Manor East Mall Pictures

IronTiger

I don't have real good answers, but I'll take a crack at them:

1) How many years were there between when Montgomery Ward was built and the mall was built?

Don't know, probably about 8-10 years, I think I heard "Manor East Mall" was finished in the early 70's, but I'd bet the Kroger and Wards were built in the mid-60's.

2) What replaced JCPenney? A grocery store? And then did Bealls and JoAnn replace that?

It was a discount grocery called Food 4 Less(really cruddy inside) and then a 50 Off store. Because Bealls moved during the Tejas Center remodel, they are both now in the footprint of the old Penney's.

3)When did Wal-Mart open?

Probably around 1983 or so, I remember when it wasn't there. I'm not sure if I'm the only one who sees the original post on this page, but to answer a question from that post(which has probably already been answered), the Walmart was connected to the mall, but the entrance was not very glamorous.

4) When did Montgomery Ward close?

It hung on for a long time, the car service department stayed pretty busy. It finally closed around 2000 maybe?

• 1 month later...

This Picture is from 2003. After Wards, Beals, Eckerd Drugs and TSO closed and Kroger was long gone. My mom said the original Skyway Drive-in movie was here (before the Skyway Twin was constructed on 29th). A Dairy Queen was here at Villa Maria and Texas where Sound Waves was for years. I was born in Bryan in '62, lived on E 28th went to the old Fannin/Lamar/Carver/Jones/SFA/BHS Schools. What a happy time!

post-8682-12480320282369_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I read an old newspaper article that mentioned a Mexican place called Kress within the mall. Any other food places besides Orange Julius (presumably full-line at the time)?

Kress was not a Mexican place - it was a chain five and dime store (like Woolworth's).

• 1 year later...

Recently I've been wondering about the now-defunct Manor East Mall. I have memories of passing it when I had dental appointments of a child, but never went inside until 2000.

The exterior memories include a dated pylon with a pinwheel logo and a listing of long-defunct stores including Krystal Nails and some computer training place. Bealls, Jo-Ann Fabrics, 50 Off Store, a sign that was presumably from the old theater (near McDonald's), Family Dollar, the ancient Montgomery Ward (two level or no?), and Hastings and a strip mall (built in the early 1990s).

I remember going inside once in 2000 to go to Animal World to get stuff for our new kitten we bought earlier that day. It was blue cinderblocks inside with small windows lining the sides. It had benches and was a maze to get to the pet store. Presumably, much of the walls were drywalled-off storefronts.

There was an abandoned Wal-Mart behind the mall. I don't know if it connected or not.

Does anyone have pictures/memories of the old mall?

I do have photos of Manor East Mall, but it was not taken by a digital camera. I need to find out how to scan these photos as I grew up going to Manor East Mall back in the 1970's. Sadly I am also hearing that Post Oak Mall is not doing that well as I was told by a friend who works at Sears that Post Oak Mall is already starting to look like a ghost town. I love the architectural modern contemporary style of Manor East Mall. Many good memories too!

I do have photos of Manor East Mall, but it was not taken by a digital camera. I need to find out how to scan these photos as I grew up going to Manor East Mall back in the 1970's. Sadly I am also hearing that Post Oak Mall is not doing that well as I was told by a friend who works at Sears that Post Oak Mall is already starting to look like a ghost town. I love the architectural modern contemporary style of Manor East Mall. Many good memories too!

Walgreen's will charge a fee to scan those pictures.

If you mail them to me, I'd be more than happy to scan them for you for free, post them here, and return the photos and the scanned images on a DVD to you.

You can get my mailing address by clicking "Contact" near the bottom of any HAIF web page.

• 6 months later...

I remember this mall. I spent a few childhood years in the B-C.S. area and in the mid-80's my mother worked at the Walmart there. On some Saturdays, I would ride to work with her and hang out at the Aladdin's Castle Arcade in the mall or catch a movie at the theater. I think I saw Weird Science like 4 times there lol. I also remember always wanting to go into the radio station to get a tour of the facility and one lucky Saturday, the gates were open and I strolled in there and asked the first person I saw if he could show me around and he did. I was around 11 years old and it was the coolest thing ever lol. I met the DJ (don't remember his name) and I was also shown the AM part of the facility which if I remember correctly had no on-air personalities.

I would love to see mid-80's pics of this mall.

Archived