"The Eyes of Texas" rebroadcasts on KUHT

JLWM8609

I remember the show from my childhood when Ron Stone hosted it, but I saw some rebroadcasts of it on PBS today with Ray Miller. They showed a rebroadcast of a story from 1990 about a town outside of Amarillo on old US 66, and a story from 1979 about a guy named Stanley Marsh III, the guy responsible for the infamous Cadillac Ranch sculpture.

They showed a rebroadcast of a story from 1990 about a town outside of Amarillo on old US 66, and a story from 1979 about a guy named Stanley Marsh III, the guy responsible for the infamous Cadillac Ranch sculpture.

The old Cadillac Ranch has moved since that show. By the mid-1980s the city of Amarillo had spread so far down I-40 that the Caddy's were within rocks throw of a shopping mall. So he dug them up and replanted them several miles west. Took my sons there last year. Love that part of Texas.

Somewhat related, Harris County is currently working to archive Ray Miller's Harris Conty Historian archives.

They have boxes and boxes of his stuff. I hear it's pretty cool.

Watching these rebroadcasts is one of my fave Saturday afternoon activities when at the beach. We only have rabbit ears down there so it's pretty retro while sipping a cocktail.

I saw one last week from 1971 and I think Don Armstrong was the narrator.

Archived