Zoning

Will Houston ever pass a zoning ordinance? Is it too late? What would it take to get the zoning ball rolling again?

Even Peter Brown has publicly stated that he doesn't favor zoning. The fact is that most forward-thinking planners--even the ones that think they're the living embodiment of God sent to earth to control every aspect of everybody else's lives--accept that there is a better way.

Even Peter Brown has publicly stated that he doesn't favor zoning. The fact is that most forward-thinking planners--even the ones that think they're the living embodiment of God sent to earth to control every aspect of everybody else's lives--accept that there is a better way.

I thought I just read an article that said there are a couple different places looking to make laws similar to ours. I don't remember if it was posted on HAIF or if I just found it.

As Houston gets bigger and more dense (yes, even Houston is increasing in density), there may be more who believe zoning is needed. However, at the same time, there is growing evidence that problems can be addressed without actual zoning. Changing outdated and counter=productive setback and parking ordinances can solve many of the issues that some people think only zoning can address. There is a constant tug and pull by those that support and oppose zoning, but over time, the tug and pull comes from different directions. In the 30 years I have lived in Houston, I cannot say that there is any more support...or justification...for traditional zoning now than then. There may be support for attempts to address issues in a less oppressive manner than outright zoning, but not more support for zoning itself, IMO.

• 6 months later...

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/119283

Mesa could learn a lot from Houston

Houston grows because businesses can flourish there with little interference by government. If you and I wanted to begin a construction project of winding, tree-lined streets and comfortable homes, we could walk into the building permit section, acquire our permits and begin construction today

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/119283

Mesa could learn a lot from Houston

When it's put like that, wow, it makes doing business in Houston look great and sensible!

Not too long ago, on a different thread, I posted an excerpt of the City of Mesa Design Review Board's proceedings to make a point of what I don't want in Houston. Objections to plans were often pretty shallow, such as that the color of the trim on a strip center didn't appeal to them or that there was too much or too little or the wrong kind of ornamentation.

Not too long ago, on a different thread, I posted an excerpt of the City of Mesa Design Review Board's proceedings to make a point of what I don't want in Houston. Objections to plans were often pretty shallow, such as that the color of the trim on a strip center didn't appeal to them or that there was too much or too little or the wrong kind of ornamentation.

I must have missed it, but that's ridiculous. I mean, this is common sense. To me, things like that are unAmerican. It's more like the pursuit of happiness...filtered through government; but I don't ever remember reading the latter part before.

you say this and live in the woodlands?

One, I live with my parents (ain't no shame!), so I didn't choose. Two, we technically live in Conroe. More like Oak Ridge (just east of).

Other than that, explain me the contradition of someone making that statement and living in TW? I admit it went over my head.

restrictive convenants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restrictive_covenant

Ok, I see your point. But it's kind of negated by the fact that I'm not a Woodlands resident or land owner. Although I know our neighborhood does have certain architecutal requirments, house size requirments (no smaller than 2,000 sqf), required sprinkler system.

But at least these requirments are laid out prior to purchasing a house or land. And even so, there's a ton more freedom here than what,for instance, Mesa has. Here there may be rules we have to play by, but there's nobody constantly changing them (I think).

It's like sports. There are rules. Play within the rules and everything is cool. If you're a pitcher, throw submarine style. Going for a layup? Do a dipsy-doodle. Throw a behind the back pass. Scoring a touchdown? Go through or around them. Run or pass it. In Mesa (and other zoned places), it seems as if they're saying...no behind the back passes, I don't like the way you run, I don't like your uniform colors or that knuckleball is too dirty...you can't do that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restrictive_covenant

Ok, I see your point. But it's kind of negated by the fact that I'm not a Woodlands resident or land owner. Although I know our neighborhood does have certain architecutal requirments, house size requirments (no smaller than 2,000 sqf), required sprinkler system.

required sprinkler system? dang. i feel so unamerican. ^_^

required sprinkler system? dang. i feel so unamerican. ^_^

You are HAIFs official Devils Advocate. Editor should replace your 'member' status with that instead.

av-549.jpg

musicman

Group: Official HAIF Devil's Advocate

restrictive convenants.

The Woodlands isn't a government entity.

Restrictive covenants are mutually agreed to by buyer and seller and are typically well-defined legal documents with few matters left open to subjective interpretation. They can be changed, but it typically requires a quorum at a meeting or supermajority of the neighborhood signing a petition, so big sweeping changes are rarely accomplished on a whim.

The Woodlands isn't a government entity.

Restrictive covenants are mutually agreed to by buyer and seller and are typically well-defined legal documents with few matters left open to subjective interpretation. They can be changed, but it typically requires a quorum at a meeting or supermajority of the neighborhood signing a petition, so big sweeping changes are rarely accomplished on a whim.

let me turn on my sprinkler. -_-

similar requirements are mandated by the owner, the buyer has no say in the matter, specifically if they move in after implementation (which is how it is in most neighborhoods).

Archived