Help me identify an antique

I've got this old desk I bought at an estate sale and I don't have a use for it anymore.

It looks something like this:

big70009.jpg

Anyone know of any resources online or in town that'll help me get a guesstimate of value. I think it's from the 40's.

Thanks,

flipper

I got un-lazy and took some actual pictures:

IMG_8176.jpg

IMG_8179.jpg

IMG_8177.jpg

IMG_8181.jpg

That last one is the bottom of the middle drawer. The small stamp says "INSP. JULY 2 1945 F.M." unfortunately I can't be sure about the "1945" as it's the hardest to read.

flipper

We have a 6 of those exact chairs. They are VERY fragile.

anyway. one of the chairs has this on the bottom. (we don't have a desk like that though).

Hickory Chair Mfg. Co.

Manufacturers

Hickory, N.C.

Black Bros Furn Co.

Houston, Tex

Hope that helps..

We have a 6 of those exact chairs. They are VERY fragile.

anyway. one of the chairs has this on the bottom. (we don't have a desk like that though).

Hickory Chair Mfg. Co.

Manufacturers

Hickory, N.C.

Black Bros Furn Co.

Houston, Tex

Hope that helps..

Thanks! I hear ya on the chair. The seat on that one is broken.

flipper

Go to eBay. Put in the manufacturer & "desk". There may be something similiar to compare value. Looks great! I use google to research antiques as it brings up other online auctions not as well known as eBay. Good Luck.

I've got this old desk I bought at an estate sale and I don't have a use for it anymore.

It looks something like this:

big70009.jpg

Anyone know of any resources online or in town that'll help me get a guesstimate of value. I think it's from the 40's.

Thanks,

flipper

My brother works for a furniture company in Hickory. I'll ask him.

But being as how I'd love to buy that for my mom for Christmas, I'm pretty sure his answer will be "free". =)

Come finish the punch at 2 houses for me and it's yours ;)

flipper

Are you sure it's a desk? It could be a dressing table (I have one of the same vintage that looks very similar). Check the back to see if there are any screw holes where a mirror would have been mounted.

I checked my "Big Book of Antique Furniture." Your pieces, like many Colonial Reproduction pieces from that period, borrow from several Georgian styles. The desk is Chippendale/Hepplewhite and the chair alludes to a Duncan Phyfe design. The pieces were probably originally bought at a department store, as they are of medium quality (evidenced by the crude dovetailing and plywood bottom on the drawers). The finish on the pieces needs some attention, but it would probably clean up well.

These pieces probably aren't worth a whole lot, but they're still better quality than a lot of new furniture that is sold today. I really don't know what a fair price would be. I am guessing between $100-$200 for the set? Someone help me out here...:)

1940's may be close to right. I have a very similar dresser and also a desk of that era with same hardware.

I much prefer most older furniture with the tiny little wheels underneath. That is your first clue its a cool antique. I would leave original, clean and shine it up and keep it. :blush:

Good luck,

Archived