River Oaks District: Mixed-Use Development At 4444 Westheimer Rd. & 4702 Westheimer Rd.

Barneys did not even survive in Dallas a few years after making a huge investment  and it is very unrealistic for such a progressive store to open in a city known for dressing conservatively and badly. Even Forty Five Ten which is from Texas itself is being super conservative with a minuscule store of 5000 sqft when their Dallas store is over 35,000. If Barneys opened here it would suffer the fate you described where lots of people would go "live" there to occupy space and not actually buy anything which is what people here love to do causing the business to be bad and send the real clientele to Beverly Hills and NYC aka squatter free stores. 

• Like 1

Just now, iah77 said:

Barneys did not even survive in Dallas a few years after making a huge investment  and it is very unrealistic for such a progressive store to open in a city known for dressing conservatively and badly. Even Forty Five Ten which is from Texas itself is being super conservative with a minuscule store of 5000 sqft when their Dallas store is over 35,000. If Barneys opened here it would suffer the fate you described where lots of people would go "live" there to occupy space and not actually buy anything which is what people here love to do causing the business to be bad and send the real clientele to Beverly Hills and NYC aka squatter free stores. 

Barneys did not even survive in Dallas a few years after making a huge investment  and it is very unrealistic for such a progressive store to open in a city known for dressing conservatively and badly. Even Forty Five Ten which is from Texas itself is being super conservative with a minuscule store of 5000 sqft when their Dallas store is over 35,000. If Barneys opened here it would suffer the fate you described where lots of people would go "live" there to occupy space and not actually buy anything which is what people here love to do causing the business to be bad and send the real clientele to Beverly Hills and NYC aka squatter free stores. [Will happen, just not in next 5 years lol]

3 minutes ago, iah77 said:

hot take alert! any other subtle digs you want to take at houston while you're at it?

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, iah77 said:

I may be reaching, but you sort of sound bitter....even for someone from Dallas.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gene said:

well it didnt survive the houston galleria but maybe it would survive ROD... 

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/fashion/10-04-10-barneys-co-op-will-close-galleria-store-in-january/

i just liked their cool window displays at the galleria ;)

That was a Co-Op.  Quite a different animal from the full-fledged Barney's New York.  Having said that, Barney's New York also had a store in the Houston Galleria a few years back.  I'm pretty sure they also had a store in the Dallas Galleria at the same time.  So they've tried and failed in Dallas twice. 

• Like 1

Yeah Barneys actually opened up twice at NorthPark Center, once in the 1990s and again in 2006-2012. Houston had a Co-Op at the Galleria that closed in 2010. Dallas shoppers tend to stay pretty loyal to Neiman Marcus (which has 4 DFW locations) and other established stores in the area like Forty Five Ten and Stanley Korshak, which doesn't leave much more room for other luxury department stores.

Barney's would be great for River Oaks District but if a Co-Op store couldn't last, I don't think that the full line will either unfortunately. :( 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rayjay said:

Yeah Barneys actually opened up twice at NorthPark Center, once in the 1990s and again in 2006-2012. Houston had a Co-Op at the Galleria that closed in 2010. Dallas shoppers tend to stay pretty loyal to Neiman Marcus (which has 4 DFW locations) and other established stores in the area like Forty Five Ten and Stanley Korshak, which doesn't leave much more room for other luxury department stores.

Barney's would be great for River Oaks District but if a Co-Op store couldn't last, I don't think that the full line will either unfortunately. :( 

I've always wondered why Neiman Marcus has FOUR D-FW locations and Houston has just one (Town & Country's closed a little over a decade ago with no replacement).

b06602f37505d98cc59fb094c2e15df0.jpg

^^^ ok everyone, THIS^^^ is the real reason that we lost our little satellite BARNEY'S store that was in the galleria next to neimans.  it was built within the disastrous and yet beloved 1980's in houston.  i used to LOVE that particular store... and purchased many items from it.  it broke my heart when they pulled out of the mall.  my biggest fantasy nowadays, would be for the galleria officials to take away that decrepit DILLARDS post oak store, and replace it with a BARNEY'S vs BLOOMINGDALES.  i have had the foremost pleasure of shopping quite often at the BLOOMINGDALES at the DUBAI MALL, UAE... and i LOVE this place.  our current houston economy could certainly support either establishment... and i would die a happy man.... 

Edited by monarch

Lol, "Galleria officials" as in Simon Malls which does not own that site?:D That Dillards is a really beautiful modernist piece and will not be touched as it's one of the highest performing stores in their portfolio. :)

Bloomingdales is owned by Federated Department store  out of cough Ohio [The same owners as Macy's] so basically it's an upscale Macy's with Macy's service lol. Can you imagine that after they bought Folley's, they though Houston was so ruinous that they would rather have 2 full line redundant Macy's than just have one as a Bloomingdales? [And those were during the good years...]. They only reason the one in Dubai is nicer than the others is because its franchised by Chalhoub Group who own about half the luxury stores in the gulf; and everything is always overt he top. A second Bloomingdales will be opening in Abu Dhabi soon also under their ownership. Neither would survive here and it's not because of lack of money, its simply because in Houston there is not a reason to spend so much to look good with so many options. What are you going to do, wear couture to go to Kirby or the slew on nonexistent luxury bars and hotels lol? There is not enough social infastructure to need to be so competitive here yet, maybe in the future :D

34 minutes ago, iah77 said:

Lol, "Galleria officials" as in Simon Malls which does not own that site?:D That Dillards is a really beautiful modernist piece and will not be touched as it's one of the highest performing stores in their portfolio. :)

Bloomingdales is owned by Federated Department store  out of cough Ohio [The same owners as Macy's] so basically it's an upscale Macy's with Macy's service lol. Can you imagine that after they bought Folley's, they though Houston was so ruinous that they would rather have 2 full line redundant Macy's than just have one as a Bloomingdales? [And those were during the good years...]. They only reason the one in Dubai is nicer than the others is because its franchised by Chalhoub Group who own about half the luxury stores in the gulf; and everything is always overt he top. A second Bloomingdales will be opening in Abu Dhabi soon also under their ownership. Neither would survive here and it's not because of lack of money, its simply because in Houston there is not a reason to spend so much to look good with so many options. What are you going to do, wear couture to go to Kirby or the slew on nonexistent luxury bars and hotels lol? There is not enough social infastructure to need to be so competitive here yet, maybe in the future :D

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you are an ignorant troll.  (And I use the word ignorant in the friendliest kindest sense; you simply don't know what you are typing about.)

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, iah77 said:

^^^ my good pal, i can see that you have done your homework in regards to the BLOOMIES / DUBAI.  they really are a bit more higher end than their normal statewide edifices.... unless it's the new york store which is still quite fabulous.  the store is so high end in dubai, that it reminds me a bit of our houston neiman marcus.  however, my most favorite department store in dubai, shall be none other than the HARVEY NICHOLS store... located at the MALL OF THE EMIRATES - DUBAI, UAE... this powerhouse of high-end retail totally rocks!  wow!  nonetheless, getting back to the decrepit DILLARDS post oak store.... this place reminds me of the house of HERMAN THE MONSTER and his family.  (this store simply reeks!)  it looks as though it is ready to crumble to the ground.  every time that i have entered this shocking place... i expected to see spider webs all over the ceilings... the store is just old and quite creepy.  its time has indeed passed..... 

2 hours ago, monarch said:

^^^ my good pal, i can see that you have done your homework in regards to the BLOOMIES / DUBAI.  they really are a bit more higher end than their normal statewide edifices.... unless it's the new york store which is still quite fabulous.  the store is so high end in dubai, that it reminds me a bit of our houston neiman marcus.  however, my most favorite department store in dubai, shall be none other than the HARVEY NICHOLS store... located at the MALL OF THE EMIRATES - DUBAI, UAE... this powerhouse of high-end retail totally rocks!  wow!  nonetheless, getting back to the decrepit DILLARDS post oak store.... this place reminds me of the house of HERMAN THE MONSTER and his family.  (this store simply reeks!)  it looks as though it is ready to crumble to the ground.  every time that i have entered this shocking place... i expected to see spider webs all over the ceilings... the store is just old and quite creepy.  its time has indeed passed..... 

No homework was needed as this is common knowledge, and fyi Chalhoub Group ALSO owns Harvey Nicols in Dubai so I recommend you like their Facebook page since you seem to be a huge fan of theirs lol. They are a sweet family from Damascus operating out of UAE. 

And I'm not a troll, but if you all would like to call me that for having a working knowledge of the retail and development sectors, then more that welcome. I honestly felt I needed to contribute because the request were getting a little crazy, next it was going to be that Chanel should relocate their global headquarters to ROE lol.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, iah77 said:

No homework was needed as this is common knowledge, and fyi Chalhoub Group ALSO owns Harvey Nicols in Dubai so I recommend you like their Facebook page since you seem to be a huge fan of theirs lol. They are a sweet family from Damascus operating out of UAE. 

And I'm not a troll, but if you all would like to call me that for having a working knowledge of the retail and development sectors, then more that welcome. I honestly felt I needed to contribute because the request were getting a little crazy, next it was going to be that Chanel should relocate their global headquarters to ROE lol.

^^^ no way would i refer to our valued HAIF members as "trolls"!  iah77, i value your intimate knowledge of retail establishments as well as patronage to our wonderful site.  please feel free to post more often.  i have been working within the middle east since 2005 (afghanistan). dubai, uae, is our company's port of entry... therefore, i am always there... and i simply LOVE the place and it's people.... not to mention the wonderful food.  oh, and i may have failed to mention that i am a shop-a-holic.....

40 minutes ago, nativehoustonion said:

Please stay on the subject.  Dubai is a lot smaller then Houston.  I have been there and you could anything you want.  It is over built and hot as hell so who cares.  Most of the apartments are empty.  Please get over it we know how fantastic Houston is.

^^^ excuse me, dude... I BEG YOUR PARDON!  just who in the hell are you to just drop into a conversation between HAIF members with this form of unacceptable RUDENESS?  i mean really... just who the hell are you??  dubai, uae, just so happens to be one of the most fabulous cities on this planet of ours.  yes, of course it is hot... but then again, what shall one expect of a desert gulf region directly within the middle east.  but then again, this is really not the point right..... your abstract rudeness is!  should you harbor a problem, then i can honestly assure you that you have found the right person to help you solve it.....

is it phase II that is being built between phase I and the hotel derek? 

does anyone know when they will be closing/knocking down the convenience store and sullivans etc?

is there a time frame announced?

On 5/5/2016 at 4:26 PM, iah77 said:

It might come as surprise to the the Al Tayer Group to see your stories about the Dubai and Abu Dhabi Bloomingdale's.

Seems the Chalhoub Group's "ownership" of the Dubai Bloomingdale's might also perplex the folks at Macy's, Inc. (not Federated Department Stores - they changed their name about 9 years ago... pretty common knowledge), the owners of Bloomingdale's.

Edited by Houston19514

14 hours ago, monarch said:

^^^ excuse me, dude... I BEG YOUR PARDON!  just who in the hell are you to just drop into a conversation between HAIF members with this form of unacceptable RUDENESS?  i mean really... just who the hell are you??  dubai, uae, just so happens to be one of the most fabulous cities on this planet of ours.  yes, of course it is hot... but then again, what shall one expect of a desert gulf region directly within the middle east.  but then again, this is really not the point right..... your abstract rudeness is!  should you harbor a problem, then i can honestly assure you that you have found the right person to help you solve it.....

I'm sorry did not mean to be rude.  You are the one using profanity.  Dubai has nothing to do with ROD.  Start a new subject.

• Like 1

CigOogvUkAAFYp2.jpg

^^^ to those of you that are cigar connoisseurs, please take a look at the walk-in humidor at 

DAVIDOFF OF GENEVA at ROD.  although, i am a non-smoker, i would have to admit that this place

seems quite special indeed.... wow!

Edited by monarch
  • Like 2

On 5/6/2016 at 9:28 AM, gene said:

is it phase II that is being built between phase I and the hotel derek? 

does anyone know when they will be closing/knocking down the convenience store and sullivans etc?

is there a time frame announced?

anyone know? :)

I don't, Gene, but I'm guessing it will not happen until O-M has two deals under contract: a hotel (or hotel/condo combo) operator and an anchor tenant for their office building.  The only possible exception to that might be that they would start building entirely on speculation that the Houston economy will be booming within 24 months. imho

I'm excited about the possibility raised herein that Target will eventually move into a redevelopment of their land in which they install one of their new 'multi-story urban prototypes' like in NYC and DC.  I too would be unhappy if they instead someday choose to just sell out and leave this submarket.

ROD is shaping up quite nicely, and I cannot wait for all the restaurants to eventually be open!!

• Like 1