Six Houston Center At 800 Caroline St.

UrbaNerd

An astute colleague of mine at work (and lurker on this site!) noticed that there were no cars parked today on the site of 6 Houston Center. I believe today is the first day that it hadn't been used as a surface parking lot. looks like they're up to something.....

I went by today and the lot was completely fenced off. I think something is indeed afoot...

I've read in the Chronicle that it will be 31 stories (21 office space, 10 parking) and around 600,000 sq ft. It doesn't surprise me that it would be finished before MainPlace and Discovery Tower, considering those are going to be larger structures (Mainplace 46 stories and Discovery Tower ~800,000 sq ft).

So is this written in stone?

Given MainPlace's official groundbreaking on Earth Day in April, 6HC in March, and possible groundbreakings for La Quinta, Embassy Suites, Discovery Tower, and throw in the proposed Convention Hotel and East Downtown could have a lot of cranes in the air by maybe next summer (2009).

Edited by GovernorAggie

Given MainPlace's official groundbreaking on Earth Day in April, 6HC in March, and possible groundbreakings for La Quinta, Embassy Suites, Discovery Tower, and throw in the proposed Convention Hotel and East Downtown could have a lot of cranes in the air by maybe next summer (2009).

awww....we're going to have a bunch of baby cranes!

438616077_275531301f.jpg?v=0

Driving around downtown, I was going down San Jacinto from McKinny and I was stunned to find that the fenced in lot I saw cars were parked inside!

I almost didn't notice the green light to go!

Anyone know what's going on?

They charge $5 now, though.

Driving around downtown, I was going down San Jacinto from McKinny and I was stunned to find that the fenced in lot I saw cars were parked inside!

I almost didn't notice the green light to go!

Anyone know what's going on?

They charge $5 now, though.

Sounds like someone canceled a project... ugh.

Wasn't the groundbreaking set for March 1st? Think they're just using the space for parking until then? (wishful thinking)

Well, I'm the long-time lurker who works with KingOwl. In any case, I asked our receptionist about this project today. She was recently at a meeting that went through some of the upcoming downtown projects...she remembers that there will actually be two structures on nearby lots: 1. an 11 story parking garage and 2. 6 Houston Center. I think that's news to all of us (seemed like only one structure was coming our way) so we'll have to wait and see what actually happens on that lot.

I doubt they'd add that fence for fun...something's definitely up.

Well, I'm the long-time lurker who works with KingOwl. In any case, I asked our receptionist about this project today. She was recently at a meeting that went through some of the upcoming downtown projects...she remembers that there will actually be two structures on nearby lots: 1. an 11 story parking garage and 2. 6 Houston Center. I think that's news to all of us (seemed like only one structure was coming our way) so we'll have to wait and see what actually happens on that lot.

Do you happen to know when that meeting was?

Welcome. :) And thanks for the info. :)

Ok, so it seems that this lot is now open for parking, so I parked on it today. I asked the attendant what they're going to build, and he said that it would be a parking garage and apartments. Huh? He may have been clueless, though, since he was a parking attendant and probably wasn't as well versed as those of us who browse this forum with any regularity.