Cold Case Murder Mysteries

marionza

I am developing a TV series for a national network about historical cold case murder mysteries that happened roughly between the years 1920 and 1950. I am looking for murder stories to turn into future episodes. Does anything spring to mind? I am doing research in the Houston area because I have family in and around Conroe. However, if you have a story that didn't happen in Houston, that is totally fine too. Please share! Great stories from anywhere in the U.S. are fair game. Thanks!

There was the true story of the middle age son that disappeared never to be found that murdered his parents. It was near Montrose or rather in Montrose or Heights?

House is still there and when cops found the parents they had been dismembered and heads in frig. All done very neatly as if expecting a crowd. Now someone here should verify the date, so it may have been in 1961-62 so I'm afraid it missed your time frame. Sorry. I tried to dig thur Chron but no luck, strange though since they had the story resurface after all these decades. Was very shocking for its day, now it just considered normal everyday stuff by todays standards.

There was the true story of the middle age son that disappeared never to be found that murdered his parents. It was near Montrose or rather in Montrose or Heights?

House is still there and when cops found the parents they had been dismembered and heads in frig. All done very neatly as if expecting a crowd. Now someone here should verify the date, so it may have been in 1961-62 so I'm afraid it missed your time frame. Sorry. I tried to dig thur Chron but no luck, strange though since they had the story resurface after all these decades. Was very shocking for its day, now it just considered normal everyday stuff by todays standards.

I remember the one I think you're referring to... mid-60's time-frame. It occurred in a house on Driscoll St, just south of the River Oaks Center. His name was Rogers, I think. I thought it had been discussed here before, but I couldn't find it.

That was the most bizarre part of the story is he vanished. It was assumed he was possibly still living, but who willl ever know?

Just an FYI, I was told that there once was a crime magazine here in Houston that would feature local stories of real life murders. I wonder if that could be proven? An elderly relative told me years ago about this magazine (maybe was Zest) that told of a true murder in the mid 50's. A young teenaged girl shot her mothers boyfriend because he was attacking her. Shot him dead and she was taken to juvenile prison but was later released as it was proven as self defense. Maybe it was considered bizarre because the same thing happened to Lana Turner's daughter around that same time. I imagine thats the kind of stories you are seeking. Did happen in the 50's too. Near Northside of Houston. Hardy street area.

These cases from that time period were unsolved as of 1997:

- Thelma Lloyd, 33, was found slain in her home at 6412 Kemp on April 26, 1938. Police said she had been beaten to death with a wrench.

- Dollie Garrett Richardson, 42, was found viciously beaten in her house in the 5200 block of Hancock on April, 17, 1944.

- Barney Goldstein, 55, was stabbed to death in his store, which was then set on fire. The slaying occurred Dec. 5, 1947, at 7802 Harrisburg.

- Henry Bergman, 87, was beaten to death at his business at 704 Franklin on New Year's Eve, 1948. Robbery was the motive.

- Paula Rodriguez, 32, killed while sleeping in bed with her husband at 170 Glasser on Feb. 3, 1949. Her husband and two young children also were attacked but survived.

- Lucille Lacy Smith, 38, shot to death at Em's Package store at 3315 Reo on Sept. 21, 1954.

- Rosalie White, 41, shot during a robbery at Al's Loan Office, a pawn shop at 3208 Dowling, on Nov. 21, 1952.

I am developing a TV series for a national network about historical cold case murder mysteries that happened roughly between the years 1920 and 1950. I am looking for murder stories to turn into future episodes. Does anything spring to mind? I am doing research in the Houston area because I have family in and around Conroe. However, if you have a story that didn't happen in Houston, that is totally fine too. Please share! Great stories from anywhere in the U.S. are fair game. Thanks!

I don't personally know much if anything about unsolved Houston area crimes from that era, but there's at least one guy in Houston who probably does --- retired Houston Chronicle police-beat crime reporter Stan Redding.

In addition to his job of reporting for the Chron, Redding has written countless "dick-book" stories over the years. "Dick-Books" is the old slang term for those true detective mystery crime magazines, and Redding is just one of many working reporters who made extra money writing for them.

Redding helped Frank Abagnale write his autobiography, Catch Me If You Can, which became a movie.

If he's still living, and I think he is, Redding could provide a lot of material for your cold-case project. If you can find him.

I remember the "Ice Box Murders" very well. I didn't realize until reading here and searching the Net that Rogers was, or probably was an assassin, and that he may have been involved in the JFK assassination. There was a theory that he was one of the three "bums" arrested in a rail car, the others possibly being Howard Hunt and John Harrelson (killer of Judge Wood and son of Woody). It was claimed he killed his parents because they knew too much.

Rogers and the "Ice Box Murders" are recounted in the book The Man on The Grassy Knoll which also includes a far-fetched account of Rogers participating in the assassination of JFK.

Oddly enough, Baytown has been the scene of several wierd and interesting murders over the decades. A friend of mine did a series about them for the Baytown Sun several years ago. One of the best included two women who disappeared after telling their families they were going on a weekend trip to LA. Their remains were found several years later in a drained Rice field out near Winnie. The Killers have never been found although police likely know who they are. They seemed to be involved in some wierd sexual scavenger hunt game played by some local wackadoos. The case was featured on the old Fox TV magazine A Current Affair as well as the show City Confidential.

• 2 years later...

Earlier today, I typed into the computer the name Rosalie White as well as the date of her murder as this is my grandmother. I had received a call from my father earlier today as he was calling to tell me he just phoned Dateline to see whether or not there is anything they can do to help solve this mystery. My mom, Rosalie's daughter is such a wonderful person and deserves to know who committed such a horrible act. Any information that anyone has would be extremely appreciated not only by myself, but my family as well. Thank you

Are you still looking for stories, and is 1981 too recent for your scripting?

• 4 years later...

I just found this thread. "The Ice Box Murders" were committed on Father's Day, June 20, 1965. The case has never been officially closed by HPD Homicide. The only suspect in the case, Charles F. Rogers, was the son of the victims, Fred and Edwina Rogers.We spent 5+ years starting in October 1997, researching this case, determining the friends and associates of Charles Rogers, and tracking him. There is a great deal to this case that has never been shared with the public. Our book, "The Ice Box Murders," is available in the Amazon Kindle Store. Our book website is http://iceboxmurders.com and our Facebook website for the case is: https://www.facebook.com/gardeniericebox We update the Facebook page regularly.

We took a "fresh look" at this case. In profiling Charles we determined that his actions were more indicative of a white collar criminal than a psychopath or other violent offender. At that time we used our backgrounds and experience in forensic accounting to put together an appropriate paper trail. That trail did not include work for the CIA, or political assassinations. Surprisingly we determined, as we suspected, that Charles Rogers was not a recluse, but, in fact, he had a separate, and long life away from Houston. Our book does not include any "composite characters". Some names have been changed for obvious reasons, but much of the book is based on interviews we did, thousands of documents, and hundreds of FOIA and TORA requests.  

• 2 years later...
On 2/2/2008 at 8:16 AM, FilioScotia said:

I don't personally know much if anything about unsolved Houston area crimes from that era, but there's at least one guy in Houston who probably does --- retired Houston Chronicle police-beat crime reporter Stan Redding.

In addition to his job of reporting for the Chron, Redding has written countless "dick-book" stories over the years. "Dick-Books" is the old slang term for those true detective mystery crime magazines, and Redding is just one of many working reporters who made extra money writing for them.

Redding helped Frank Abagnale write his autobiography, Catch Me If You Can, which became a movie.

If he's still living, and I think he is, Redding could provide a lot of material for your cold-case project. If you can find him.

Have you done any research on the murder of Paula Rodriguez, 32 back in 1949 in Houston, texas? She was my Dad's sister, and I believe the case was never solved. Many believed her husband did it, but he to my knowlege was never charged. Her children wound up in state schools due to disabilities caused during the attack. My aunt was killed with an ax, and the children were attacked with hammers. I would like to hear anything you may have found. I do remember a magazine that ran this story with pictures that my dad had, but i don't know any info on the magazine nor do I know what happened to the one daddy had.

I also have an uncle, Jesus B. Cano who disappeared from Florida in the mid 1960's. His family has never come up  with any explanations. His wife Katherine Cano said he just left, was naked when he left, and did not even take his wallet?????? If his children know anything, they are not saying. I have been going on the ancestry to try to locate him, but I am very new to this type of research. I would like answers for our families, even though their parents are deceased, and so are all the siblings except for one sister. I did find him on the florida 1945 census, but nothing after that. These are both very common hispanic names so you get a lot of dead ends. In this case the family also believed that the wife was responsible. I would appreciate anything on either of these that you may come across. thank you for what you are doing, i am sure other families live their lives just wondering about their loved ones........

• 3 weeks later...

The Phantom Killer case springs to mind; it took place in small town Texarkana in 1946. The killer's modus operandi was quite unusual, hence my instant recall of the case. The 1976 movie titled 'The Town That Dreaded Sundown' was inspired by the unsolved killings.

• 3 years later...

According to the October, 1949 issue of Official Detective Stories, Paula Rodriguez was killed by her son Amado, the latter also assaulting his father and two sisters in Houston on the evening of February 2nd, 1949.  Amado pretended to be in Victoria, Texas, but went to Houston that night to ask his father for money to start a business.  His father refused, Amado became angry and belligerent, and made the assaults.

More information here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B082T2VZDN?ref=myi_title_dp

Archived