Car Talk → 2022

Subdude

1 hour ago, editor said:

Easy solution:  Make a $250 bounty available to inspection stations that catch people with vehicles modified to roll coal. 

The inspection station gets $250.  The state pays for it by sending a ticket to the owner for $300. 

I'm not an expert, but it's my understanding that the process of removing and re-installing the equipment to roll coal isn't worth the effort each year.

I like the way Australia does it. Get caught by the police with bad equipment, removed equipment, etc, and your car gets a sticker that says it can't be driven on the road. Get caught driving it before it's fixed, and the penalties go way up. Another thing they do is anyone caught going 20mph over the limit gets their car towed and impounded for 28 days, then and there. Getting home is up to the driver, but without the car.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 5/14/2022 at 12:03 PM, hindesky said:

Self driving car.

Qg0mhGb.jpg

Self-driving cars are surprisingly common in Nevada.  It even has special license plates for them:

Nevada-Autonomous-driving-license-plate-1038630786.jpeg

A couple of times when I would request a Lyft, the app would ask if I'm OK with a self-driving car.  Unfortunately, answering "yes" doesn't guarantee that one will arrive, so I ended up with regular Lyfts all the time.  But at my old office, my window looked out onto a busy intersection, and I'd see them lined up all the time.  Again, you can tell by the license plates and the extra sensors all over them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Car Talk → 2022
On 7/23/2022 at 1:37 PM, hindesky said:

Saw my first Rivian pickup, they had to turn around on McKee St. due to the train.

https://rivian.com/r1t

k1WAAO2.jpg

I was behind one the other morning driving to work - it was still dark out, so the band of lights front and rear really stood out....they must have been lost though, they were driving about 40mph on the highway !!

Edited by HoustonMidtown

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 12:37 PM, HoustonMidtown said:

I was behind one the other morning driving to work - it was still dark out, so the band of lights front and rear really stood out....they must have been lost though, they were driving about 40mph on the highway !!

I saw one of those, and I said "wtf is that".

Then I saw one of the new "Mustangs", and I said I wanted off this clown earth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

You mean the Mach-E? I find the fact that someone decided it would be a good idea to make a Mustang SUV far more heinous than the fact that it's an EV. 

The real harbinger of the automotive apocalypse is the Ferrari Purosangue, which you will note they take great pains to refer to as a "four-door four-seater", as opposed to an SUV.  They can call it what they like, but the pics say otherwise.  

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 6:55 PM, mkultra25 said:

You mean the Mach-E? I find the fact that someone decided it would be a good idea to make a Mustang SUV far more heinous than the fact that it's an EV. 

The real harbinger of the automotive apocalypse is the Ferrari Purosangue, which you will note they take great pains to refer to as a "four-door four-seater", as opposed to an SUV.  They can call it what they like, but the pics say otherwise.  

that made my soul hurt. The ONE THING a Ferrari is NOT supposed to be is practical.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 4:55 PM, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

I saw one of those, and I said "wtf is that".

I decided long ago that if I am ever serious about getting a mustang, I'm going to take what I would have paid for a new one and buy as old a one as possible and put whatever is left into restoring it.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 4:27 PM, hindesky said:

Guy was taking pics of the car he is going to sell, I think he said it was an '87 or '89 model, asking price is $60,000. It was in great shape. I offered to take a few and email them to him. He said he has a shop on Leeland St.

eCuZNQA.jpg

6OvYeqd.jpg

Did you take these picture while on a bike ride?  Cause if you're tooling around with a drone strapped on the back of your bike that's a whole higher level of awesome.  😃

17 hours ago, august948 said:

I decided long ago that if I am ever serious about getting a mustang, I'm going to take what I would have paid for a new one and buy as old a one as possible and put whatever is left into restoring it.

fortunately, every body panel for early mustangs are made by reproduction companies. You could almost build one from scratch.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, august948 said:

That should be their motto and on all their advertising...  🤣

In Italian it sounds more like a weighty comment from an elder statesman. Given what they charge to add a prancing horse shield to a fender, I'm sure they'd find all sorts of ways to monetize such a motto.   

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2022 at 4:27 PM, hindesky said:

Guy was taking pics of the car he is going to sell, I think he said it was an '87 or '89 model, asking price is $60,000. It was in great shape. I offered to take a few and email them to him. He said he has a shop on Leeland St.

eCuZNQA.jpg

6OvYeqd.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've seen that car parked in his shop on Leeland, if it's the same place, he has a few nice classic Mercs. 

Edited by samagon