Five Oaks Place/Woodside: Office Tower At 1500 Post Oak Bvd.

fernz

24 Hour Fitness on 1550 Post Oak Blvd got a notification from their property owner that they will have to vacate within 45 days. Because of that, they will be closing this month. I think the date of closure is January 27, 2012.

I have been going to this gym for years and will certainly miss it.

Edited by blueskies

BHP bought thier building. It wasn't by choice.

Unlikely. While the closure of 24 Hour Fitness was not 24 Hour Fitness's choice, it is unlikely that BHP bought the building. TIAA-CREF has owned the 24 Hour Fitness building for quite some time. They also own 4 Oaks Place, including the building known as BHP Billiton Tower. As discussed elsewhere, this is part of TIAA-CREF's plan to build another tower in the complex (perhaps a portion of which might be occupied by BHP, who knows?).

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Two Words: Dynamic Blocks

Same curtain wall vendor, same architect, same look; so I stand by my comment.

Well, if that's the standard, then, yes, the Four Oaks Place design (and no doubt any number of other Pickard Chilton designed skyscrapers) is essentially identical to the Devon tower, as you first suggested (without the height and the tapering).

But of course, they are not identical (except for the height and tapering). Far from it. Most people are not going to think a square building (such as the Four Oaks Place design) is essentially identical to the Devon Tower (which is six-sided or triangular, or almost round-ish, depending on how you count the surfaces).

Edited by Houston19514

Amazing how this project came back from the dead. The more density on Post Oak, the better. I wonder if its the angle of the rendering makes it look taller then Aon, or about the same height.

Which building are you referring to as Aon? Is that 1330 Post Oak Blvd? 1330 Post Oak Blvd is 30 stories and the Four Oaks Place presentation says the new building (1500 Post Oak Blvd) is also going to be 30 stories. I am guessing that will make it a little taller than 1330 Post Oak Blvd.

Which building are you referring to as Aon? Is that 1330 Post Oak Blvd? 1330 Post Oak Blvd is 30 stories and the Four Oaks Place presentation says the new building (1500 Post Oak Blvd) is also going to be 30 stories. I am guessing that will make it a little taller than 1330 Post Oak Blvd.

Well I guess they took the Aon sign down after the economy tanked... Like AIG on America Tower... Whatever the middle triplet is formally named.

Amazing how this project came back from the dead. The more density on Post Oak, the better. I wonder if its the angle of the rendering makes it look taller then Aon, or about the same height.

The website I got the rendering from says it will be the tallest building among the ones in the photo.

I spoke to my friend about this again at lunch today. They said:

"It's still not been announced yet."

Which to me sounds alot like "It's a rumor." Maybe you guys are right. We'll see. She said they were going to move everyone downtown, demo the 24 hour fitness building and build a new tower in int's place. Then move everyone back. My question, which I didn't ask at the time, was why move people that aren't in the 24 hours fitness building anyway. I'll see if I can clarify that later.

Edited by SpringShadows

I spoke to my friend about this again at lunch today. They said:

"It's still not been announced yet."

Which to me sounds alot like "It's a rumor." Maybe you guys are right. We'll see. She said they were going to move everyone downtown, demo the 24 hour fitness building and build a new tower in int's place. Then move everyone back. My question, which I didn't ask at the time, was why move people that aren't in the 24 hours fitness building anyway. I'll see if I can clarify that later.

With respect, I think your friend is not a good source.

The idea that BHP would move everyone downtown for 2 years or so, so that they can build a building next to the buildings they currently occupy is, well, ridiculous. They have a lease on their current space unit 2021. Even if they wanted to make such a nonsensical move, I'm not sure they could find that large of a block of space to lease in downtown Houston right now. But more to the point... What possible reason would there be for doing such a thing? I am very confident in saying: Not Happening.

Edited by Houston19514

IIRC, the Aon sign on 1330 Post Oak Blvd. was removed not long after part of it fell 30 stories to the ground (during Ike, I think).

I'm guessing that construction at the 1550 location might start fairly soon. Demo of the health club could start soon after it closes (on Jan. 27, according to Nancy S.'s blog). Also, there won't be any pre-leasing requirements that could delay financing, since TIAA-CREF plans to self-finance (assuming that the info in the 2008 HBJ article on this project is still valid).

...just to clarify, I didn't mean that they were abandoning the current towers, they are expanding. Thus, some departments are moving in preperation for the new building. The current BHP buildings are going to stay BHP.

Still makes absolutely no sense. Why would anyone have to move out of the current buildings? It is not as though BHP has people working in the 24 Hour Fitness Building.