River Oaks District: Mixed-Use Development At 4444 Westheimer Rd. & 4702 Westheimer Rd.

On 8/24/2016 at 9:11 AM, Urbannizer said:

Paris-based Amorino plans to open its first Houston location Aug. 25,CultureMap reports. The dessert-focused concept will serve gelato, sorbet and expresso drinks before adding crepes and waffles at a later point.

Franchise owner Nathalie Debbouzzi told CultureMap that she moved with her husband, Sebastien, from Paris to Houston to set up the gelato shop. She said she's looking to expand the concept to other spots around Houston like The Woodlands or the Memorial area. Amorino boasts locations across the world with about nine spots in the U.S., per its website.

You know you're in the majors as a city when someone is living in Paris and says to themselves "You know what, I've had enough of the city of light.  I'm moving to Houston."

• Like 2

haha went last night to Amorino and met the owner Sebastien last night...he was super cool! loved the lemon gelato and the organic french citrus blend gelato...the flavors were just so bright (and my friend had the custard and black cherry gelato...wow that was good as well!) I will say that maybe because it was the first day, the "flower" cone scoops werent as beautiful as the professional photos on the site and in the store but i bet they will get better in time! :D It was super good stuff and cant wait to go back...also i heard the girl mention at the register that come fall they will be serving breakfast there! (?) ...really liking this development more and more...last night the entire place was buzzing with all restaurants busy and people walking around shopping and/or window shopping (it was approx 730pm)... we ate at Hopdoddy (no waiting in line as there were 2 spots at the bar) and then went to Amorino...then went up to iPic/The Tuck Room for a drink (my friend had one...i am the perpetual DD! and btw, even with the price, iPic is by far my favorite theater in Houston and go often)...it was a great night at ROD! 

Edited by gene
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a bit underwhelmed by the ROD. Everything in it is way too overpriced. Even down the street in Highland Village I can get P.F. Changs during lunch once in a while, and occasionally save up for a $4 cupcake.. ROD almost seems to be just for rich folks from out of town.. hey maybe that's they're target demographic. I dunno.

On 9/5/2016 at 2:13 AM, SpaceGhost said:

I've been a bit underwhelmed by the ROD. Everything in it is way too overpriced. Even down the street in Highland Village I can get P.F. Changs during lunch once in a while, and occasionally save up for a $4 cupcake.. ROD almost seems to be just for rich folks from out of town.. hey maybe that's they're target demographic. I dunno.

yep that is obviously their target since the shops in this development also target that demographic...

so it makes sense...

however, yes, because of that i am a frequent visitor to Hopdoddy, Amorino and iPic but that is about it haha! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Totally shocked but De Boulle was basically totally destroyed today and the store looted. Houston never seems to surprise these days... Stuff like this doesn't even happen in places like Mexico City or Sao Paulo anymore. Really hope does not harm future investment in the project or Houston.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/09-14-16-with-guns-hammers-theives-empty-river-oaks-district-jewelry-store-in-broad-daylight-video/#slide=0

• Like 1

OR how about we hold our clown of a mayor and police accountable?:) 

Don't act like this is an isolated event, crime is getting really out of control in Houston. Seems no day goes by without seeing a car with broken glass from a break-in or a house nearby getting robbed. I  even had plants stolen from my garden lol...

I agree that against criminals, defensive measures are insufficient and that consistent rigorous actions must be applied , but nevertheless here in the States we make it too easy to rob banks. I am not blaming the banks or the business owners for the criminal activity of others.  But when vicious wolves are freely roaming you better have both a gun and the windows shut.

I've already deleted another comment that was posted after I told everyone to keep it on topic.  Seriously, if you want to discuss crime and politics, there's a place for that on HAIF.  This thread isn't it.  If people insist on going off-topic, then the thread will be closed.

• Like 6

so the question is, when are they knocking down that little 2 story building (with the run down convenience store on the bottom floor) on the corner or westheimer?! That building is so out of place....

anyone know that part of the timeline? :)

On 8/10/2016 at 2:07 PM, DrLan34 said:

-

I'm betting that nothing happens to any of the buildings until they've significantly preleased the office building and /or signed up the major hotel deal they're seeking.  And I'll bet it'll be 'and,' because I've heard a normally reliable source say that Equinox Hotel division is extremely interested in the location for a successor hotel to the one they are building now in LA.  What is interesting to me is the tremendous amount of work that would be involved in getting all those easements going through the currently surveyed site plan moved!  Gotta  move em to even come close to building the necessary footprint that OM has planned.  

Love the gelato place, too.  Pumped about going to see Magnificent Seven at the iPic this weekend, and I'm curious to see how it compares to the brilliant original with Yul Brynner and many of Hollywood's all-time stars (McQueen, Eli Wallach, Jim Coburn, Bronson, and Robt Vaughn).  If you have never seen the original, do.  I don't know how one does that, but it's a great classic film that I discovered on TV reruns years later.  Hope it's better than the remake of Ben Hur, about which I heard so many bad reviews I decided to catch it on cable later.

• Like 2

Since the jewelry-store heist earlier in September, RoD seems to have hired more security guards.  I've walked there several times and they are quite visible.  Another good thing is that they look very professional.  Didn't think to notice whether they're armed, but I think their visibility should help deter crooks in the future. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...