• 2 weeks later...

It's moments like these when I realize how much room for growth I have as a person. I clicked on the link to see confirmation of the downgrade in height as opposed to showing concern for the individual. Very unfortunate for that person and his family.

Edited by xsatyr
  • Like 2

It's moments like these when I realize how much room for growth I have as a person. I clicked on the link to see confirmation of the downgrade in height as opposed to showing concern for the individual. Very unfortunate for that person and his family.

I don't think there's anything "wrong" at all with checking on the height downgrade...or not "showing concern" for an individual you didn't know. The building is something you're familiar with and have likely been following up on lately. Lots of people die every day from horrible events/circumstances, and they are all "unfortunate" situations for them and their families. I can only speak for myself, but it's not that I personally "don't feel for these people"...I just don't know them or anything about them. Things just tend to hit home a little more when you're familiar with them.

Nothing at all to be "ashamed" of...and really, you just expressed your natural human concern for another human being in very good taste IMO.

• Like 1

That's awful.

Safety lesson: the construction industry had 775 fatalities in 2012. 280 of those were fall related. Always 100 percent tie off when working at unprotected elevations of greater than 6 feet. 45 percent of falls under 20 feet are fatal. And even at 6 to 10 ft the rate is 11 percent fatal. Falls account for the 3rd highest workplace fatality rate --- behind homicide and roadway accidents.

I shared this article with my companies safety team. We had an hour long safety stand down at our construction sites to discuss the importance of 100 percent tie off.

• Like 3

That's awful.

Safety lesson: the construction industry had 775 fatalities in 2012. 280 of those were fall related. Always 100 percent tie off when working at unprotected elevations of greater than 6 feet. 45 percent of falls under 20 feet are fatal. And even at 6 to 10 ft the rate is 11 percent fatal. Falls account for the 3rd highest workplace fatality rate --- behind homicide and roadway accidents.

I shared this article with my companies safety team. We had an hour long safety stand down at our construction sites to discuss the importance of 100 percent tie off.

That's very interesting...thank you. It's good to know about the 100% tie off. We can only do so much, as it's virtually impossible to achieve 100% safety. Like you mentioned, we're all taking chances to some degree just getting to work and back, if not at the job itself.

I also find the higher workplace homicide fatality rate interesting. Do you know if that's a higher rate than roadway accidents?

Edited by por favor gracias

According to an article in USA Today, the National Highway Administration reported 34,080 traffic fatalities in the US for 2012.

As indicated on Wikipedia (and other sources), total US casualties from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are close to 6700.  

People go into harm's way for a lot of reasons.  I'm all for emphasizing workplace safety, but a lot more fatalities occur because of poor choices, like drinking and driving.

That's very interesting...thank you. It's good to know about the 100% tie off. We can only do so much, as it's virtually impossible to achieve 100% safety. Like you mentioned, we're all taking chances to some degree just getting to work and back, if not at the job itself.

I also find the higher workplace homicide fatality rate interesting. Do you know if that's a higher rate than roadway accidents?

It is higher. Ill get you the OSHA documents when I get back to my office next week.- if you're interested