So nice out!

HtownWxBoy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was so nice yesterday that I actually went to the zoo all by myself. I have a seven year old daughter, so I get plenty of zoo time with her, but yesterday after breakfast I had a powerful urge to sit outside and read "His Dark Materials". I drove around thinking about places to sit and ended up reading a while in Hermann park. Then I started wondering what the orangutans were doing on such a nice day. Turns out the little one was making a bed out of the sports section of the Chronicle, then throwing it all over the place, then collecting it and repeating the whole process. Even little orangs have really good arms for unfolding newspapers. I sat on the bench across from the orangs for a long time, reading and enjoying the sounds of humans. It's a little shocking to see so many people enjoying our zoo.

...It's a little shocking to see so many people enjoying our zoo...

NEVER go on weekend, especially with weather we've been having lately. I tried once, but... the parking lot was... dare I say... a zoo. Took a long lunch during the week, like on a Wednesday, it was heaven. No waiting. No parking lot madness. ...and the goats in the petting zoo loved me. Although... I've noticed that the goats are so indifferent. They've been pet too much. They just don't seem to care anymore - and there is no way out for them. =(

NEVER go on weekend, especially with weather we've been having lately. I tried once, but... the parking lot was... dare I say... a zoo.

It's all about timing and positive alignment of your luck particles. It doesn't get really packed until church lets out. I drove over around 11:30 expecting to use one of the museum pay lots, but just happened to swing by an empty space in the zoological gardens.

NEVER go on weekend, especially with weather we've been having lately. I tried once, but... the parking lot was... dare I say... a zoo. Took a long lunch during the week, like on a Wednesday, it was heaven. No waiting. No parking lot madness. ...and the goats in the petting zoo loved me. Although... I've noticed that the goats are so indifferent. They've been pet too much. They just don't seem to care anymore - and there is no way out for them. =(

Arrive before 10:30 a.m on a weekend and you're okay. They open at 9:00 and the animals are still a little frisky in the a.m.

It was so nice yesterday that I actually went to the zoo all by myself. I have a seven year old daughter, so I get plenty of zoo time with her, but yesterday after breakfast I had a powerful urge to sit outside and read "His Dark Materials". I drove around thinking about places to sit and ended up reading a while in Hermann park. Then I started wondering what the orangutans were doing on such a nice day. Turns out the little one was making a bed out of the sports section of the Chronicle, then throwing it all over the place, then collecting it and repeating the whole process. Even little orangs have really good arms for unfolding newspapers. I sat on the bench across from the orangs for a long time, reading and enjoying the sounds of humans. It's a little shocking to see so many people enjoying our zoo.

OMG I LOVE LOVE LOVE THE LITTLE ONE!! Is that not the cutest animal in the whole zoo!!! :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we're possibly going to have some rain this weekend. We probably need it. However, we are very lucky, indeed. By comparison, here's the late April forecast for Cleveland:

Monday Night
: mostly cloudy with a chance of rain showers. A chance of
snow showers
after midnight. Much cooler with lows in the mid 30s. Chance of precipitation 50 percent.

Tuesday
: mostly cloudy. A chance of rain or
snow showers
in the morning. Cooler with
highs in the lower 40s
. Chance of precipitation 50 percent

I think it's good time to email some pics of the butterflies in my backyard to all my relatives up there :D .

Wife and I installed a cheap ($99) "gazebo" (more like a fancy canopy) from Target over our patio last week and strung the inside with Christmas lights. I dare say it's one of the best $99 home improvement projects we ever made - a beautiful comfortable place to sit outside and a great place to put our one year old now that he's into "feeding" himself.

• 1 month later...
Just replying to be silly. See the topic title...Well...It's not so nice out! :angry:

Melting, melting...melting "What a world, what a world"......

Get a pool. It will have a dramatic effect on your opinion of hot weather. I was out at lunch today and kept thinking how great the weather was.

Well, we're possibly going to have some rain this weekend. We probably need it. However, we are very lucky, indeed. By comparison, here's the late April forecast for Cleveland:

Monday Night
: mostly cloudy with a chance of rain showers. A chance of
snow showers
after midnight. Much cooler with lows in the mid 30s. Chance of precipitation 50 percent.

Tuesday
: mostly cloudy. A chance of rain or
snow showers
in the morning. Cooler with
highs in the lower 40s
. Chance of precipitation 50 percent

I think it's good time to email some pics of the butterflies in my backyard to all my relatives up there :D .

I'd take a 40 degree night. I would rather sleep with a blanket than under a/c any day.

Get a pool. It will have a dramatic effect on your opinion of hot weather. I was out at lunch today and kept thinking how great the weather was.

or, find a neighbor with a pool. :D You're lucky I don't live in your hood, Meme.

There is a perfectly wonderful, upkept pool not a half block from me, and the house is apparently unoccupied. It just sucks to walk past, all hot and sweaty, and look at that pool.

So far 2 of our new gardenias have dried up and died. From this point on no more buying plants. Our heat is just tooooo much. :( I am not running up my water bill just for garden beauty, screw it.

Time for a rain dance! Break out the tambourines!

So far 2 of our new gardenias have dried up and died. From this point on no more buying plants. Our heat is just tooooo much. :( I am not running up my water bill just for garden beauty, screw it.

Time for a rain dance! Break out the tambourines!

So have a lot of the plants & flowers at Lowes. That red & white tent place has 1/2 off sale, already. Remember last year, wouldn't stop raining. I need an inground sprinkler. I'm tired of watering. :angry:

So have a lot of the plants & flowers at Lowes. That red & white tent place has 1/2 off sale, already. Remember last year, wouldn't stop raining. I need an inground sprinkler. I'm tired of watering. :angry:

The other day I was in Walmart. I entered through the garden area and there were row after row of dead or dying plants, many of them. What really irked me was to see the clerk just slouched on her chair facing them and not doing a thing to help them. Not one water hose in sight. The plants were actually dried and beyond, well. Imagine the cost of this mess. :(

You know its bad when the yard starts to show cracks from the heat.

The other day I was in Walmart. I entered through the garden area and there were row after row of dead or dying plants, many of them. What really irked me was to see the clerk just slouched on her chair facing them and not doing a thing to help them. Not one water hose in sight. The plants were actually dried and beyond, well. Imagine the cost of this mess. :(

You know its bad when the yard starts to show cracks from the heat.

And with that post, Vertigo58 is the first winner of the HAIF Summer Post Card Contest!

Your prize:

gallery_1_86_63579.jpg

A post card of the Sundown Motel on "U.S. Hiway 67 West" in Mount Pleasant. As it says on the back:

Don't Drive at Night

Stop at SUndown

SUNDOWN MOTEL

Mt. Pleasant, Texas

"Hub of Northeast Texas"

Foam rubber mattresses - Philco air condi-

tioning and Safe circulating heat in each unit

Congrats. Just PM me your mailing address and I'll get your prize out to you.

Archived