wxman

Woodforest is another Master Planned Community between the Woodlands and Conroe. Supposed to be the way the Woodlands was, or something to that effect. Being built by an X-Woodlands President of some sort.

Huh? Seriously?

Boy, was I wrong! I thought Woodforest Bank was building a tower....

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Supposed to be the way the Woodlands was, or something to that effect.

What's 'the way the Woodlands was', or was supposed to be? To be fair, the only time I've been to the Woodlands was as a child in 1977, when my parents were looking to move. We went to Kingwood, the Woodlands, and Mason Rd like 3 times each looking at different model homes. At the end, my mom said the it was all the same except for the pine trees, and the houses with the trees cost more. We ended up in Katy (and my dad planted 2 pine trees.)

I do remember it being very pleasant and wooded and nothing else around. Is that the idea behind this new Woodforest?

What's 'the way the Woodlands was', or was supposed to be? To be fair, the only time I've been to the Woodlands was as a child in 1977, when my parents were looking to move. We went to Kingwood, the Woodlands, and Mason Rd like 3 times each looking at different model homes. At the end, my mom said the it was all the same except for the pine trees, and the houses with the trees cost more. We ended up in Katy (and my dad planted 2 pine trees.)

I do remember it being very pleasant and wooded and nothing else around. Is that the idea behind this new Woodforest?

By looking at the website, Woodforest is just a large community being built in the forest and rolling terrain. The closest community that I could compare it to would be maybe Firethorne in Katy.

I thought that title belonged to Galveston's downtown.

Perhaps it does currently, but I was only quoting the article from the first post.

In greater context:

" Also nearing completion in front of the Waterway Lofts is a new koi garden, an Oriental inspired park that will feature two islands. That facility is expected to open within the next several weeks.

"We are creating the largest pedestrian friendly environment in the Houston region," Leverett said. "

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/woo...ws/5644653.html

Edit: I could've quoted it better, to be sure. My bad.

Galveston is more walkable than even the best parts of Houston. And it has a beach. Unfortunately it isn't Houston.

I go to UTMB frequently and often think about how nice it'd be to live on the island. But it's a million miles from the things I like in Houston. This is about the only thing it has in common with the Woodlands.

I think sugar Land is better than the Woodlands my opinion

I personally like The Woodlands better than Sugar Land aesthetically speaking with all the tall pines & natural beauty, but the sheer amount of diversity in Sugar Land & all of Fort Bend County for that matter is worlds away from The Woodlands.

I personally like The Woodlands better than Sugar Land aesthetically speaking with all the tall pines & natural beauty, but the sheer amount of diversity in Sugar Land & all of Fort Bend County for that matter is worlds away from The Woodlands.

Well, you know I lived there. Pines trees provide no privacy when it comes to the residental areas. Hardwoods do that, and there are none there. In order not to see into your neighbor's house you had to plant a wall.

So that's my opinion of the Pine Trees.

all i can say is it's really freakin' cool to work in the woodlands town center! if you like development, as i do, it is great fun to watch us oncology rise from the forest while ground is being cleared for the next nine story office building right next door to where the twenty story condo tower will be. the new gourmet grocery & cafe is being completed just a few steps away from americas and four other amazing new restaurants and bars. friday after work is superior as everyone decides which cool place to patronize. and, the convenience of walking home, if you've had too many brewskies..........priceless.

not just another bedroom community................. ;)

btw, the new americas design is uber cool. find me in one of the floor level booths on a friday evening after a hard day of work.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.hcnonline.com/site/news.cfm?new...36250&rfi=6

The article above in the last paragraph mentions new office buildings and the condo tower. It says they will be opening soon! That means they're getting ready to break ground pretty quick.

By the way, those fountains are going to be awesome! Can somebody grab some pics? I won't be here, I'll be at A&M for parents day. That is, my parents are coming to see me. The article mentions a firework display as well...a little added incentive.

I was in The Woodlands this evening and 24 Waterway is illuminated by blue lights. It was amazing! The waterway is really coming along. The blue light illuminated the entire front side of 24 waterway...all 13 floors. Can't wait to see what the fountains look like. I wish I would have gotten a picture. You can't imagine how pretty it was.

So let me get this straight - The Woodlands becomes a sort-of "actual city" and the people who moved there to get away from the "actual city" now have to go to - what, Willis?

Part of the suburban folly is people moving "away from it all" only to have "it all" follow them out to the sticks....

So let me get this straight - The Woodlands becomes a sort-of "actual city" and the people who moved there to get away from the "actual city" now have to go to - what, Willis?

Part of the suburban folly is people moving "away from it all" only to have "it all" follow them out to the sticks....

As developed as The Woodlands is and is becoming, you'd be surprised at just how quiet and peaceful it is. I noticed that tonight. It's very quiet. I mean watching the squirrles and listening to the birds and wildlife...it's just amazing being so close to Houston. Not only that, but the town center is really a nice place for night life and recreation. That's probably a biased opinion, but at least I can admit it.

As developed as The Woodlands is and is becoming, you'd be surprised at just how quiet and peaceful it is. I noticed that tonight. It's very quiet. I mean watching the squirrles and listening to the birds and wildlife...it's just amazing being so close to Houston. Not only that, but the town center is really a nice place for night life and recreation. That's probably a biased opinion, but at least I can admit it.

It is not close to Houston. Actually if you wanted a ranch close to town, Manville would be your bet.

It is not close to Houston. Actually if you wanted a ranch close to town, Manville would be your bet.

It's not close? It takes me 30 minutes to get downtown...with traffic. If I wanted to ranch, I don't think I'd pick Montgomery County to do it in...considering the county will have over a million people in it by 2020. Now if Studemont or Kirby or Bissonet (random streets) is your idea of being close, then no, The Woodlands is not close. But I think you and several others on here are in the minority on this.

Ranching?? Gimme a break. I have a white collar job. I'm really not interested in ranching.

It's not close? It takes me 30 minutes to get downtown...with traffic. If I wanted to ranch, I don't think I'd pick Montgomery County to do it in...considering the county will have over a million people in it by 2020. Now if Studemont or Kirby or Bissonet (random streets) is your idea of being close, then no, The Woodlands is not close. But I think you and several others on here are in the minority on this.

Ranching?? Gimme a break. I have a white collar job. I'm really not interested in ranching.

True. And 1960, which is Houston, is barely over 5 mins away. But no, it's not inside 610.

Was it 2AM when you made it to Downtown in 30 minutes?

Was it 2AM when you made it to Downtown in 30 minutes?

Rush hour is a different story, but it doesn't take as long as you might think. 35-40 mins isn't necessarily pushing it depending on traffic. And I know you're arguing for time to downtown, but Houston is not just downtown. Also remember that although 45 is not traffic-free, it's not your katy freeway.

Rush hour is a different story, but it doesn't take as long as you might think. 35-40 mins isn't necessarily pushing it depending on traffic. And I know you're arguing for time to downtown, but Houston is not just downtown. Also remember that although 45 is not traffic-free, it's not your katy freeway.

I had an internship on Beechnut. From Rayford/Sawdust to Beechnut took 45 minutes (45 to 288 to 59 to Beechnut). I left the house at 8:30 am. The longest it EVER took me was 1 hour and 15 minutes. The weather was bad and there were accidents. Not to mention, I don't necessarily do the speed limit. I drive between 75 and 80 mph.

You'd be shocked to find out just how many high level, white collar workers own ranches in Texas.

I hear on the radio all the time in carpool line at 3pm they are saying 45 minutes from downtown to the top of the Hardy. that's at 3 pm and they aren't even in the Woodlands yet. Whenever hubby drove to downtown it was 50 minutes minimun AFTER he got out of the Woodlands. Getting out is a whole other story.

I actually found our neighborhood in the Woodlands louder than ours in the city. It had more to with the gas leaf blowers running 24/7, outdoor TVs and Stereos and the drag racers at night.

Its a good place for many to live, but it is VERY far away from Houston. I don't know about the night life, we are mid-30s and have been married since the dawn of time. Our idea of going out is to a 5 star eatery and then home again. That always included going into Houston, not having wine with the meal and then driving back again.

You'd be shocked to find out just how many high level, white collar workers own ranches in Texas.

I hear on the radio all the time in carpool line at 3pm they are saying 45 minutes from downtown to the top of the Hardy. that's at 3 pm and they aren't even in the Woodlands yet. Whenever hubby drove to downtown it was 50 minutes minimun AFTER he got out of the Woodlands. Getting out is a whole other story.

I actually found our neighborhood in the Woodlands louder than ours in the city. It had more to with the gas leaf blowers running 24/7, outdoor TVs and Stereos and the drag racers at night.

Its a good place for many to live, but it is VERY far away from Houston.

As somebody who drives it...I couldn't disagree more. I think you need to re-evaluate what VERY far is. VERY far would be Connecticut. I swear, if somebody has to drive more than 20 minutes, it ain't worth it. There are people who drive in a hell of a lot further out. Conroe, College Station, Galveston, Beaumont, and Rosenburg...those are a lot further out than The Woodlands. People in NY and LA travel over two hours to get to work.

As somebody who drives it...I couldn't disagree more. I think you need to re-evaluate what VERY far is. VERY far would be Connecticut. I swear, if somebody has to drive more than 20 minutes, it ain't worth it. There are people who drive in a hell of a lot further out. Conroe, College Station, Galveston, Beaumont, and Rosenburg...those are a lot further out than The Woodlands. People in NY and LA travel over two hours to get to work.

Well, that's their own damn fault.

We did drive it, we lived there for almost 3 years. And I was being generous and saying once you get out of the Woodlands. We had to get to the freeway first, which was another 20 minutes.

And you're right, more than a 20 minute drive twice daily (to get to employment) isn't worth it. But 30 is about the norm these days

Archived