Well that's good news...

but I have trouble envisioning a 35 story building on that piece of land with the number of lanes Weslayan and Alabama have currently... we'll see. I'll be eager to see the renderings of the two possibilities they are proposing.

this would be the tallest building between downtown and the galleria if built... I like the idea of it being mixed use, and ironic/poetic there being an upscale restaurant since that land was a restaurant before.

Hopefully this wont be another project to get scaled back... 35 story in the proposal, 9 stories by the time it actually gets built... hopefully not.

that title goes to America Tower at 2929 Allen Parkway by a solid 8 (office) floors.

• Like 1

At the end of the day, this could be a pretty good location. You're half a block from both the Central Market and the Rice Epicurian (God only knows how that place is still around). 35 stories with 250 units is less than 1200 Post Oak, which has 33 stories and 350 units (or more... I can't remember anymore, but it's 300-400). Wesleyan is 2 lanes each way, which should be more than sufficient to handle the traffic. This is an urban location, and while it's busy during rush hour, it's not a total fail. If you're going north on Wesleyan you may sit through 2 lights to cross Westheimer, but that shouldn't preclude additional development.

The location also has excellent access to Greenway, Highland Village, and whatever you want to call that development with the Buffalo Wild Wings / Panda Express / LA Fitness etc... With the other buildings across the street (8-12 stories) and the ATT abortion down Wesleyan (cement box with a top hat) I think this will be a welcome addition.

Traffic impact is a debatable issue when it comes to something like this. While residents come and go at all different times, the bottom line is there will be an increase in traffic from not just residents, but their guests, and building employees. Will it be marginal, yes. Will it have a huge effect, not really. Will rush hour still suck, absolutely.

I think these two improvements could make traffic here a non-issue:

-Re-top Weslayan, less braking for bumps helps. Widen slightly if possible... which would help the second issue I see:

-Being a superb location two blocks from 59, I'd be most concerned about the Southbound Traffic. Any traffic exiting would make a right, go northbound, and have to u-turn. If you've ever driven on this street or one like it with a skinny median, you know that an over sized vehicle or more than one person making the same turn during oncoming traffic can put one lane at a halt. Somehow reworking this street for better ability to u-turn would help.

BTW, this post is based on my assumption the entrance and exits to the parking will be on the Weslayan side and not the W. Alabama side, so pending that we will see.

For your analysis: The Google Map of this area.

Edited by Geoff8201

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I like it too, with it being just down the street from me, I had my hopes there would be a decent design and not overdone.

2727 (will it ever get an official name??) is 30 stories, the first 6 being parking, and level 7 being the amenities. This beats it by 5 stories but we'll see how it does on height in feet cause 2727 had some high ceilings.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the Pheonix Tower & Greenway Plaza.

my first thought as well.

edit: i really hope this happens... the design is one of the first truly "interesteing" designs this city has seen in awhile. too often does this city get stuck w very safe and relatively benal architecture.

Edited by swtsig

haha. They just had to include a box-shaped building. Really nice design... this is one so far that would definitely be awesome to see built. Even at 35 stories, it's definitely going to stand out since there's no other tall building in the area, just how Anadarko in the Woodlands appears impressive since it only has low rises in the area next to it.

haha. They just had to include a box-shaped building. Really nice design... this is one so far that would definitely be awesome to see built. Even at 35 stories, it's definitely going to stand out since there's no other tall building in the area, just how Anadarko in the Woodlands appears impressive since it only has low rises in the area next to it.

I don't think it will stick out that much, more like 2727 Kirby. I like the ”skirt” as well, seems like a decent design, decent infill too!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...