MCM Churches?

Willowisp

Holly Hall Retirement Community Chapel is almost certainly a MacKie & Kamrath building, but it doesn't show up on any lists of their drawings. I got to see it on a photoshoot a few years ago when the community was being renovated. 
PhotoGallery_5.jpg

https://hollyhall.org/about-us/photo-gallery/

Memorial Church of Christ at 900 Echo Lane is probably a Travis Broesche design. This one's days are numbered. I talked to someone in the office that said they're going to tear it down and build a new building. 

mcoc_category.jpg

St. Francis Episcopal on Piney Point also looks like a Travis Broesche. When I say it looks like one of Broesche's buildings, I mean its not quite as Wrightian as Kamrath. 

St. Cecilia Catholic Community is a group of Louis Kahn-inspired buildings designed by Charles Tapley (I think; it's in the Guide). 

The original Second Baptist Church campus is a very pretty traditional campus built in 1957. It has one sanctuary (now called the Old Sanctuary) and the Hannkamer Chapel. Both have been fully restored and are beautiful. My wife and I were married in the former. 

http://kellyhornberger.com/2012/03/wedding-photography-the-saverys/

And this one's for Marty. Rice Chapel by Harvin C. Moore. Restored by Harrison Kornberg, photo by me. 
RiceChapel1_zps3fbd0b7a.jpg

St. Phillip Presbyterian Church on San Felipe was designed by Wilson Morris Crain & Anderson. 

Emerson Unitarian Church on Bering has or had two MCM buildings, one by CRS from the early 1960's that's been renovated, and the Unity Temple copy main sanctuary my MacKie & Kamrath, but I'm not sure if that one is still there. 

Chapelwood Methodist was originally by Hamilton Brown. 

Holy Cross Lutheran on Westview & Wirt Rd. 

Holy Spirit Episcopal across from Tallowood Baptist looks a bit Kamrathian. 

Memorial Lutheran Church and School was originally designed by Todd, Tackett, Lacy, I think. 

That's all I can think of for now. 

• 2 years later...
On November 18, 2007 at 2:05 AM, Subdude said:

The Berachah (sp) church on West Alabama and Sage is a nice one.

Some of these I wouldn't really consider MCM. Maybe the category is just "modern"?

I've been wondering for years.  It's Wirtz, Calhoun, Tungate, and Jackson from about 1959/60.

On November 18, 2007 at 5:06 PM, Toulouse said:

Everyone should check out Glenbrook United Methodist Church next time your in Glenbrook Valley. It's in the less desirable section of the neighborhood but is worth the drive by. It has small intermittently placed stained glass windows on the external front wall of what appears to be the front altar area of the santuary. The Glenbrook Civic club meets in one of the rooms of the parish hall but I've never been able to sneak away to get a view of the sanctuary. RPS, Stolix, and other Glenbrook mod enthusiasts will need to do that sometime.

C. Marley Green, 1958/59.

• 7 months later...
  • The title was changed to MCM Churches?

Archived