River Oaks District: Mixed-Use Development At 4444 Westheimer Rd. & 4702 Westheimer Rd.

19 minutes ago, LBC2HTX said:

Images of the completed interior of MAD. 

https://www.papercitymag.com/home-design/mad-restaurant-houston-river-oaks-striking-design-rosa-violan/#216511

After much delay, they did not disappoint on the interior.  

Yeah and i LOVE that mural on the outside of the building (shown in that slide show)...drove by there the other day just to see it and it's so awesome!

• Like 2

On 6/23/2019 at 7:26 PM, Timoric said:

Would you vote living near this as the best spot in the city to live?

I would definitely put it near the top. I live near the old river oaks shopping center which I would put near the top also. I looked near ROD when buying my house and the prices were very high per sf. I could have bought there but the house wasn’t quite as nice for the same money. I’m not sure I made the right decision. There’s a premium to live near ROD. I would not pay more than $2mil for anything in the Houston area if it’s not within official River Oaks though. No matter what, real River Oaks is always the top.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For now they are saying that none of the theater goers will be affected in any way and closing is not on the horizon. I guess we shall see... 

I go to iPic for "special event" movies or ones that i want to make sure no one talks during the movies etc as i find that iPic usually has the most respectful moviegoers ever...

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

New tenants:

Moreau Paris

Zadig + Voltaire

Zimmeermann

Chopard has vacated, and The Avant Garden (florist) bowed out from its corner space across from Toulouse. Unsurprisingly, the test-store didn't pan out. 

https://www.riveroaksdistrict.com/map

The always-empty East Hampton must be getting a sweetheart deal from ROD. I'm surprised they're still around given how fast they exited their montrose location.

Edited by LBC2HTX
  • Like 6

I walk through ROD almost every day and I see more empty storefronts now.  Which I expected.  I want the project to succeed, but i think the path forward is more difficult than it would have been if the original developers had brought it to market earlier without scaling it back as they did.  

I am not privy to how the various business are doing, but it's obvious that some of the restaurants are drawing almost all the customer traffic.  The high-end clothing and jewelry shops always look empty.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/6/2019 at 1:17 PM, gene said:

For now they are saying that none of the theater goers will be affected in any way and closing is not on the horizon. I guess we shall see... 

I go to iPic for "special event" movies or ones that i want to make sure no one talks during the movies etc as i find that iPic usually has the most respectful moviegoers ever...

I know this is a bit of a tangent, but do you have any recommendations regarding ipic?  Premium or Premium Plus seating, best foods, etc?

• Like 2

nike-town.svg

nike-violet.png

^^^ god knows that i love ROD!  however, this magnificent place of great shopping and leisure.. desperately needs to start bringing in more BLACK HOUSTONIANS, as well as TEENAGERS!  this is a huge and all-important aspect of commerce, that is glaringly missing at the ROD.  as a black american male myself, i would have to state in all honesty, that this place caters overall... to the wealthy... white... and privileged.  there are many many many  black houstonians, that simply do not even know that this brilliant shopping/eating mecca even exist.  whenever, i mention it to them, they look at me as if i am dreaming.  whenever, i decide to prove it to them by either pointing the ROD out to them via the internet... or just taking my pals there myself... THEY ALWAYS SEEM COMPLETELY SHOCKED!  NIKE would do well to open houston's first NIKETOWN here at ROD.  this particular endeavor would instantly bring-in the TEENAGERS with a lot of dollars to spend.  teens love NIKETOWN!  ROD would do well, to bring forth retail that caters more to upward teens/young adults.  upon my most personal view, ROD, is simply a gorgeous and amazing fete of commerce for houston.  however, there is an urgent need for it to become a

lot more marketable to ALL OF THE CITIZENS HOUSTON.  they simply have no choice...     

• Like 6

6 hours ago, monarch said:

^^^ god knows that i love ROD!  however, this magnificent place of great shopping and leisure.. desperately needs to start bringing in more BLACK HOUSTONIANS, as well as TEENAGERS!  this is a huge and all-important aspect of commerce, that is glaringly missing at the ROD.  as a black american male myself, i would have to state in all honesty, that this place caters overall... to the wealthy... white... and privileged.  there are many many many  black houstonians, that simply do not even know that this brilliant shopping/eating mecca even exist.  whenever, i mention it to them, they look at me as if i am dreaming.  whenever, i decide to prove it to them by either pointing the ROD out to them via the internet... or just taking my pals there myself... THEY ALWAYS SEEM COMPLETELY SHOCKED!  NIKE would do well to open houston's first NIKETOWN here at ROD.  this particular endeavor would instantly bring-in the TEENAGERS with a lot of dollars to spend.  teens love NIKETOWN!  ROD would do well, to bring forth retail that caters more to upward teens/young adults.  upon my most personal view, ROD, is simply a gorgeous and amazing fete of commerce for houston.  however, there is an urgent need for it to become a

lot more marketable to ALL OF THE CITIZENS HOUSTON.  they simply have no choice...     

Monarch what exactly is holding anyone from visiting/shopping/dining? I've been to ROD a few times and have seen a good mix in Hermes and IPIC. Honestly haven't been anywhere else in ROD. I'm definitely not the clientele they're catering too but Hermes has a scent that deserves spending money on for special gifts.

As for teenagers, they can all invade the Galleria as they already have. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, august948 said:

I know this is a bit of a tangent, but do you have any recommendations regarding ipic?  Premium or Premium Plus seating, best foods, etc?

You have to do Premium Plus as these are the full recline pod seats...the Premium seats are the first few rows of the theater and for me these seats are too close to the screen...plus they only recline a bit and you do not get waiter service (but instead order from a food/beverage counter in the lobby)

I go to movies with both friends and alone and we go not to be together but to watch a movie when with friends so we do not mind the pod seating (which is arranged by 2s...) but also don't mind this type of seating when going alone as there is a table divider between the 2 seats and the pod is not so enclosed that you feel as if you are on a romantic date with a stranger (well hey, unless you hit it off i guess haha!)...

the waiter service is awesome and the waiter service doesn't take away from the movie in my opinion...

i always get the warm cheddar drop biscuits with maple butter...omg so darn good...

their buttermilk fried chicken with bacon maple syrup and sriracha is really good too!

i have never had a friend really complain about the food so that might say something...it may not be THE finest dining but it's better than any other movie theater out there.

The Tuck Room bar/restaurant is really nice too and i like the atmosphere and food quite a bit (as it is generally the same menu as the theater with a few additions)!

• Like 3