Bayport-LaPorte Tunnel

editor

When I did my last round of research on this, I found a newspaper article stating that in 1997 tunnel was sealed up in three sections and they were floated 30 miles off Galveston to be sunk for a reef.

I recently received an e-mail from someone claiming that this never happened -- that the tunnel was destroyed at its original location because of fears that an accident would close the Ship Channel.

Anyone have proof one way or the other?

There is a thread on this somewhere. I had also believed that the tunnel was sealed and floated. However, I found a newspaper article online that stated that the tunnel was demolished in place, just as your email stated. I believe the fear was an accident closing the channel, also. I'll see if I can find it again.

On TexasFreeway.com, there are some black & white photos of the tunnel being built, the opening day in 1953, and when it was being taken apart, piece by piece. There's also some of each entrance and one on the inside. I remember the sign just before you'd enter: "No horn, no lights, no passing."

On TexasFreeway.com, there are some black & white photos of the tunnel being built, the opening day in 1953, and when it was being taken apart, piece by piece. There's also some of each entrance and one on the inside. I remember the sign just before you'd enter: "No horn, no lights, no passing."

This is the one I read. The caption had pics of a marine crane pulling up the sections of the tunnel. According to the article, it was the first underwater tunnel that had ever been disassembled.

When I did my last round of research on this, I found a newspaper article stating that in 1997 tunnel was sealed up in three sections and they were floated 30 miles off Galveston to be sunk for a reef.

I recently received an e-mail from someone claiming that this never happened -- that the tunnel was destroyed at its original location because of fears that an accident would close the Ship Channel.

Anyone have proof one way or the other?

TxDOT initially awarded the tunnel removal contract to a firm which planned to cut the tunnel into sections and transport them to an artificial reef area in the Gulf. The firm could not deliver on the contract; I think it was because of insurance issues, and in the Houston Freeways book I refer to "complications".

TxDOT put the project out to bid again. The second time Williams Brothers won, and the tunnel removal was at the discretion of the contractor. The tunnel was sliced up and the material was recycled at the tunnel site. The person who claimed the reef never happened was correct.

You can download the "Bridges and Tunnels" chapter and read the history of the tunnel at

http://houstonfreeways.com/ebook.aspx

• The title was changed to Bayport-LaPorte Tunnel

Archived