200-Story Skyscraper In Houston

ChannelTwoNews

The end of the article states that the FAA does have a 75 story height restriction in downtown. Didn't we have some credible sources here tell us that the height restriction was a myth?

I'm not sure if I'd call it a myth. However, the FAA can certainly pose a red flag towards the building, but the developers can ignore it, according to what I've read here.

The structural engineer they talked to in the article, Joseph Colaco, is world renowned today as he was 25 yrs ago when he was the structural engineer for Chase tower. He teaches in the UH colleges of architecture and engineering and students line up to attend his courses.

I believe he was a consultant on the Burj Dubai too...

Great, Smart Guy !!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
The end of the article states that the FAA does have a 75 story height restriction in downtown. Didn't we have some credible sources here tell us that the height restriction was a myth?

Tower Trivia:

JPMorgan Chase Tower was originally planned to be 80 stories tall, but the Federal Aviation Administration limited this and future buildings to 75 stories; anything higher would be labeled by the federal agency as hazardous to air navigation.

http://www.chasetower.com/sub-frameset.htm

Which i find kind of weird because everytime i have flown into Hobby (rarely, but it happened when i used to take SW, but now because Continental has such awedome deals, i fly into BUSH airport these days) we would always fly over the area between DT and UT or would circle AROUND DT; never over it. Very curious. I honestly cannot see why adding a few more feet (100-500ft) to 1000ft. would make much of a difference. BUT, i admit i know almost zilch about FAA rules and such.

m. B)

It's imposible

There once was an article of proposed outlandish and proposterous project's meant for Houston. This would have to rank at the top (very top, pardon the pun) of the list.

Would love to see it topple over at the height of a category 5 hurricane. They would never get the $ backing for such a fiasco. Here we are what 30 years later and nada. Foiled fables next stop. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • The title was changed to 200-Story Skyscraper In Houston

Archived