wxman

As somebody who drives it...I couldn't disagree more. I think you need to re-evaluate what VERY far is. VERY far would be Connecticut. I swear, if somebody has to drive more than 20 minutes, it ain't worth it. There are people who drive in a hell of a lot further out. Conroe, College Station, Galveston, Beaumont, and Rosenburg...those are a lot further out than The Woodlands. People in NY and LA travel over two hours to get to work.

Ain't that the truth? I read it's probably worse in San Fran. Jaw Dropping.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As somebody who drives it...I couldn't disagree more. I think you need to re-evaluate what VERY far is. VERY far would be Connecticut. I swear, if somebody has to drive more than 20 minutes, it ain't worth it. There are people who drive in a hell of a lot further out. Conroe, College Station, Galveston, Beaumont, and Rosenburg...those are a lot further out than The Woodlands. People in NY and LA travel over two hours to get to work.

What?

Rosenburg actually isn't as far, because 59 doesn't have as much traffic. No matter how you try to slice it, The Woodlands is pretty far out. Some suburbs like Katy don't feel as far out, because the city feels closer (Energy Corridor, etc.). 45 is just furniture stores and XXX shops.

Man, y'all woke up grumpy! So, what about the 20+ tower that this topic is supposed to be about??

lol...I just think it's funny how some people think. I mean Montgomery and Fort Bend Counties aren't growing like wildfire for no reason. It's probably because of the economic engine that sits just south of here or just to the NE of Fort Bend County.

What?

Rosenburg actually isn't as far, because 59 doesn't have as much traffic. No matter how you try to slice it, The Woodlands is pretty far out. Some suburbs like Katy don't feel as far out, because the city feels closer (Energy Corridor, etc.). 45 is just furniture stores and XXX shops.

Well it isn't about the feeling. It's about milage and time. 29 miles from I-10 and 45 to my driveway. Not bad. By the way, Katy is just as far out, if not further, than we are. Nobody talks about that though.

I would immediately kill myself if I had to spend an hour a day trapped in a car again. Must be nice to have the luxury to spend an hour of productive time a day thinking about maneuvering a car along the freeway. Best of luck to you when the oil stops flowing.

I would immediately kill myself if I had to spend an hour a day trapped in a car again. Must be nice to have the luxury to spend an hour of productive time a day thinking about maneuvering a car along the freeway. Best of luck to you when the oil stops flowing.

I suppose gone are the days of "I've gotta have my own personal space on wheels with my own stereo and golf clubs and skis (even though I'm not going to the course and there are no mountains here)!"

As long as president war lord is in office, I don't have to worry about oil. And like I have said before, only once or twice has it ever taken me over an hour to get to work. They pay me well and if somebody paid you well enough to drive to the other side of town, you'd do it too.

lol...I just think it's funny how some people think. I mean Montgomery and Fort Bend Counties aren't growing like wildfire for no reason. It's probably because of the economic engine that sits just south of here or just to the NE of Fort Bend County.

Well it isn't about the feeling. It's about milage and time. 29 miles from I-10 and 45 to my driveway. Not bad. By the way, Katy is just as far out, if not further, than we are. Nobody talks about that though.

No its not. Especially from employment centers like Westchase of the Energy Corridor.

I thought we were referencing downtown? If you want to play that game, we're close to Greenspoint and IAH. Plus, The Woodlands has a pretty big business center itself.

Question, I took some really nice shots of The Woodlands and other places around Houston (134 to be exact for a project and thought I'd share). Does anybody know how to upload them on here? Do I need that photobucket program?

Rosenberg is 33 miles from downtown Houston via US 59.

Tomball is 27 miles from downtown Houston via SH 249 and I-45.

The Woodlands is 27 miles from downtown Houston via I-45 (or 28 miles via I-45 and the Hardy Toll Road).

Katy (proper) is 28 miles from downtown Houston via I-45.

I've not had to travel into Houston from anywhere other than Katy during rush hour traffic in my 9 years in Houston, and that was mostly before construction on the Katy Freeway began. I know of people back in South Florida who traveled into Miami from Palm Beach County (at least 40 miles) every day or people who lived in southern Miami-Dade County who traveled 35 or 40 miles to Fort Lauderdale everyday.

Long commutes aren't that uncommon in any large metro, and from most Houston 'burbs outside of 20 miles from DT Houston, the commute times vary by less than 10 minutes more or less.

I thought we were referencing downtown? If you want to play that game, we're close to Greenspoint and IAH. Plus, The Woodlands has a pretty big business center itself.

Just for reference, downtown is closer to IAH than the Woodlands Mall is. The homes in the Woodlands are even further away.

Ditto for Grrenspoint Mall.

And, for what it's worth, the 27 mile distance from the Woodlands to downtown is from Sawdust Road, where no residents live. Virtually EVERY resident lives more than 30 miles away, the majority more than 40 miles. Some live nearly 50 miles from downtown.

Just for reference, downtown is closer to IAH than the Woodlands Mall is. The homes in the Woodlands are even further away.

Ditto for Grrenspoint Mall.

And, for what it's worth, the 27 mile distance from the Woodlands to downtown is from Sawdust Road, where no residents live. Virtually EVERY resident lives more than 30 miles away, the majority more than 40 miles. Some live nearly 50 miles from downtown.

IAH is about 17 miles from my house. Downtown is 29 miles. By the way, the folks in the very back of The Woodlands (Sterling Ridge and Creekside) may be far now, but the Montgomery County toll way will soon link up with 45 and or the Grand Parkway and the time and milage will be cut dramatically. As for the 80% of the residents who live in Chocrans Crossing, Grogan's Mill, Panther Creek, Indian Springs or even Alden Bridge, the commute isn't bad via Woodlands Pkwy or 242. Trust the ones who drive it for once.

IAH is about 17 miles from my house. Downtown is 29 miles. By the way, the folks in the very back of The Woodlands (Sterling Ridge and Creekside) may be far now, but the Montgomery County toll way will soon link up with 45 and or the Grand Parkway and the time and milage will be cut dramatically. As for the 80% of the residents who live in Chocrans Crossing, Grogan's Mill, Panther Creek, Indian Springs or even Alden Bridge, the commute isn't bad via Woodlands Pkwy or 242. Trust the ones who drive it for once.

That tollroad is on the Eastern side of Montgomery County near New Caney.

By the way, someone who use to drive that commute has already said that it takes almost 20 minutes to get out of The Woodlands. Mileage does not account for all those lights on The Woodlands Parkway, which should have been built as a parkway.

Sterling Ridge to Downtown is One hour and 20 minutes without wrecks during rush hour. Add another 10 minutes when you hit all red light going up the parkway, which happened 65% of the time. If its backed up at Panther Creek, who knows.

Well it doesn't take me that long, so I don't know what the problem is. Maybe drive faster. Are you the driver who does 45 mph on the parkway? Good lord, no wonder. The speed limit seriously needs to be raised to 60 from E. Panther all the way to 45.

Trust the ones who drive it for once.

I am. I lived at Budde Road and Valleywood for 3 years, and the drive was 27.5 miles. Note that this location is actually CLOSER to downtown than the Woodlands proper.

Why don't you list a nearby intersection to your house so we can check it on Yahoo Maps?

Note: My brother in Panther Creek is 32 miles from downtown. What Village are you in?

Well it doesn't take me that long, so I don't know what the problem is. Maybe drive faster. Are you the driver who does 45 mph on the parkway? Good lord, no wonder. The speed limit seriously needs to be raised to 60 from E. Panther all the way to 45.

why are you so determined to prove the woodlands isnt far from houston?

well it is.

ive lived there.

why are you so determined to prove the woodlands isnt far from houston?

well it is.

ive lived there.

All of a sudden everybody's lived there. We'll I'm glad your gone. Bye bye! Don't mind me, I think it's the beer talking.

All of a sudden everybody's lived there. We'll I'm glad your gone. Bye bye! Don't mind me, I think it's the beer talking.

I notice you refuse to tell us what intersection you live near. I suspect you used Yahoo Maps in the 3 hours since your previous post, and decided against proving yourself wrong.

Good call.

I notice you refuse to tell us what intersection you live near. I suspect you used Yahoo Maps in the 3 hours since your previous post, and decided against proving yourself wrong.

Good call.

Actually I was laying out by the pool. Thanks! I have other things I like to do besides argue against you people.

I'm not looking for the last word, but we should probably get back on topic. It's obviously we disagree. If it's not 2 ________ miles from downtown, then it's far out. Obviously the big city is not where you need to be. People in LA, NY, and San Fran would laugh at you.

By the way, the closest intersection is N. Millbend and Woodlands Parkway.

I'm not looking for the last word, but we should probably get back on topic. It's obviously we disagree. If it's not 2 ________ miles from downtown, then it's far out. Obviously the big city is not where you need to be. People in LA, NY, and San Fran would laugh at you.

By the way, the closest intersection is N. Millbend and Woodlands Parkway.

oh sorry i was also laying out at my pool!

anyways, we never said if it wasnt 2 miles from downtown then it is far out.

we are just saying the woodlands is just far out.

ha.

so a couple people say they've lived there and thats eveerrybody.

Shall we change the title of this blog to "The Great Suburban Commute Debate"?

I've lived inside the Loop for nearly 30 years, so yes, it's far to me. However, many people downtown commute via park and ride daily and don't seem to mind one bit. The Woodlands, Katy, Sugar Land and Pearland are all nice areas should you make the choice to live there. To each his own...

Shall we change the title of this blog to "The Great Suburban Commute Debate"?

No, I think it would be a "good call" for Redscare to make the measurements from the intersection he cajoled out of wxman and then either glory in certitude or apologize for acting an ass.

No, I think it would be a "good call" for Redscare to make the measurements from the intersection he cajoled out of wxman and then either glory in certitude or apologize for acting an ass.

Oh, if only it were so easy. You see, there is no such intersetion as N. Millbend and Woodlands Parkway. They never intersect. To use a common intersection close to the freeway, Woodlands Parkway at Grogans Mill, the distances are 22.1 miles to IAH, and 30 miles to downtown.

I am beginning to wonder if wxman even lives in the Woodlands. I would definitely not get directions from him. :D

Archived