The Post Oak Hotel At Uptown Houston At 1600 West Loop S.

King Owl

This coming week's HBJ will feature an article about major plans for the area around Landry's Headquarters on the West Loop between Post Oak Blvd and San Felipe.

Plans include the following;

1) A 20 story office tower. The tower will be built as spec and will try for led certification. It will have a 1,600 car garage and 475,000 square feet of Class A space. The tower will use Ziegler Cooper's old design for the 1600 West Loop South proposal that died a few year's ago. The Novati Group of Dallas is in charge of this tower which is set to open in April 2010.

1600_west_loop_web.gif

2) A new home for Willie G's Seafood and Steak House. This bldg will rise just South of Landry's Hdqts. It will allow for Simmons-Vedder to develop the old space further down Post Oak Blvd into an office building.

3) An early proposal for a 21 story hotel affiliated with Landry's. My guess is that an old rumor of a San Luis Hotel for Houston might be in the works or maybe they will try and land a national chain...

ooops, sorry, I didn't see KingOwl's post. Can this be merged with his? Thanks!

That is it. The MS Live map shows it well. The office building will be were the parking lot is on the bottom left corner. Note the brown/sandy looking area in the middle is where Landry's had a temporary facility for Christmas parties you could rent out. The smaller building with the circle roof is the Rolls/Bently dealer and you can see part of Landry's headquarters in the bottom right of the shot.

Nice design. Taller and more inventive than at least one of the garbage excuses for skyscrapers that are being built downtown. The green glass curve seems reminiscent of Wells Fargo.

How is Main Place, the Pavilions, or any of the new ones around the park, "garbage"? This thing is nice, and will certainly stand out next to the older buildings around it, but its not that great. It looks like a typical, turn of the last century design.

• 6 months later...
1) A 20 story office tower. The tower will be built as spec and will try for led certification. It will have a 1,600 car garage and 475,000 square feet of Class A space. The tower will use Ziegler Cooper's old design for the 1600 West Loop South proposal that died a few year's ago. The Novati Group of Dallas is in charge of this tower which is set to open in April 2010.

1600_west_loop_web.gif

well, nothing new ,but it aint nothing bad at all...

• 5 years later...

Perhaps it's a partial or modified revival of the plans for the site from the last boom?

At the time, the hotel was projected to be 21 stories, with a Willie G's, and a resurrected proposal for an office building from the late 90s/early2000s, which ultimately died again.

We even had a thread for it at one point...

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/15076-new-20-story-tower-on-west-loop

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
  • Like 1

somehow, i simply cannot believe that any developer would build a "grand hyatt hotel" upon that close proximity to the newest "galleria hyatt" now under construction.  this would be a absolutely ridiculous.  (these are not like "starbucks" coffee shops)  

not to mention, upon my experiences abroad, "grand hyatt hotels", are normally "humongous"...   especially, the one in dubai, uae.  as well as bali, indonesia.  i shall not believe that this is a prospective "grand hyatt hotel" until i see it with my own eyes.  no way!

• Like 1