interested in you.

More profile information

A lot of people have gotten a lot of use out of the user profiles, especially the ability to rate other users. Now there are new options.

About Me lets you tell people about yourself and your background.

gallery_1_86_65940.jpg

Gallery lets people see your pictures, right from your profile page.

gallery_1_86_20884.jpg

Blog lets people read your blog entries, right from your profile page.

gallery_1_86_177509.jpg

Comments lets you see what other people have said about you.

gallery_1_86_48064.jpg

Settings lets you change all sorts of things related to you, your profile page, and how others see you.

gallery_1_86_209.jpg

There are lots of other smaller changes, but these are the big ones that I can remember right now.

Many of the changes made to HAIF (like the Google search) are user suggestions, so if you think of a way to improve the forum, send me a PM and if I can do it, chances are I will.

Archived