MD Anderson Main Building At 1515 Holcombe Blvd.

tmariar

I plan on being in the Feigen Center that day to watch the implosion. I'll be up on level 15 or so in one of the collaboration spaces. I'll even bring donuts.

I also heard that the Hurd mural got damaged as they were packing it for transport. Apparently the packing material used to keep the mural from being scratched ingnited by friction and smoldered for some time before it was noticed. The restorers will have to deal with smoke damage once it arrives at the final destination.

And I noticed today that if you look real hard at the top of the building you can barely make out the image of the Rock of Gibralta.

Hey do you work at TCH? Maybe we can have a TCH viewing party! There's a good space on the 15th floor with a view but the window is treated with little white dots or something so it's not totally clear or ideal for photography. :( I wish there was a clear window...

Anyways, here's what it looks like today:

img0992i.jpg

I looked at the safety notice again and it seems like it actually says the nobody is allowed outside in the safety perimeter zone on demolition day but, but it seems like maybe we can get away with being inside the building if we enter before the perimeter is closed.

Oooo... Maybe a haif camping trip?

• Like 2

Thanks, I didn't know what that glass coating was called. Yeah it would probably be a great view. I eat up there on 15th all the time but it would definitely not make for good photos. PM me if you find a good spot with clear windows. My lab actually has a view of the Prudential building with clear glass but we're on a lower floor so I don't think it would work so well for photography either.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know if I can even watch the live stream - after going over the maps and thinking about it (too much?) I decided I'm going to go with what I've got - pictures of it as it was. Not only does the crew really want people away, I also don't need that sinking feeling I always get - there's just no (more) thrill in seeing a building getting massacred..

I've decided to stay home and watch the live stream or video later.

I wonder if people will display this much regret if and when the other "former Prudential building" is torn down? You know, the one on the West Loop (now AT&T).

^The long "squares" just south of Bissonnet?

Yes, that long ugly thing. Not quite sure of the year it was built.........1977 or so, I'm guessing. I'm sure it was a dissapointment when Prudential employees had to move there. The newness probably wore off quick.

Much bigger crowd than I was expecting for early on a Sunday morning. Although it wasn't that early by the time it finally came down. Here's a video of the demolition.

Also some pictures

Around 9:30 can't see a damn thing

PrudentialDemo036.jpg

Fog has cleared up, can see the full building now (I have a lot more and in higher resolutions if anyone is interested).

PrudentialDemo064.jpg

The aftermath as people flee the dust cloud.

PrudentialDemo085.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to MD Anderson To Demolish Prudential Life Building At 1100 Holcombe Blvd.
  • The title was changed to MD Anderson Main Building At 1515 Holcombe Blvd.