River Oaks District: Mixed-Use Development At 4444 Westheimer Rd.

On 2/9/2018 at 9:17 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Another restaurant opening this year at River Oaks District.

From Eater Houston:

The minds behind BCN Taste & Tradition, Houston’s finest Spanish eatery, are planning to open a brand new restaurant that will focus on pinxtos in the River Oaks District.

Sebastian Laval, the general manager of the forthcoming restaurant, tells Eater that it will be called MAD. “It’s the airport code for Madrid,” Laval says. “It’s also a play on the word “mad” as in mad-crazy, because we want the experience to be intensely good,” he explains. The restaurant will set up shop at 4444 Westheimer Road, in the space that was formerly going to be occupied by Arizona-based restaurant Sumomaya, which quietly squashed its plans to open in River Oaks.

“We are going to be serving Spanish small bites and finger foods inspired by the tradition of the pinxtos,” says Laval. “Pinxto means ‘something that is supposed to be stabbed with a toothpick,’ but it’s evolved so that now it’s more finger foods and small plates. We’ll be taking the pinxto tradition and being creative with it. There will also be large plates to share,” he says. Inspiration for the upcoming restaurant was gathered over weeks of intense travel to Spain, during which Laval, accompanied by owners Ignacio Torras and chef/owner Luis Roger, visited more than 40 restaurants in cities across Italy.

When it opens, MAD will offer lunch, brunch, dinner and late night service. The beverage program will consist of beer, wine and creative cocktails.

“We’re not re-creating. It’s inspired. It’s not going to be too regional. It’s a combination of things. We’re not re-doing proper traditional food from a region. It’s going to be food that’s inspired from our trip to Spain.” And, he says, “We want it to be really fun.”

MAD is expected to debut in River Oaks before the end of 2018.

https://houston.eater.com/2018/2/9/16993288/bcn-taste-tradition-expanding-mad-madrid

So I know they’re supposed to be opening their new concept “MAD”, but signs on the storefront say “coming soon BCN Taste & Tradition”... Wonder if they changed their mind. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LBC2HTX said:

So I know they’re supposed to be opening their new concept “MAD”, but signs on the storefront say “coming soon BCN Taste & Tradition”... Wonder if they changed their mind. 

I wonder if they might move BCN to River Oaks District, and open MAD in the current BCN space.

Given the other restaurant tenants in ROD, BCN might be more of a match, whereas MAD could serve as a useful neighborhood restaurant in the current BCN space.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Office component for phase II has been given the axe, hotel begins this Fall

http://www.olivermcmillan.com/places/projects/49/river_oaks_district_phase_ii

So those are the renderings of the condos / apartment homes, right? Do we have an updated rendering of the hotel? 

The latest rendering for the hotel I could find:

rod_phase-2_11920x1080.jpg

Edited by AREJAY
  • Like 4

There had been talk of a luxury boutique hotel on the empty lot north of ROD, across Bettis.  If the hotel mentioned above is in the property to the west, formerly occupied by Sullivan's and Le Peep, I suppose it might preempt the other one.  I also agree that it will be great to see the old convenience store and nail salon building go away. 

Edited by ArchFan
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, ArchFan said:

There had been talk of a luxury boutique hotel on the empty lot north of ROD, across Bettis.  If the hotel mentioned above is in the property to the west, formerly occupied by Sullivan's and Le Peep, I suppose it might preempt the other one.  I also agree that it will be great to see the old convenience store and nail salon building go away. 

Yes, there was/is a hotel proposed for the corner lot next to the Wilshire. The Equinox hotel, is the proposed hotel going in adjacent to ROD Phase II. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/06-14-18-taverna-pizzeria-and-risotteria-closed-river-oaks-district/

With all that in mind, don't expect the Taverna space to remain vacant for long. Two CultureMap sources claim that the property already has a new owner that's planning a new concept that could open in the later summer or early fall. Expect more details on that as soon as they're available.

Not surprised that Taverna closed. My guess is a sushi spot opens in its place. 

48 minutes ago, Timoric said:

Is leasing over 90 percent in the center?

I'd say no. 

There's available space between Steak48 and Bisou;

between Kiton and Roller Rabbit;

two spaces between Baanou and Theory;

the corner space where the Cavo pop-up was; and

the Malia Mills space is a temporary pop-up. 

Edited by LBC2HTX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2018 at 9:17 AM, gene said:

The most exciting news about all of this is possibly the fact that the run down convenience store will finally be torn down haha! I wonder how soon that will happen!? :o:lol:

@gene, I assume this is the convenience store? Looks like it's closed on a Saturday afternoon.  Wonder if the company shut down or they closed for the afternoon.

rrvpjHT.jpg

On 7/14/2018 at 4:32 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

@gene, I assume this is the convenience store? Looks like it's closed on a Saturday afternoon.  Wonder if the company shut down or they closed for the afternoon.

rrvpjHT.jpg

You are giving me soooooooo much hope ekdrm2d1 haha!!! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...