Hubert Vo Mansion At 31 W. Rivercrest Dr.

jhasit

That house is a disaster. I believe, it was, initially being built for Rep. Vo, but when the budget quickly ran out and then they realized it wasn't worth what was spent on it, it has been a mess trying to get rid of the thing.

I met with an agent that was showing the house privately about a year and a half ago just before I started a project down the street and she eluded that it was initially being offered, still incomplete, for 7.5mm. So far as I know, it is STILL incomplete and has dropped a lot. Eventually, they will have to liquidate it. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a tear down with as hideous as the house is.

Where did the Tx State Rep Hubert Vo get his fortune???

I can't find anything on the web about that, but Wikipedia says he was born in Vietnam and fled "emigrated to the United States with his family to leave the communist government of Vietnam". A Daily Texan article says he emigrated as a teenager, so if he was born in 1956 he had to leave before 1967. I know a lot of the people emigrating at that time were wealthy Vietnamese, so maybe his family was rich?

I can't find anything on the web about that, but Wikipedia says he was born in Vietnam and fled "emigrated to the United States with his family to leave the communist government of Vietnam". A Daily Texan article says he emigrated as a teenager, so if he was born in 1956 he had to leave before 1967. I know a lot of the people emigrating at that time were wealthy Vietnamese, so maybe his family was rich?

He made his fortune in real estate, especially in apartment complexes.

This home has also been discussed in other threads here.

As long as the home has been in MLS (496 days as of today), it has always been listed at $4.7 million. The agent remarks state that the home is about 70% complete and that it will be finished at that price. I imagine that he would be willing to sell it in its current condition as well, just to get rid of it.

This home has also been discussed in other threads here.

As long as the home has been in MLS (496 days as of today), it has always been listed at $4.7 million. The agent remarks state that the home is about 70% complete and that it will be finished at that price. I imagine that he would be willing to sell it in its current condition as well, just to get rid of it.

The house has been "near completion" for a couple years now.

• 4 months later...
The house has been "near completion" for a couple years now.

i had the privilege of accompanying a friend to this mansion last week. there is active construction going on. there seemed to be alot of "finishing" work going on(painting, custom study shelving, cabinet work)

we were not allowed to wander through the place(my friend has been on an extensive tour), but to say there's "alot going on" with that house is an understatement :blink:

what is the deal with the other house on Rivercrest...it appears to be a COMPOUND with like 3 different residences on the property? anyone know what i'm talking about?

what is the deal with the other house on Rivercrest...it appears to be a COMPOUND with like 3 different residences on the property? anyone know what i'm talking about?

Isn't that Yao Ming's place? I know he is building in Rivercrest on Westhiemer. He will bring his parents. His restuarant is right across the street.

Edited by KatieDidIt

Isn't that Yao Ming's place? I know he is building in Rivercrest on Westhiemer. He will bring his parents. His restuarant is right across the street.

Close, that's Mike James' Place. He's on the Rockets, but doesn't play much. The compound in the back is a full basketball court, with a bar/game room right off the entry. It's pretty spectacular on the inside. Probably rival most small town high school courts.

Edited by cgallagher

Close, that's Mike James' Place. He's on the Rockets, but doesn't play much. The compound in the back is a full basketball court, with a bar/game room right off the entry. It's pretty spectacular on the inside. Probably rival most small town high school courts.

Here is a discussion/photos of the James compound:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=12241

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Hubert Vo Mansion At 31 W. Rivercrest Dr.