The Post Oak Hotel At Uptown Houston At 1600 West Loop S.

King Owl

it seems like a maze. why did they bother putting that surface lot in? makes it more cumbersome to work.

I have a friend who works there. Evidently they added the new parking because they are digging through some of the existing parking lot to install pipes for the new building.

• 2 months later...

My buddy tells me they are getting ready to shut down the old parking lot on Hollyhurst in the next few weeks to start work on the building. The rest of the "new" parking lot is finished so they can shift the cars over. Most of the underground utility work appears to be complete. Hallmark is also torn up right now for repaving. Its very difficult to get in and out of the parking lot.

They are shuttling employees back and forth on site with a stretch golf car so people don't have to walk. Didn't know Fertitta cared that much. ; )

They also relocated a dozen or so trees from along Hollyhurst to along the 610 frontage road (instead of cutting them down) before they start working on the building.

Still appears to be moving forward....We need some good overhead pics though!

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip on the construction cam. I pulled it up and happened to see a terrible view of Randall's new Astoria and the white looks terrible. What the is he doing. Its going to be uglier than I had hoped it wouldn't.

He's determined to make Uptown look really cheesy. I'm sorry Cloud713, but this is going to be bad especially from the freeway side.

If the white is the final skin.

Thanks for the tip on the construction cam. I pulled it up and happened to see a terrible view of Randall's new Astoria and the white looks terrible. What the is he doing. Its going to be uglier than I had hoped it wouldn't.

He's determined to make Uptown look really cheesy. I'm sorry Cloud713, but this is going to be bad especially from the freeway side.

Given that it is a Randall Davis building, I assume the white is probably styrofoam board for an EIFS skin. Nothing but the best finishes! Of course, he could still ugly it up more with a really obnoxious color. Our only hope is for a total eclipse by the Post Oak.
  • Like 1

Huh.. Why the name drop? I just scrolled back a few pages and couldn't find any comment of mine referring to the Astoria?

I wasn't picking on you. You usually seem to defend Randall's work and I was just saying sorry because I thought it might rattle you

that I hate what he's doing to Uptown with his cheesy finishes and poorly executed work. Just look how stunning the new Billiton is and then look at the kitschy details on Randall's work. The diamond is ridiculous. Now what is it styrofoam and cheap plaster that he's

going to cover most of the building with. Reminds me of the other hotel in the Discovery Green, the Embassy Suites with its stucco

walls.

Cheap cheap cheap!

• Like 1

Haha, I've defended Randy's buildings a few times.. But I'm hardly the only person on the forum that likes some of his work. I do like the renderings for Astoria (just like the old Titan renderings, and obviously Arabella looks to be ridiculously awesome), but admit the top seems to have lost some detail and it might not be as chic as I once hoped. I guess time will tell

Edited by cloud713