When Did The Cinema In Post Oak Mall Close?

IronTiger

Someone at the Post Oak Mall article claims the cinema closed in 2000 because of some vague SEC filings that claim it was either operated by Carmike or Loew's (two different articles that claim contradictory things!). However, I believe it was General Cinema and closed long before the 21st century rolled around. What say you?

Someone at the Post Oak Mall article claims the cinema closed in 2000 because of some vague SEC filings that claim it was either operated by Carmike or Loew's (two different articles that claim contradictory things!). However, I believe it was General Cinema and closed long before the 21st century rolled around. What say you?

I remember the last movie I saw there was the Beavus and Butt Head Moive.

I believe it was in 2000, the last movie I saw at that theater was "Blade" with Wesley Snipes, which came out in August of 1998... But I remember when my sister began working at JCPenney in January of 2000, it was still open as a theater, but then when i began working at Sears in 2002, it was no longer open, it was a dance club at that time.

I also remember it saying "Oxygen" for the longest time...what was up with that?

It was a club, I believe that was before Shadow Canyon... though I may be wrong on the timing of when SC was there.

Maybe we can get a decent chronology of theaters in town, please make corrections as needed:

Name, years in operation, location if demolished or remodeled to house another business

Queen Theatre: ?-?, vacant/under renovation

Palace Theatre: ?-?, 1998ish-present as an open air venue

Aggieland Cinema: ?-?; vacant until Shadow Canyon then Midnight Rodeo, on side was The Cue and Club Ozone before Hole-In-The Wall Saloon, now O'Bannion's and Paddock Lane

Sky Drive-In(?): behind Shulman 6

New Sky Drive-In(?): ?-?, Tejas Center

Manor East III: ?-199?, large theater still in use by Stage Center, back of Tejas Center

Shulmann 6: ?-199?, remodeled and changed to College Park Six, now Blinn College classrooms.

Where Harry's is Now Three: ?-199?, where Harry's is now

Where Church behind Wendy's on SW Pkwy is now Three: ?-199?, became a few clubs/pool halls, then bought and remodeled by church

Post Oak 3?-2000(?), now a club

Cinemark: 1996(?)-present, opened as a 12 screen theater?, now a 16 screen?

Premeire Cinema: 2006(?)-present, opened as a 14 screen?

Maybe we can get a decent chronology of theaters in town, please make corrections as needed:

Name, years in operation, location if demolished or remodeled to house another business

Queen Theatre: ?-?, vacant/under renovation

Palace Theatre: ?-?, 1998ish-present as an open air venue

Aggieland Cinema: ?-?; vacant until Shadow Canyon then Midnight Rodeo, on side was The Cue and Club Ozone before Hole-In-The Wall Saloon, now O'Bannion's and Paddock Lane

Sky Drive-In(?): behind Shulman 6

New Sky Drive-In(?): ?-?, Tejas Center

Manor East III: ?-199?, large theater still in use by Stage Center, back of Tejas Center

Shulmann 6: ?-199?, remodeled and changed to College Park Six, now Blinn College classrooms.

Where Church behind Wendy's on SW Pkwy is now Three: ?-199?, became a few clubs/pool halls, then bought and remodeled by church

The Queen opened I believe in '46 and closed when Bill (Schulman) opened the Palace in '64. The Palace was closed in '84 I think and the roof fell in in '86 after some heavy rains that year. it was partially torn down and renovated in '87 to what it is today. At one time. if you went to a movie in BCS, you put money in Bill Schulman's pocket, because he owned all the movie houses and drive in's.

There was a developer (his name escapes me at the moment) that moved out here from California in the early 80's and started a big Downtown Bryan movement toward renovation. First thing he did was Club 202 (or 201, whatever it was, we all know where I'm talking about) and turned it into a Bistro. He had several projects working, when he was tragically killed when he fell from the roof of the Queen in the early 90's, when he was taking measurements for possible renovation. The guy had vision and if he would have lived, a lot would have gotten done. After his death , the movement to revitalize downtown came to a halt for some time. Was a real loss, kills me I can't call his name, talked to him several times. I can see his face and can't call his name for the life of me.

The original "Skyway" Drive-In on Texas Ave, (Manor East) was opened by Bill in '52 and closed when he opened the "Skyway Twin" on 29th in '67, and was torn down to build Manor East. The Skyway Twin was shut down in the mid 80's, and Bill built the indoor Schulman 6. They stayed open until Blinn swallowed them up.

Thanks much, based on that we now have:

Queen Theatre: 1946-1964, vacant/under renovation

Palace Theatre: 1964-1984, 1987-present as an open air venue

Circle Drive-In:?-?, NW corner of University and College Ave.

Skyway Drive-In: 1952-1967, Tejas Center

Skyway Twin Drive-In: 1967-mid 80's, bwas located behind the future Shulman 6

Shulman 6: ?-199?, remodeled and changed to College Park Six, now Blinn College classrooms.

Thanks much, based on that we now have:

Palace Theatre: 1964-1984, 1987-present as an open air venue

Skyway Drive-In: 1952-1967, Tejas Center

Skyway Twin Drive-In: 1967-mid 80's, bwas located behind the future Shulman 6

Shulman 6: ?-199?, remodeled and changed to College Park Six, now Blinn College classrooms.

Cinemark might have had 1995 because my siblings claim they saw "Pocahontas" (1995) and I know I saw "Dinosaur" (2000) at Schulman 6.

• 2 weeks later...
Cinemark might have had 1995 because my siblings claim they saw "Pocahontas" (1995) and I know I saw "Dinosaur" (2000) at Schulman 6.

Cinemark 16 (aka Hollywood USA at the time) opened in 1993 and now has 18 screens, I think, so they'd still be larger than Premier. I remember it clearly b/c I saw Jurassic Park for the first time at Schulman 6 in Bryan then saw it again with a friend at the new theatre. The sound at Cinemark was so much better it was like seeing a different movie. Amazing difference for the time considering all we had was the Schulman's and the two or three 3 screen theatres scattered in town.

Wasn't "Aggieland Theatre" called Campus Theatre? Pretty sure if you pulled the wood trim off of Shadow Canyon you'd see a big sign that says: CAMPUS.

Schulman 6 did close for a short time in the '90's. It had already begun to suffer when Cinemark opened in '93 but then they had a late night burglarly where a manager was shot and killed. They closed for probably 3-4 years then re-opened in Fall '97 following an extensive remodel. They re-opened first as a $1 theater then soon added new films. I think they hoped the opening of the Blinn Campus next door would provide a new market. The small retail center, next door, that is also now owned by Blinn was built that year. It housed a Double Dave's Pizza, a coffee shop, a bookstore, a haircut place, etc. If memory serves the Schulman's worked out a deal with Blinn in probably '02 or so to buy their building with an ongoing lease. A few months later their A/C failed and they closed leaving the building for Blinn's use. I actually worked at Cinemark my senior year of high school then Schulman the fall of my sophomore year of college. Two very fun jobs in hindsight. Schulman 6 was really cool b/c you could tell it was built by a family with such a theater history. Upstairs there was these old private viewing areas above each theater. From what I was told, they could be reserved by parties and individuals and alcohol, etc was served up there. Later they were walled off and used for storage. The Schulman's offices were up there too and at one point the entire lobby ceiling was two stories with a balcony looking down....blast from the past.

The Church behind Wendy's was also a Schulman theater...I think it was called Parkway Theater. It was really cool architecturally for the time but unfortunately it opened when B/CS was in an economic doldrum and the location wasn't nearly as hot then as it is now. The last movie I can recall seeing there was as a kid, Griswold Family Christmas or whatever it was called with Chevy Chase. I remember going with a buddy....one of the first times I went to a movie without my parents. Would've than been '89 or so. It closed not long after that. Not sure when it was actually built by the Schulman's though. Most likely only a couple years before that b/c I don't remember seeing but one or two flicks there. It remained vacant for years until the string of bars took it over.

Manor East III most likely opened in the late '70's. The lobby and restrooms had this funky foil wallpaper that could've only come from that era. I'm talking yellow and silver! It most likely closed in the early-mid '90's when Cinemark came to town and put everyone else out of business.

Where Harry's is was a Cineplex Odeon....can't believe I remember that. It closed most likely in '93 when Cinemark opened. They literally forced everyone eslse out but Post Oak within less than a year.

I don't remember Harry's taking over the theater next door until 1995 or 1996. I know for sure I saw a movie there in 1993 and I know for sure I went to Harry's after the renovation in the fall of 2006. That brings the date range in a bit. I do believe the theater was closed for a time before Harry's took it over though.

I don't remember Harry's taking over the theater next door until 1995 or 1996. I know for sure I saw a movie there in 1993 and I know for sure I went to Harry's after the renovation in the fall of 2006. That brings the date range in a bit. I do believe the theater was closed for a time before Harry's took it over though.

I thought it became TJ's Lazer Tag...

Great memory Bryan Guy! Is was inded Campus Theater, and the sign is still there under the wood paneling. I'm pretty sure I still lived on Northside while they did that remodel.

Wasn't Shulman 6 a dollar cinema after Cinemark opened but before the renovations? Then after remodel they were first run again? I know Bryan and C.S. were in different zones, so College Park 6 could have the same movies as the C.S. theaters. I sat in the front row there for Jurassic Park, ouch...

Could Parkway Theater have been named something like Park Place III?

Updated list:

Dixie Theatre: ?-?, near the Queen on Main St.

Palace Theater: 1928-1985, 1987-present as an open air venue

Campus Theater: ?-?; vacant until Shadow Canyon then Midnight Rodeo, on side was The Cue and Club Ozone before Hole-In-The Wall Saloon, now O'Bannion's and Paddock Lane

Skyway Drive-In: 1952-1967, site of current Tejas Center

Skyway Twin Drive-In: 1967-mid 1985, was located behind the future Shulman 6

Manor East III: 197?-1994, large theater still in use by Stage Center, back of Tejas Center

Shulman 6: 197?-mid 90's, 1997-2002(as College Park 6), now Blinn College classrooms.

Cineplex III: 1980(?)-1996, where Harry's is now; was a Lazer Tag after theater closed

Parkway Theater, Park Place III(?): 1984(?)-1995, became a few clubs/pool halls, then bought and remodeled by church

Post Oak 3: 1984-2000, now a club

Hollywood USA/Cinemark: 1993-present, opened as a 16 screen theater, converted to stadium seating and added two theaters 2003-2004

Premeire Cinema: 2006-present, opened as a 16 screen

Bryan, College Station

Some update info from Schulman Theaters' company history page.

• 11 months later...
Great memory Bryan Guy! Is was inded Campus Theater, and the sign is still there under the wood paneling. I'm pretty sure I still lived on Northside while they did that remodel.

Wasn't Shulman 6 a dollar cinema after Cinemark opened but before the renovations? Then after remodel they were first run again? I know Bryan and C.S. were in different zones, so College Park 6 could have the same movies as the C.S. theaters. I sat in the front row there for Jurassic Park, ouch...

Could Parkway Theater have been named something like Park Place III?

Updated list:

Dixie Theatre: ?-?, near the Queen on Main St.

Campus Theater: ?-?; vacant until Shadow Canyon then Midnight Rodeo, on side was The Cue and Club Ozone before Hole-In-The Wall Saloon, now O'Bannion's and Paddock Lane

Manor East III: 197?-1994, large theater still in use by Stage Center, back of Tejas Center

Shulman 6: 197?-mid 90's, 1997-2002(as College Park 6), now Blinn College classrooms.

Cineplex III: 1980(?)-1996, where Harry's is now; was a Lazer Tag after theater closed

Parkway Theater, Park Place III(?): 1984(?)-1995, became a few clubs/pool halls, then bought and remodeled by church

Post Oak 3: 1984-2000, now a club

Hollywood USA/Cinemark: 1993-present, opened as a 16 screen theater, converted to stadium seating and added two theaters 2003-2004

Bryan, College Station

Some update info from Schulman Theaters' company history page.

I was a student at A&M from 92-96 and saw alot of movies during my time there. After I met my dh in 1994, I even kept all my movie stubs in a scrapbook and I still have it today. Most of what you have above is correct( stuff that I would know about) except the Park Place III dates. If that is the one on SW Pkwy behind Wendy's, it had to close before Fall of 1992 as I don't remember it open while I was there. I also know FOR certain it was a club by fall 1994. I went dancing in a night club that was in that building in Sept. 1994 (remember date b/c of bad breakup that happened right before and friends drug me there to cheer me up) and remember thinking you could tell it was an old theater. It was dance/ club music -not country.

Other memories that may help your dates:

- The theater by Harry's was definitely open in 1993 as I remember seeing "My Life" w/ Michael Keaton and Nicole Kidman there in 1993 (possibly fall semester). I don't remember seeing any other movies there and think it closed shortly after this.

- Shulman 6 - I believe I'm thinking of the correct theater- it was an older style one w/ 6 screens and you could see an old drive in screen right by this theater. My now dh and I saw several movies here in 1995. I have my ticket stub from seeing "Mad Love" there from June 1995.

-Cinemark either opened in second half of 1993 or in 1994. I remember the difficulty of seeing a movie my freshman year in BCS. It seemed like the movie theaters were always sold out so we rented a lot of movies my Fish Year . One time we drove to every movie place that we knew of to try to see "The Bodyguard" when it came out, but every one was sold out. I remember trying the Shulman, one at Manor East, the mall, and the one at the current Harry's location. I belive that was it in Fall of 1992. I remember thinking they seriously needed a modern big theater and soon Cinemark appeared.

- Post Oak Theaters - I still have ticket stubs from seeing Braveheart, Waterworld, Seven, Father of Bride 2, and Beautiful Girls in 1995 and 1996 w/ now dh. All my stubs say "Carmike cinemas" on them so this must be who was managing it at the time.

- Sidenote: I also remember going to see Wayne's World on campus my freshman year. I don't believe it was first run b/c I remember seeing this in high school at home at the end of my senior year (spring 1992). Anyone remember where this would be? It wasn't in the big auditorium, but I believe it was elsewhere in the MSC/ Rudder area. All I remember is everyone singing along to the Bohemian Rhapsody and quoting lines from the movie -lol.

Hope this helps some. I enjoyed this thread!

Thanks for the post!

Updated list:

Dixie Theatre: ?-?, near the Queen on Main St. Years later, in the late 80's, became "Stafford Opera House", then for a few years it reverted back to the "Dixie Theatre" name, later known as "The Venue" and now is "Stafford-Main Street".

Campus Theater: ?-mid 80's(?); vacant until Shadow Canyon then Midnight Rodeo, now Daisy Dukes, on side was The Cue and Club Ozone before Hole-In-The Wall Saloon, now O'Bannion's and Paddock Lane

Shulman 6: 197?-1995, 1997-2002(as College Park 6), now Blinn College classrooms.

Parkway Theater, Park Place III(?): 1984(?)-1992, became a few clubs/pool halls, then bought and remodeled by church

Carmike Post Oak 3: 1984-2000, now a club

Bryan, College Station

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

More corrections:

Queen Theatre: older than 1926-197?, torn down and rebuilt in 1939; now vacant/under renovation

Dixie Theatre: older than 1926-?, near the Queen on Main St. Partially burned by fire built by vagrant in 1983. In the early 90's, became "Stafford Opera House", then for a few years it reverted back to the "Dixie Theatre" name from 1995-1998, later known as "The Venue" and since July 2008 is known as "Stafford-Main Street".

Palace Theater: 1928-1985, 1987-present as an open air venue. Originally Bryan City Hall.

Campus Theater: ?-mid 80's(?); vacant until converted to club Shadow Canyon, then Midnight Rodeo, now Daisy Dukes. On the side were The Cue and Club Ozone before Hole-In-The Wall Saloon, now O'Bannion's and Paddock Lane

Skyway Twin Drive-In: 1967-mid 1985, was located behind the future Schulman 6

Schulman 6: 197?-1995, 1997-2002(as College Park 6), now Blinn College classrooms.

Parkway Theater, Park Place III(?): 1984(?)-1992, became a few clubs/pool halls, then bought and remodeled by church

Carmike Post Oak 3: 1984-2000, now a club

Bryan, College Station

• 7 years later...

Thought I'd revive this thread since another theater is opening in the not-too-distant future.

Bryan

Queen Theatre: Early 1900's - mid-70's. Originally opened as the Exchange Hotel, late 1800s, became a theater, the Crystal, in the early 1900s, burning in 1914. Purchased by Shulman in 1926. Torn down and rebuilt in art deco style in 1939. Facade restored in 2011, interior renovated and reopened approx. 2016-17 as offices/meeting spaces.

Dixie Theatre: older than 1913 - 197?, purchased by Shulman in 1926. Partially burned by fire built by vagrant in 1983. In the early 90's, became Stafford Opera House, then for about 1995-1998 it reverted back to the Dixie Theatre name from, later known as The Venue in mid-2000's. July 2008-201? known as Stafford-Main Street. Sold and after renovations operates as the Grand Stafford Theater.

Palace Theater: 1928 - 1985, 1987 - present as an open air venue. Originally Bryan City Hall.

Circle Drive-In:at least by 1952 - ?, NW corner of University and College Ave.

Skyway Drive-In: opened prior to 1948 - 1967, site of current Tejas Center

Manor East III: November 7, 1973 - 1994, large theater still in use by The Theater Company in the Tejas Center.

Skyway Twin Drive-In: 1967 - mid 1985, was located behind the future Schulman 6

Schulman 6: 197? - 1995, 1997 - 2002(as College Park 6), now Blinn College classrooms.

Bryan Premiere 15 + IMAX: 2006-present, Opened as a 16 screen theater, one was converted to IMAX around 2013. 

College Station

Campus Theater: 1940 - mid 80's; vacant until converted to club Shadow Canyon, then Midnight Rodeo, now Daisy Dukes. 

Cineplex III: 1980(?) - 1996, where Harry's/Piranha Fitness Studio is now; was a Lazer Tag briefly after theater closed.

Parkway Theater, Park Place III(?): 1984(?) - 1992, became a few clubs/pool halls, then bought and remodeled by church

Carmike Post Oak 3: 1984-2000, later mall location of Rockie's.

Cinemark Movies 18 & XD: 1993-present, opened as a 16 screen theater "Hollywood USA", converted to stadium seating and added two theaters 2003-2004, converted to all recliner seating 2016-17.

Star Cinema Grill: Opens 2018. Coming to Century Square development.

Updated information from the 2013 B/CS Eagle article Early Bryan theater owner Bill Schulman dies at 86 as well as information gleaned from Cinema Treasures and Frank Mills' profiles of selected Silver Screens in Texas

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I worked at the movie theater in Post Oak Mall from 1986 - 1990 off and on, so I thought I might clarify the historical record here.  It started as a Plitt theater when the mall was built in 1982 (http://www.thefullwiki.org/Post_Oak_Mall).  In 1987 or so it changed to Cineplex Odeon, and it remained Cineplex Odeon until the end of the summer of 1990 at least.  (Wikipedia has the Plitt/Cineplex Odeon ordering backwards).  I have no memory of this theater being a Carmike theater, but it could have happened later. 

It was a fantastic place to work, with a lot of great, fun people.  For big movies, the place would be packed to the gills.  I'd be glad to share my many fond memories of this theater, if anyone is interested. 

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the update. Slowly but surely...

Current:

Bryan

Bryan Premiere 15 + IMAX: 2006-present, Opened as a 16 screen theater, one was converted to IMAX around 2013. 

Queen Theatre: Early 1900's - mid-70's; 2018-present. Originally opened as the Exchange Hotel, late 1800s, later housing theaters under various names including the Princess and the Crystal, and survived at least one film room fire in 1914. According to current website, the name "Queen Theatre" was officially given to the building in 1914. Purchased by Schulman in 1926. Torn down and rebuilt in art deco style in 1939. Facade restored in 2011, interior renovated and reopened 2016-17 as offices/meeting spaces (including the Downtown Bryan Association). The Queen Theatre officially reopened May 4, 2018 as a single screen film house and performance venue. 

College Station

Cinemark Movies 18 & XD: 1993-present, opened as a 16 screen theater "Hollywood USA", converted to stadium seating and added two theaters 2003-2004, converted to all recliner seating 2016-17.

Star Cinema Grill: 2018-present. Century Square.

Alternate use:

Bryan

Dixie Theatre: older than 1913 - 197?, purchased by Schulman in 1926. Partially burned by fire built by vagrant in 1983. In the early 90's, became Stafford Opera House, then for about 1995-1998 it reverted back to the Dixie Theatre name, later known as The Venue in mid-2000's. July 2008-201? known as Stafford-Main Street. Sold and after renovations operates as the Grand Stafford Theater, a live music venue.

Palace Theater: 1928 - 1985, 1987 - present as an open air venue. Originally Bryan City Hall.

Manor East III: November 7, 1973 - 1994, large theater still in use by The Theatre Company, in the Tejas Center.

Schulman 6: 197? - 1995, 1997 - 2002(as College Park 6), now Blinn College classrooms.

College Station

Campus Theater: 1940 - mid 80's; vacant until converted to club Shadow Canyon, then Midnight Rodeo, Daisy Dukes, now Shiner Park. 

Cineplex III: 1980(?) - 1996, where Harry's/Piranha Fitness Studio is now; was a Lazer Tag briefly after theater closed.

Parkway Theater, Park Place III(?): 1984(?) - 1992, became a few clubs/pool halls, then bought and remodeled by a church.

Post Oak 3 (Plitt, then Cineplex Odeon): 1984-2000, later mall location of Rockie's.

Demolished/Redeveloped:

Bryan

Skyway Drive-In: opened prior to 1948 - 1967, site of current Tejas Center

Skyway Twin Drive-In: 1967 - mid 1985, was located in area behind the future Schulman 6 (current Blinn College/St.Joseph Rehab parking areas).

College Station

Circle Drive-In: at least by 1952 - ?, NW corner of University and College Ave.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to When Did The Cinema In Post Oak Mall Close?

Archived