Embassy Suites By Hilton Houston Downtown At 1515 Dallas St.

ricco67

Niche, that's just like you to go find and post the most unflattering angle of 5 Houston Center to make your point. I wouldn't expect anything less from you. We all know that pic is not a proper representation of 5-HC.

Good architecture does not have an unflattering angle.

Even at it's best, 5 Houston Center looks like the sort of spec office building that gets built in Westchase. It does not integrate well with the downtown skyline. You can contrast it with Calpine Center, which was completed not too long after 5 Houston Center and has a similar color scheme and pattern, but is far and away the more tasteful building...from any angle.

well since you asked.., How about an angle taken from Discovery Green that highlights the 3 or 4 story raised section with the curved roof on top. Yeah.., how about that one :D

The only redeeming quality about that photo is having Discovery Green in the foreground. And I don't like One Park Place, next door, either.

what's a Houton HOMER? Is it an acronym? I've never heard of one before.

I'm a little inclinded to think that a person who feels compelled to drive out if his way to keep his out-of-town friends from seeing a hotel building next to the park has issues. Seeing as how you had to drive through 200 hundred potholes and past a few dozen homeless people to get there, I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and suggest that your friends have already started devleoping their opinion of downtown Houston before they are assaulted by the appalling architectural mediocrity of a mid-priced hotel chain.

Edited by crunchtastic

My friends do not attribute the poor architecture in Houston to me just because I live here. They would never say, "What the hell is that 'thing' on top of yall's Embassy Suites?" Instead, they would say, "What the hell is that 'thing' you are wearing, Red?" My friends are like that. They attribute to me those things that I control, and attribute to others those things that others control.

Your friends are wierd.

Niche, Exactly what do you like? If anything??

You brought up what you try to show visitors and what you try to hide from them...so let's put it this way... My tour of Houston for visitors entails driving from the airport via US 59 to point out the absurdity that is La Luz Del Mundo (because bad architecture can still be funny, which is good), then cutting around downtown via I-10 and I-45, exiting McKinney, and hanging a right on Smith St. to go to the Spec's taj mahal. Going home, I head back up Louisiana St., hang a right on Texas St., and head toward home via Harrisburg, taking Eastwood Street the rest of the way (ideally being stopped for a passing freight train just long enough to feel justified in turning my motor off).

If my guest is going to be in town for a couple days, I'll try to take them on the Galveston Bay loop on the first day, involving SH 225 to Barbour's Cut, then Bayridge Dr. through Morgan's Point, La Porte, and then again from Bayview through Bacliff and San Leon for Gilhooley's, then Galveston for the beach, and then across to Bolivar and to Smith Point at twilight, and then back to Houston via I-10 and back to SH 225 over the Fred Hartman bridge. And then the second day is a jaunt down US 59 to Bellaire Blvd. for a hot pot dinner and then over to Hillcroft for Indian sweets. If they're into the arts, then a visit to the Menil Collection or Hermann Park & the Museum District are waypoints. If they're into shopping, then the Galleria is a waypoint. If they're outdoorsy, then Memorial Park gets added.

Think about these routes. There are lots of ugly things. Some of them are unremarkable and will not be remembered; other things are pretty because they're ugly, or provide opportunity for contemplation. And in other cases, what's along the way are true gems...whether they exist in the rough or are placed upon a pedestal, in light or in dark. The bottom line is this: I don't try to sell Houston for more than it is. I offer my guests an authentic experience. There's warmth and charm in authenticity, and some people can appreciate that; those that cannot are not my guests.

I realize that I have not answered your question directly--but it has been answered, I assure you.

Edited by TheNiche
  • Like 1

My friends do not attribute the poor architecture in Houston to me just because I live here. They would never say, "What the hell is that 'thing' on top of yall's Embassy Suites?" Instead, they would say, "What the hell is that 'thing' you are wearing, Red?" My friends are like that. They attribute to me those things that I control, and attribute to others those things that others control.

Your friends are wierd.

I've been meaning to tell you, Red, I like "Margaritaville" as much as the next guy, but that shirt is frankly appalling.

Good architecture does not have an unflattering angle.

Even at it's best, 5 Houston Center looks like the sort of spec office building that gets built in Westchase. It does not integrate well with the downtown skyline. You can contrast it with Calpine Center, which was completed not too long after 5 Houston Center and has a similar color scheme and pattern, but is far and away the more tasteful building...from any angle.

I agree that the Calpine is superior in design appeal, but I remember seeing wind studies after Ike and this building was the cause of the vortex that took out all of those windows at Chase. Plus, the elevators hurt people.

I agree that the Calpine is superior in design appeal, but I remember seeing wind studies after Ike and this building was the cause of the vortex that took out all of those windows at Chase. Plus, the elevators hurt people.

Those are engineering issues, not architecture.

Houston, like most large cities, has many different cultures to be discovered. Most of my friends that come to visit for the first time have this image of Houston as this big conservative gritty blue collar sprawling oil town with a lot of people but nothing to do. While I wouldn't say that's a total misrepresentation, neither would I say it fully describes my hometown.

I don't try to make Houston out to be something that is not, I simply let my guests know that Houston does also have its sophisticated cosmopolitan side as well. They are always wowed by the variety of the food offerings, the culture of the museum district, the beauty of Hermann Park, the downtown/uptown skylines, the massiveness of the Texas Medical Center, shopping @ the Galleria & Rice/Highland Villages, the urban forest of Memorial Park & points north & west, the heavy industrial feel of the Ship Channel & refineries, & yes even the sprawl!

I don't just visit the sterile environs in H-town, I also expose them to some of the quirkiness, grit and realness of H-town (Montrose, Washington Ave, 3rd ward, SW-side). Interestingly most of my friends always ask about great shopping, nightlife, unique restaurants, parks, urban life etc. so that's what I end up showing them.

I have to respect Niche for his east Houston tour, because hey, that's what he thinks his friends/guests would find interesting. In fact I wouldn't mind taking the tour myself someday.

Bottom line is there all many different types of people that make this world, and this specifically this city, the fascinating place that it is. Different strokes for different folks..., neither is right or wrong..., it's just who we are!

• Like 3

I have been watching this sucker go up everyday, and yesterday I had the opportunity to drive past through the park from the North. It looks like this building is facing the South -- away from the park -- and overlooking an ugly stretch of downtown. The back of the building -- with one window in the middle of each floor -- faces the park. It is the most unwelcoming, ugly blob. I don't want to sound too shrill, but suffice to say it doesn't make the park experience more inviting. I'm sure there is a reason they faced the building away from the park, maybe because of access issues involved with not owning the entire lot. But crap. It reminds me of the back of ther Mercer. Anyone know why they would face the building away from the park and toward the electrical substation?

Anyone know why they would face the building away from the park and toward the electrical substation?

Look at the parcel they had to work with. There's no direct street access along Lamar Street, so they had two other options: La Branch or Dallas. Each of those streets faces away from the park, and neither is aesthetically welcoming. The convention center and the Hilton Americas conference spaces require about a half-blockface less walking to get to if the entrance is on Dallas.

As for why the tower is oriented with windows facing east and west, that had entirely to do with the shape of the lot. Highway6 discussed standard hotel layouts earlier, and yeah, they really only just had the option of running the corridors down the long way of the building.

Look at the parcel they had to work with. There's no direct street access along Lamar Street, so they had two other options: La Branch or Dallas. Each of those streets faces away from the park, and neither is aesthetically welcoming. The convention center and the Hilton Americas conference spaces require about a half-blockface less walking to get to if the entrance is on Dallas.

As for why the tower is oriented with windows facing east and west, that had entirely to do with the shape of the lot. Highway6 discussed standard hotel layouts earlier, and yeah, they really only just had the option of running the corridors down the long way of the building.

Sounds like you got it right. It's just a shame that when you stand in the park you get the ass end -- a very unwelcoming and ugly end -- of that building. At least from a park visitior's perspective, no view was better than that view.

Sounds like you got it right. It's just a shame that when you stand in the park you get the ass end -- a very unwelcoming and ugly end -- of that building. At least from a park visitior's perspective, no view was better than that view.

Maybe its ass end can be the canvas for some large urban art expression. For instance, a mural of an oil derrick mounted on the side by a space shuttle and atop by a squatting Bagwell.

• Like 1

Maybe its ass end can be the canvas for some large urban art expression. For instance, a mural of an oil derrick mounted on the side by a space shuttle and atop by a squatting Bagwell.

I wish that the City's sign ordinances would permit large-scale outdoor advertising on the sides of buildings. This (and the abandoned Central Square building) would be a good place for it.

• Like 1

I just don't think, at the end of the day, people not like us, will be at Discovery Green or the GRB and say, "ya know, that's a pretty ugly building, but hey, pretty cool that it's there anyway." They'll just think, "dang, that's kinda ugly."

I don't know, we'll see. I don't mean to pile on the ugly band wagon. My main complaint is it's height and lack of utility.

I just don't think, at the end of the day, people not like us, will be at Discovery Green or the GRB and say, "ya know, that's a pretty ugly building, but hey, pretty cool that it's there anyway." They'll just think, "dang, that's kinda ugly."

I don't know, we'll see. I don't mean to pile on the ugly band wagon. My main complaint is it's height and lack of utility.

Good point, thay may be true, but those visitors might be staying at that very hotel lol. :lol:

I don't have a problem with the height, just the cheapish stucco facade, orientation on the lot, and that "thing" on top. Actually I'd prefer smaller buildings around Discovery Green as opposed to the park being boxed in by super-talls on all sides which would block the expansive views of the rest of downtown from the park.

I don't have a problem with the height, just the cheapish stucco facade, orientation on the lot, and that "thing" on top. Actually I'd prefer smaller buildings around Discovery Green as opposed to the park being boxed in by super-talls on all sides which would block the expansive views of the rest of downtown from the park.

You mean the expansive view of downtown, there just one view of expansiveness, and thats towards the north. Parking lots,toyota center, hilton americas, scattered buildings, and more parking lots to the left/west. Parking lots, Discovery Tower, MMP, scattered structures, Harris Co. justice buildings, and more parking lots to the right/east. Not really expansive.And until those parking lots turn into something, I'd prefer a supertall that blocks out that view of the parking lots, but heck a 2 story structure can block that, so it doesn't really have to be a supertall.