Subdivisons That Never Really Became Subdivisions

mblaise

Actually, I hope they hurry up with the renovations to the main library. Frequently, "those with nowhere elese to go" (ahem) wander into the Texas Room wanting to use the computers or just hang out.

I know the library is supposed to be for all people, but the Texas Room is a very specialized part of the library. It's not the place to hang out from the cold reading magazines. Last time I went about two weeks ago, it was really bad. You had to feel for the staff. They try to keep things in line there, but there's only so much you can do.

I know just what you mean. Last time I was there one of the "patrons" was getting very belligerent just because the staff asked him to sign in. He was raising his voice and waving his arms. Things came close to getting out of hand. He didn't think he should have to sign in just to go read a magazine (eventhough they don't really have magazines in there).

I know just what you mean. Last time I was there one of the "patrons" was getting very belligerent just because the staff asked him to sign in. He was raising his voice and waving his arms. Things came close to getting out of hand. He didn't think he should have to sign in just to go read a magazine (eventhough they don't really have mangazines in there).

Was this on a Saturday about two weeks ago? I was there looking at aerial photos when that happened (although I think things like this probably happen too often).

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I have some answers to these questions.

Many of the 25x100 lots were, indeed, sold. Most were bought in response to ads in

National magazines in about 1910-15. The area was platted but never incorporated into a town.

Most owners bought "a little piece of Texas" through mail order and never saw there purchases.

When Forest Pines was platted, homes were built from  South to North and clouded titles

began to appear when individual houses were sold.

The builder then spent over ten years "curing" the title. This included sending agents all over the country

to secure ownership.  The Builder had moved to SW Houston by this time and offered the

remaining lots to My Dad.  We and another builder then finished out Forest Pines in the mid-70s.

The closing documents of each house we built there included a 60+ page copy of the suit filed to clear the title.

The other land between Forest Pines and Bingle may still be in clouded title.

The last I knew (90s) it was still leasehold overseen by a trustee.

In the mid 70s we inquired about it and was told that those wit an interest in it

were so at odds that "They couldn't even agree on a place to argue."

The aerial "above" photo does reflect where construction stopped for about 10 years.

Logic tell me that title continues to be clouded in the area. If you look at an aerial,

there is still lots of underutilized real estate in the area.

Except for Pinemont Park(?) and where we built Forest Pines sec 2.,

most parking lots, structures, etc. can economically be cleared away for "higher and better use".

• 1 month later...

6thgentxn,

Thank you and everyone else for sharing this information. I've driven through this area a hundred times and have wondered how/why the land was never developed as a subdivision. Specifically why Forest Pines was never built out to Bingle.  Home builders were obviously busy in the general area all through the 60s and 70s. Now we know….. The basically failed Rosslyn subdivision left behind a chaotic situation. So I was told just prior to financial crisis that a developer looked into the area and promptly changed his mind.

“Most were bought in response to ads in National magazines in about 1910-15.”  The Panic of 1910-11 and then Recession of 1914-15 may explain the lack of development. Same economic situation that killed off Houstons Southern Motor Car Company in 1910?

Whitesman, That house you mention located on Pinemont built in 1925 I’m guessing would have been on block 42. Somewhere about lots 40-35 facing south on Broom Ave.. BTW, An older neighbor mentioned that “Rosslyn” was a hell whole. lol

The aerial map from 1969 and current satellite maps are interesting. Look closely at the area east of Bingle between Pinemont to the south and W. Tidwell to the north. Notice the existing structures and streets along with tree lines align nicely with early map of the Rosslyn subdivision as planned. Note the two lines of trees running east/west south of Rena. Poppy and Broom avenues? There is a Poppy St. west of Bingle today that also aligns nicely with tree line immediately south of Rena and east of Bingle.

I guess it’s safe to assume the Rosslyn subdivision circa 1910-15 was never much more than a handful of homes at most, surveyor’s stakes and dirt roads? The current Rosslyn Park the NE corner of what I assume was the common ground/park of the Rosslyn subdivision?

Next time I’m in area I’ll go exploring. Carefully go exploring…. It’s an iffy area. ;-)

• 4 years later...

Archived