City Place: Multifamily At 306 McGowen St.

Gaeshun

If I remember correctly, this was Papa Farb's son who purchased this land. He plans on building an upscale apartment community with a garage across the way attached via skyridge. The project was dubbed CitiPlace when it was first announced.

If my memory is correct, you can see some of the townhome communities he's developed here, www.farbhomes.com

theres a thread or two about this project in the midtown forums.

for clarification, its harold farbs grandson.

long story short:

it will be built on 3 parcels, parking garage will be wrapped by the main building, pool on top overlooking downtown (while hopefully somewhat hiding the phone tower) , and rents are projected to be about $1.50 psf.

edited to add midtown forum links here and here (gave details in post #23)

Edited by houston-development

The construction you see is a Midtown TIRZ project...updating utilities/water/streets/etc. They currently have Helena and Baldine ripped up.

From what I know about the Farb project, they are eventually planning the midrisde apartments mentioned above. They were unable to negotiate out of the cell tower lease, therefore the building will "surround" the tower. I've also heard this project is delayed behind higher margin projects they have planned.

From what I know about the Farb project, they are eventually planning the midrisde apartments mentioned above. They were unable to negotiate out of the cell tower lease, therefore the building will "surround" the tower. I've also heard this project is delayed behind higher margin projects they have planned.

um....

he is not doing a midrise, its a 4-story project.

the cell phone tower will be enclosed by the 6 level parking garage, which will be wrapped by the main building. the top will be seen but hes designed it so focus will be diverted elsewhere. he gave up trying to negotiate several months ago.

it was delayed due to the architects, not because of "higher margin projects". he has a couple of townhome projects and that margin is ABSOLUTELY nothing compared to this deal.

• 1 month later...

There seems to be some action in the past week. A large ground billboard, painted black now, has gone up. I imagine they will advertise the new mid rise if that is still happening. Today, they've been putting up a fence around the two parcels of land next to each other. Anybody have any new information on whether the mid rise is still the plan for this property?

i think that billboard is the same one he had up before (for information, please call..) they knocked down the fence.

hes planning on breaking ground in the next 60-days and allegedly has financing.

and its not a midrise, its 4-story wrapped around a parking garage with 2 out-parcels that will be connected via sky bridges.

Definitions of what constitutes a "midrise" are hazy. You're correct that Farb is planning a four-story wrap, but in the spectrum of descriptors (low-rise, midrise, highrise, skyscraper), a lot of people--including professionals--consider this to also be a midrise.

Definitions of what constitutes a "midrise" are hazy. You're correct that Farb is planning a four-story wrap, but in the spectrum of descriptors (low-rise, midrise, highrise, skyscraper), a lot of people--including professionals--consider this to also be a midrise.

since when did people in our profession start calling 4-story stick product a midrise?

geeze, next thing you know people are going to start over-using the term "luxury living", even for C product.

ooops, too late, they already do...

:mellow:

Billboard pic attached...sorry for the low res. They've since addeded a covered chain link fence are the property. Given the placement of the billboard, I would imagine a rendering/advertisement for the complex. Looking forward to the ground breaking.

thanks for the pic. i drove by there on tuesday evening and nothing was there, so that must have gone up afterwards.

Edited by houston-development

since when did people in our profession start calling 4-story stick product a midrise?

Hell, HAR classifies any condo project that is four stories or higher as highrise. Planners, architects, consultants, politicians, and media also throw around 'midrise' liberally. And as you pointed out, marketing materials just lie outright about various things.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Recent signage on McGowen @ Bagby seems to suggest that Farb is ditching the "Citiplace" idea and selling the properties (3) around this intersection. How about a nice big park!!!??? Unfortnately, the property is too valuable and that idea will surely not go through. I imagine, in the end, we will see townhomes there.