River Oaks District: Mixed-Use Development At 4444 Westheimer Rd.

Hopdoddy is overrated. Ya the burgers are pretty good but they're definitely no better than bernies and definitely not better than lankford. Every time I see a line 100 people deep at the south congress location I'm reminded at how much austonians buy into their own BS.

Edited by Urbannizer
Moved last sentence regarding Waldorf to correct topic
  • Like 4

Had to report the security used at River Oaks District for profiling me today!   I went and parked in public garage and as soon as i got out of car a security person asked me where i was going.  I told him i was going to Cartier and he asked if i was buying something"  I told him if i saw something i wanted i would make the decision then.  He then said not to take it personal because his boss asked him to come and say that to me.      I went in and looked around and talked to some of the employees and came out and the same guy came to me and said..."could you do me a favor and park on the 3rd level of the garage next time"   I asked him why and he said his boss said that "the first level was for customers and employees"   I told him again was a customer and he said his boss probably did not like my jeans, hcc t-shirt and loafers......(all new)   I then told him i been to gas lamp district in san diego and buckhead atlanta in atlanta and never been treated in such a way.   so i called the company and reported the company, and then called oliver mcmillan and reported to them and the project manager called me back and said he would handle the security company and keep apologizing.   and i never mentioned i was black and very educated.  He also gave me his direct number and said he would give me a personal tour of River Oaks district.   

I had to report this so it would  not happen to anyone else hopefully.

PS.  no cars were on the 3rd level

Good for you!  No one should have to put up with that BS...

• Like 1

Thanks!   I forgot to mention as i pulled in to park a white lady pulled right next to me and we both got out of our cars at the same time and she was never spoken to.  ( not to make a race issue of the matter, but it is what it is )

I also saw her in looking around as i was doing!

btw! The security inside Cartier (different security company)  said that part of iPic was above the store.

• Like 2

Had to report the security used at River Oaks District for profiling me today!   I went and parked in public garage and as soon as i got out of car a security person asked me where i was going.  I told him i was going to Cartier and he asked if i was buying something"  I told him if i saw something i wanted i would make the decision then.  He then said not to take it personal because his boss asked him to come and say that to me.      I went in and looked around and talked to some of the employees and came out and the same guy came to me and said..."could you do me a favor and park on the 3rd level of the garage next time"   I asked him why and he said his boss said that "the first level was for customers and employees"   I told him again was a customer and he said his boss probably did not like my jeans, hcc t-shirt and loafers......(all new)   I then told him i been to gas lamp district in san diego and buckhead atlanta in atlanta and never been treated in such a way.   so i called the company and reported the company, and then called oliver mcmillan and reported to them and the project manager called me back and said he would handle the security company and keep apologizing.   and i never mentioned i was black and very educated.  He also gave me his direct number and said he would give me a personal tour of River Oaks district.   

^^^ much obliged to you USCATS35, for exhibiting the courage and fortitude to bringing such a stunning and humiliating experience to light.  i am most certain that by now, EVERY HAIFER, is keenly aware of just how much i love and am patiently awaiting the official grand opening of this GLAMOROUS / MAGNIFICENT ROD development.

however, from one black american to another, if this has happened to me, i would soon be owning a small stake within OLIVER MCMILLAN!  i simply cannot imagine being so openly and blatantly humiliated, in such a profound and shocking fashion... at such a prestigious retail development.  it would certainly / literally take DAYS for me to calm down from such an episode.    (you are a much better man than i am... for sure)

i want you to go ahead an take your personal tour of this most gorgeous development.  YOU DESERVE THIS!  keep you head up, and thank you again for enlightening your fellow HAIFERS upon such a stunning episode.  if i have stated it once, i shall state it again... KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

Edited by monarch
  • Like 3

^^^ much obliged to you USCATS35, for exhibiting the courage and fortitude to bringing such a stunning and humiliating experience to light. i am most certain that by now, EVERY HAIFER, is keenly aware of just how much i love and am patiently awaiting the official grand opening of this GLAMOROUS / MAGNIFICENT ROD development.

however, from one black american to another, if this has happened to me, i would soon be owning a small stake within OLIVER MCMILLAN! i simply cannot imagine being so openly and blatantly humiliated, in such a profound and shocking fashion... at such a prestigious retail development. it would certainly / literally take DAYS for me to calm down from such an episode. (you are a much better man than i am... for sure)

i want you to go ahead an take your personal tour of this most gorgeous development. YOU DESERVE THIS! keep you head up, and thank you again for enlightening your fellow HAIFERS upon such a stunning episode. if i have stated it once, i shall state it again... KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

I've got to adjust my mental image of you now ;)

• Like 8

Had to report the security used at River Oaks District for profiling me today! I went and parked in public garage and as soon as i got out of car a security person asked me where i was going. I told him i was going to Cartier and he asked if i was buying something" I told him if i saw something i wanted i would make the decision then. He then said not to take it personal because his boss asked him to come and say that to me. I went in and looked around and talked to some of the employees and came out and the same guy came to me and said..."could you do me a favor and park on the 3rd level of the garage next time" I asked him why and he said his boss said that "the first level was for customers and employees" I told him again was a customer and he said his boss probably did not like my jeans, hcc t-shirt and loafers......(all new) I then told him i been to gas lamp district in san diego and buckhead atlanta in atlanta and never been treated in such a way. so i called the company and reported the company, and then called oliver mcmillan and reported to them and the project manager called me back and said he would handle the security company and keep apologizing. and i never mentioned i was black and very educated. He also gave me his direct number and said he would give me a personal tour of River Oaks district.

I had to report this so it would not happen to anyone else hopefully.

PS. no cars were on the 3rd level

Damn, and here I thought Houston wasn't as racist as other cities (especially in the South), but at the same time this is a development devoted to the 1% so I'm not surprised.

Sorry that happened to you man. As a middle class white guy I can honestly say I have no idea what that feels like, but it's still a shame that kinda crap still happens.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the encouraging support!  I know it was only one person that needs help in that situation and it does not reflect as the  for everyone working there. It was maybe the 3rd time in 50 years i personally had someone act in such a manner, so i responded and moved it in the past.  This will really be a wonderful destination for all in houston, as well as visitors near and far.  I can say that after watching how it opened and became a destination in atlanta, ga, I moved to houston 3 months ago from atlanta.  I really liked shake shack's shakes and hope the hop doddy they are putting here instead has milkshakes just as good.................   so anyway  i am sure i will be walking around there and seeing many of you on this site.

• Like 4

Had to report the security used at River Oaks District for profiling me today! I went and parked in public garage and as soon as i got out of car a security person asked me where i was going. I told him i was going to Cartier and he asked if i was buying something" I told him if i saw something i wanted i would make the decision then. He then said not to take it personal because his boss asked him to come and say that to me. I went in and looked around and talked to some of the employees and came out and the same guy came to me and said..."could you do me a favor and park on the 3rd level of the garage next time" I asked him why and he said his boss said that "the first level was for customers and employees" I told him again was a customer and he said his boss probably did not like my jeans, hcc t-shirt and loafers......(all new) I then told him i been to gas lamp district in san diego and buckhead atlanta in atlanta and never been treated in such a way. so i called the company and reported the company, and then called oliver mcmillan and reported to them and the project manager called me back and said he would handle the security company and keep apologizing. and i never mentioned i was black and very educated. He also gave me his direct number and said he would give me a personal tour of River Oaks district.

I had to report this so it would not happen to anyone else hopefully.

PS. no cars were on the 3rd level

Sigh......I guess we know where the bouncers who got fired from Gaslamp in Midtown ended up working at.....
  • Like 7

im vanilla as you can see from my pic but i love everyone and i better see all of you at the iPic!!!  :)  and omg so it IS above Cartier?!?! that is probably the same security guard that lied to me about their location!!!! doh!!! 

Unfortunately we still have bigotry in this country, but hopefully this will turn some heads and the security guards boss will

be reprimanded. That is just blatant profiling and in a city as diverse as Houston, shouldn't be happening.

You were right to take a stand and thankfully Oliver McMillan handled it properly.

• Like 5

I'm sorry this happened to you :-(.  I am glad you were able to get a response from management. 

• Like 2