Sub Contractors And Suppliers I Use, And Recommend

We recently had an iron driveway gate installed by R. Slater. They do wooden fences as well. They did a great job with my gate. The person I dealt with was Jason Hartzog, R. Slater Enterprises, 1116 W. Little York, Bldg 6, Houston, TX 77041, 713-937-8435, cell (832) 256-2148. http://www.slaterenterprises.com/

Do you mind me asking how much your iron driveway gate was? I'm moving into a house in a couple of months with a motor court and drive-through porte cochere and was looking into getting a motorized electric gate. Is yours electric and/or solar powered? thanks!

We just paid for them to build and install the iron gate. Right now it doesn't have an opener. We bought an electric opener for it at Harbor Freight but haven't installed it yet--it's just a bolt on opener. Here's what was on the estimate: a 12 1/2' wide x 6' tall fabricated and installed with 4" heavy wall gate posts and ball bearing adjustable hinges and 3' of iron fence to finish off the side to the property line." We paid $1,400 installed. I haven't taken a picture of it yet because we need to clean up our property that you can now see behind the gate. We had a wooden fence crossing the driveway before. Plus, the builder next door put up a fence further onto their property so now we have a gap where they attached the iron gate to our old fence post. I need to come up with a plant to hide the gap and make it look better.

Here's the opener we bought. We got the bigger unit even though the gate isn't very heavy just because the controller is separate. We didn't like the one that was integrated with the arm.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...ct_6970_813_813

• 1 month later...

Another rec for Payless Insulation (I worked with Casey, 281-667-5602).

Had them out yesterday to do the attic--turns out whoever put in the floor (attic had been partly converted to living space) built it out of plywood and and a 4 inch layer of levelling compound. The guys couldn't drill into it and spent half the day pulling it up, then replacing it after they got insualtion in. They were at our place for a solid 12 hours, didn't cut corners and stuck to the original quote even with an extra foot and a half depth along one wall, and putting in sleeves for the can lights. Also the best price quote I got for r-38. If you need blown in, particularly in an old home, I highly recommend them.

HVAC Services - Arvell Moore

281-471-5700

Family owned operated out of La Porte. Will serve anywhere in the Greater Houston area. Good and honest folks who worked on my HVAC unit (they can also install whole units the right way).

It's blowing colder than ever now!

• 6 months later...

OK, resurrecting this thread to seek a recommendation for someone to build a deck on the back of our house. We would do it ourselves (or attempt it), but there is a massive oak tree that needs to be dealt with and we think that Dek Blocks might be required to avoid the tangle of roots just under the surface.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Resurrecting this thread again to add a couple more:

Electrician Mike Budno at 832-754-6081. I got his name from a fellow HAIFer, and he has done great work for us, including installation of recessed lighting and home theather wiring (all permitted). We are going to use him for our attic wiring and new powder room. Very professional, and will work weekends (he's an engineer during the day, this is his side job), which is great if you have a hard time being home during the week.

Painting/sheetrock: Jaime Pardo at 281-802-6563. Used him based on Mike's recommendation. Jaime and his guys ripped out our ceilings and installed and painted new sheetrock. As you know, ceilings have to be perfect or you notice every seam. They did a fantastic job and quickly too! Jaime works for a local builder, so does these side jobs while things are slow.

• 3 years later...

HVAC Services - Arvell Moore

281-471-5700

Family owned operated out of La Porte. Will serve anywhere in the Greater Houston area. Good and honest folks who worked on my HVAC unit (they can also install whole units the right way).

It's blowing colder than ever now!

Caution: Their website is down and they have a "F" rating with BBB. Here's their BBB page: 

http://www.bbb.org/houston/business-reviews/air-conditioning-contractors-and-systems/arvell-moore-air-conditioning-and-heating-inc-in-la-porte-tx-61104/

From BBB:

"Factors that lowered the rating for Arvell Moore Air Conditioning and Heating, Inc. include:

• 45 complaints filed against business
  • Failure to respond to 20 complaints filed against business
  • 7 complaints filed against business that were not resolved

According to BBB files, a majority of consumer complaints allege poor customer service issues.  Several complaints stated company representatives refused to return phone calls, verbally abused or insulted consumers, and failed to show up for scheduled appointments.  In many cases, consumers stated they had contacted the company attempting to report a warranty issue.  Appointments would be set, but often technicians would fail to show up and complete the job.  Other complaints have alleged company technicians misidentified equipment malfunctions and recommended the replacement of entire A/C systems when, in fact, systems required only minor to moderate repairs.  The BBB also noted complaints concerning incomplete jobs."

-Niwashikun

• 1 year later...

Landscaping and Hardscaping - Isabel Corvera, Corvera Ground Maintenance & Design, 713-692-4350 (does my weekly yard work plus put in a brick sidewalk, brick steps and fixed my horrible drainage problem).

I know this post is old, but was searching for recommendations to do hardscaping/landscaping in my backyard and ended up using Isabel Corvera.  He was great!  He listened to my needs/ideas and then came back a week later with a full landscape architectural plan for the back yard completed scoped and estimated.  Some others wanted $600 just to do that and he did it without me asking him.  It was a huge help to visualize everything and plan out the work in phases according to my budget.  He is very thoughtful and detailed and executed the work quickly.  I also believe he is very honest in the work he does all around.  Thanks to the HAIF members for this recommendation!

• 1 year later...

I used Avalanche Contractors to replace our roof and insulation that was damaged after hurricane Ike.  It did take them 3 days to complete it all but taking into account all the work that was involved.  We had a branch from a tree come down on the back part of our home so that needed repair as well.  We are pleased with their work and honesty.  lewis is the guy to talk to 832-537-2317

• 4 years later...

Archived