Trae

River Oaks District - Retail/Office/Residential project - Westheimer @ Westcreek

DNAguy    332

I can tell it's for wealthys because from photos of the interior I'm not completely sure what they even sell. Is it... jewelry? I guess?

"If you have to ask big man, you can't afford it."

]

Edited by DNAguy

mkultra25    559

^^^ the VC&A boutique in the galleria is located inside of neiman marcus.  the ROD locale is their first free-standing boutique...

Has that always been the case? I could've sworn they used to have a separate storefront in the mall. Perhaps it was relocated inside Neiman's at some point?

monarch    2,917

Has that always been the case? I could've sworn they used to have a separate storefront in the mall. Perhaps it was relocated inside Neiman's at some point?

^^^ as per my direct knowledge, VC&A has never had a free-standing retail edifice located anywhere within the city of houston.  ROD shall be the first...

Urbannizer    32,800

Injuction Favors iPic in Movie Licensing Dispute

A movie theater chain suing Regal Entertainment Group for allegedly pressuring studios to restrict its access to major releases has won an early round in a Harris County legal battle.

A judge last week ruled for iPic Entertainment, which operates 13 luxury theaters nationwide, including one that opened in Houston two months ago. IPic had requested a temporary injunction against Regal's "anti-competitve and unlawful conduct" ahead of an Oct. 3 trial date. The lawsuit alleges that Regal encourages studios to deny licenses to iPic to show recent releases for fear those movies won't be shown on Regal's broader network of theaters.

Before the injunction, Florida-based iPic had received licensing to show only three of the 10 most popular movies at the Houston location in early 2016, said Paul Yetter of Houston-based Yetter Coleman, which is representing iPic.

"The court's order will change that entirely," he said, adding that iPic is now working with studios to get more access.

• Like 4

skwatra    361

I like the style, but the color choices are poor. The plain backsplash and white cabinet doors blend in to the walls too much. The lower cabinet doors appear to be the same color as the flooring. No contrast at all. I'm hoping that the photo was taken with very low exposure and its really not that bleak lighting wise. It really reminds me of a condo I owned that was built in 2008 which I loved, and had much better color choices IMO:

IMG_5467.JPG

• Like 1

Naviguessor    1,354

THIS...has become the definition of "Luxury". 

Knock Knock. 

Welcome...won't you come into my Kitchen.  The Laundry is right here.  Convenient...right? 

What?  Why, yes.  It is laminate flooring.  Thank you for noticing.   

Sure you can.  The bathroom is right there off the kitchen.  

• Like 5

cspwal    2,025

Yeah it doesn't even compare to the house that was HBJ's sponsor today - 4 story townhouse in the museum district with a pneumatic tube elevator through the center of a spiral staircase

• Like 1

jmitch94    837

Let me first say I like this development, but the other day I went through (in my truck) to check it out for the first time and boy did I feel out of place. I seriously felt uncomfortable how rich this place is. Very nice though. 

• Like 1

CrockpotandGravel    4,261

From Houston Business Journal

Sneak Peek: Inside the luxury apartments at River Oaks District

OliverMcMillan has begun leasing luxury apartments inside the River Oaks District.

The San Diego-based developer is nearing completion on Grey House, a midrise apartment project inside the River Oaks District high-end retail center located at 4444 Westheimer Rd., at the nexus of the Galleria/Uptown area.

Grey House consists of two buildings, each five stories tall with retail, apartment leasing office and amenities on the ground floor; a residents-only parking garage on the second floor; and 279 apartment units spread throughout the top three floors.

The apartment’s entryway features a large covered overhang, inspired by entrances to high-rise condominium buildings in New York City. Inside, the architecture fuses traditional design elements, such as a grand staircase and mail room, with a modern aesthetic that relies heavily on industrial materials such as wood, steel and brass. Walls throughout the buildings are adorned with 500 pieces of art, as well as French wallpaper.

Grey House was designed to fit in with River Oaks District’s varied streetscape of ultra-luxury shops, fine restaurants and upscale iPic movie theater.

A 27/7 concierge desk connects residents with a myriad of services, which include the usual accepting of packages and dry cleaning, but also securing a spot in a fitness class at the nearby Equinox, setting up a private shopping appointment at the neighboring Tom Ford store, and reserving a table at Toulouse, a French cafe and bistro around the corner.

“We want our residents to feel like they’re in a five or six-star hotel, feeling luxurious and welcomed,” said Colin Moussa, OliverMcMillan’s marketing director. “It’s all about the amenities and the unique concierge experience.”

The apartments range in size from between 817 square feet and 1,696 square feet and in rent from between $2,250 per month and $5,800 per month. The units feature hardwood floors and doors, two-tone wood and poliform cabinets, glass-top ranges and stainless-steel appliances, oversized closets and balconies overlooking the River Oaks District.

Building amenities include a TV lounge, a larger movie studio with an 85-inch screen, a conference room and a fitness center with Matrix equipment, a kickboxing machine and yoga studio. A courtyard with a resort-style pool and barbecue grills also are nestled within each apartment building.

Grey House opened its leasing office and model units on Feb. 1, and is expected to welcome its first residents in March. The entire project is expected to be completed by May.

OliverMcMillan celebrated the grand opening of River Oaks District's first phase in October. The developer is planning the second phase of the mixed-use development, which will include a hotel and more apartments and offices.

• Like 1

Timoric    870

Pictures of Grey House at River Oaks District from Houston Business Journal:

Cy7wYD5.jpg

2DxBakK.jpg

bYun0Cz.jpg

9OIeZLG.jpg

4ayKcco.jpg

a0jgB7l.jpg

U2496SN.jpg

wUbqgeW.jpg

j3ZMskW.jpg

IXHE2Oc.jpg

I could be way off but...Is this late 1970s interior design revival? I feel like I have seen this before in the mists of time. 

Edited by Timoric
  • Like 1

samagon    2,144

I could be way off but...Is this late 1970s interior design revival? I feel like I have seen this before in the mists of time. 

The Shining.

in the hallway picture, I was half expecting to see some twins at the end of the hall. walls are the wrong color, but something about it evoked that to the front of my mind.

KzpLGUM.jpg

• Like 2

Montrose1100    2,723

Houndstooth?

I get what they are going for and can appreciate something different but the style seems cheapened by the materials and details.

Had the Loofah light shades been those annoying plastic petals you see everywhere it would have been too obvious. I feel like this is a step above that, but hey what's one step better than McDonald's? Chili's.

• Like 2

monarch    2,917

Shower-Beer-Word-Cloud-Shadow.png

^^^ crockpotandgravel... my pal, what an OUTSTANDING piece of work you have achieved with your contribution to the magnificent new GREY HOUSE at ROD.

simply brilliant!

• Like 1

From Houston Chronicle:

Take a look inside Grey House, River Oaks District's new luxury apartments

The Grey House apartments opened for leasing this week with some of the highest rents in the city.

A one-bedroom apartment in the newly opened complex at River Oaks District starts at $2,250. A two-bedroom goes for $3,340, and a three-bedroom -- there are only three -- starts at $5,700.

The property is opening at a time when Houston is being flooded with thousands of new units.

One analyst recently compared the local multifamily market to the office market of the 1980s when an massive economic crash resulting from low prices left developers with vacant towers across the city.

Some landlords are offering two-month rental concessions and waiving security deposits as they anticipate a slower year ahead. Grey House is offering a one month concession.

"We're really focused on maintaining the integrity of what we've built," said marketing director Colin Moussa. "This product is very unique ... The customer really sees the value of living here."

Located at 4444 Westheimer within the same development as luxury boutiques, soon-to-open restaurants and a plush new cinema, Grey House residents will have access to a concierge, two screening rooms, a 2,000-square-foot fitness center with a separate yoga room and two lap pools.

The property -- which was named after the gray buildings and bungalows surrounding the campus of the Menil Collection -- has 279 apartments. The first tenants will move in next month.

The stairway in Grey House, Houston's newest luxury apartment complex, 4444 Westheimer Road, Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2016, in Houston. The property is within the mixed-use River Oaks District development near the Galleria.

lqX3ZNG.jpg

Detail shot of the staircase in the Grey House, Houston's newest luxury apartment complex, 4444 Westheimer Road, Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2016, in Houston. The property is within the mixed-use River Oaks District development near the Galleria.

gVaB7hQ.jpg

The Grey House, Houston's newest luxury apartment complex is above Tom Ford, 4444 Westheimer Road, Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2016, in Houston. The property is within the mixed-use River Oaks District development near the Galleria. Photo: Steve Gonzales

OySUFNj.jpg

The entry way to the Grey House, Houston's newest luxury apartment complex, 4444 Westheimer Road, Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2016, in Houston. The property is within the mixed-use River Oaks District development near the Galleria.

YregyUE.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 3

From Houston Chronicle:

Grey House apartments are at home with their stylish neighbors

When residents look out onto the tree-lined streets from their new apartments at River Oaks District, their views will be one of a kind in Houston: Tom Ford, Dolce & Gabbana and other European boutiques in the upper echelon of high fashion

From their balconies, residents will also see diners eating French pastries and sipping espresso at sidewalk cafes and shoppers toting bags of designer wares from Cartier, Hermes or Stella McCartney.

"The design is meant to capture what buildings in New York, Paris or Rome would offer," said Colin Moussa, director of marketing for River Oaks District, the multiblock, mixed-use development modeled after an upscale neighborhood in a place like Manhattan or Milan.

The apartment component of the project - Grey House - opened for leasing last week.

One-bedrooms units, which range from 815 to 1,200 square feet, start at $2,250 per month. Two-bedrooms start at $3,340 and three-bedrooms, of which there are only three, start at $5,700.

In all, 279 units are split between two five-story buildings on the west side of the 15-acre River Oaks District development.

The high-end rentals are expected to attract young professionals, foreign nationals, transplants from big U.S. cities and baby boomers moving in from the suburbs.

But its opening is unfortunately timed, coinciding with a downturn in Houston's economy. Moreover, the city is being flooded with thousands of new upscale apartment complexes that broke ground when oil was trading for $100 a barrel.

One local economist recently compared the multifamily market with the office market of the 1980s-era oil bust, when empty towers littered the city.

Some landlords have started offering two months of free rent and are waiving security deposits. Grey House is offering a one-month concession.

"We're really focused on maintaining the integrity of what we've built," Moussa said. "This product is very unique. ... The customer really sees the value of living here."

Residents at Grey House, 4444 Westheimer, will have access to a concierge, two screening rooms and a 2,000-square-foot fitness center with a separate yoga room. The buildings will each have an outdoor deck with a lap pool, fireplace, hot tub and several grills. "Pool butlers" will serve sunbathers from the restaurants downstairs.

The common areas of Grey House were designed by Jules Wilson, an interior designer based in San Diego, which is the home of the developer of River Oaks District, OliverMcMillan. The architect of the apartments was Pappageorge Haymes Partners out of Chicago.

"It's reminiscent of a really cool hotel," Moussa said last week as he walked down a hallway lined with designer wallpaper under intentionally dim lights.

The units have solid oak doors, quartz counter tops, European cabinets and engineered wood and tile flooring.

"Not an ounce of carpet is found in any of these apartments," Moussa said.

The walls have plenty of space for art, a theme that runs throughout the property. Grey House takes its name from the gray bungalows and buildings surrounding the prominent Menil Collection a few miles to the east.

"When our entire executive team would come down, their gathering grounds would always be the Rothko Chapel and the Menil," Moussa said. "There was this great inspiration that came from the Menil when they were designing the space."