Six Houston Center At 800 Caroline St.

UrbaNerd

I heard 6 Houston Center will begin Feb 1 2008 and finish before the MainPlace and Discovery Tower

Yep yep. Render spotted even, after a bit of Googling.

sixhoustoncenteroo1.jpg

Edited by UrbaNerd

where is this going?

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...st&p=222403

That's great that they're going to start on Feb 1. To my knowledge, nobody has seen a rendering of 6 Houston Center. I'd love to see it, since my office view looks right at the property. I've read in the Chronicle that it will be 31 stories (21 office space, 10 parking) and around 600,000 sq ft. It doesn't surprise me that it would be finished before MainPlace and Discovery Tower, considering those are going to be larger structures (Mainplace 46 stories and Discovery Tower ~800,000 sq ft). Here's a picture of the site where 6 Houston Center will be, if I'm not mistaken (right north of 5 Houston Center). It's the shaded block in the picture just to the side of the Fulbright Tower. That area will be quite busy in the coming months, as the La Quinta will be built on the block with the Texas Flag building, the Discovery Tower garage will be on the block just east of 6 Houston Center, and then Discovery Tower will be just south of its garage. Plus One Park Place and the Embassy Suites are right next to the soon to be complete park. Whew, a lot going on right outside my window!

img-resized.png Reduced: 64% of original size [ 800 x 600 ] - Click to view full image6hc.jpg

Can't say I'm too overjoyed by the design, or the fact that this presentation shows the building at only 29 stories as opposed to the 31 we had heard earlier. However, I do like the fact that they appeared to make the new building something of a hybrid between 5 Houston Center and 3 Houston Center (now the Fulbright Tower, formerly the Chevron Tower). ....assuming this rendering is still what they intend on building.

Though I would have liked a little bit more exciting design, if this is indeed the final choice, at this point I'm almost ok with anything that doesn't include beige stucco.

I'd agree that there's nothing overtly flashy about the design, but in retrospect, I think I can understand the designer trying to make HC 6 blend in more with its surrounding (specifically HC 5). Sometimes a cutting edge design is bedeviled by its surroundings, and given HC 6's location, maybe daring might not work as well.

For example, I think Heritage Plaza would look a lot less attractive if not for Wells Fargo Plaza being nearby, and so forth.

I'd agree that there's nothing overtly flashy about the design, but in retrospect, I think I can understand the designer trying to make HC 6 blend in more with its surrounding (specifically HC 5). Sometimes a cutting edge design is bedeviled by its surroundings, and given HC 6's location, maybe daring might not work as well.

For example, I think Heritage Plaza would look a lot less attractive if not for Wells Fargo Plaza being nearby, and so forth.

I'll agree with you, HC 6 is probably not the best building for any type of cutting edge design or something totally left field. I actually think the design will work well.

For clarification's sake, I thought that 6 Houston Center was supposed to be on the block (San Jacinto/Caroline/Walker/Rusk) surrounded by the Melrose Building, The old Federal Reserve building, 1 Houston Center & one of the HC Garages...

Also, the domain 6houstoncenter.com has been reserved by the firm that has designed the websites of Crescent's other properties.

For clarification's sake, I thought that 6 Houston Center was supposed to be on the block (San Jacinto/Caroline/Walker/Rusk) surrounded by the Melrose Building, The old Federal Reserve building, 1 Houston Center & one of the HC Garages...

Also, the domain 6houstoncenter.com has been reserved by the firm that has designed the websites of Crescent's other properties.

Actually I think you're correct. Sorry if I was the source of the confusion. For some reason I had in my head where it was in the picture I took...

Can't say I'm too overjoyed by the design, or the fact that this presentation shows the building at only 29 stories as opposed to the 31 we had heard earlier. However, I do like the fact that they appeared to make the new building something of a hybrid between 5 Houston Center and 3 Houston Center (now the Fulbright Tower, formerly the Chevron Tower). ....assuming this rendering is still what they intend on building.

I'm happy that the Houston skyline is growing horizontally. I think we've often focused on the vertical growth ... I would one day like to see 'the skyline' be filled in from downtown all the way to uptown. Now wouldn't that be a site.

I like this design alright, but it's nowhere as groundbreaking as the stuff in the 80s ... but then again, we'll probably never see those daring (foolish?) designs again. Times have changed.

I'm happy that the Houston skyline is growing horizontally. I think we've often focused on the vertical growth ... I would one day like to see 'the skyline' be filled in from downtown all the way to uptown. Now wouldn't that be a site.

I like this design alright, but it's nowhere as groundbreaking as the stuff in the 80s ... but then again, we'll probably never see those daring (foolish?) designs again. Times have changed.

Imagine Houston being filled in from downtown to uptown AND downtown to the medical center.

Well, we have this photo:

discoverygreen2010xi4.jpg

I realize Six Houston Center will to the right of this photo, so does anyone think they are up to the challenge of adding Six Houston Center to any downtown Houston photo? ^_^

I thought that was an old photo someone just threw together to give us an idea of what that area will look like w/ completed developments?

I thought that was an old photo someone just threw together to give us an idea of what that area will look like w/ completed developments?

That's right. It was just to show the proposals and that's what I'm proposing for anyone to do. :P