Leonard Gebhart Mansion At 3602 Parkwood Dr.

BenH

DSC_0258.jpg

Crappy photo, but gets the job done. This house had been for sale for quite a while, and I thought was as good as gone. But the sign out front is gone, and it appears to be saved for the time being. You'll remember that this house was originally painted that dark red that typefies the work of Bailey Swenson, Len Gebhart and one Bolton & Barnstone house in Riverside Terrace. Hopefully they won't discover any problems with it.

• Like 1

Isn't that the one on Parkwood? I had printed out the HAR listing several months ago intending to drive by for a look, but never got around to doing so until yesterday afternoon. I'd never really explored Riverside Terrace much before - there really are some jaw-dropping houses there. Glad to see this one's found a new owner who's not intent on demolition.

That's one of the few 60's mods I've ever sort of liked. Maybe because it has a little hint of Craftsman or Prarie style to it.

I got to agree that Riverside has some amazing home in it. Has there been an increase in value of the past few years like the rest of Houston?

Edited by KatieDidIt

It looks better than it did in MLS. It's good to see that the owner didn't tear it down...it's hard to tell what will happen after a property that sits on the market for about 2 years. They didn't get anywhere near their initial $795,000 asking price.

gwilson, Riverside Terrace is over off of MacGregor, east of 288. This house is at 3602 Parkwood if you want to pull up a map of the area. There are some great homes in there.

It looks better than it did in MLS. It's good to see that the owner didn't tear it down...it's hard to tell what will happen after a property that sits on the market for about 2 years. They didn't get anywhere near their initial $795,000 asking price.

gwilson, Riverside Terrace is over off of MacGregor, east of 288. This house is at 3602 Parkwood if you want to pull up a map of the area. There are some great homes in there.

Definitely drive on Roseneath. It's basically a mod neighborhood. There's several by Bailey Swenson and Lucian Hood/Phil Willard/Lars Bang.

• 7 years later...

I just purchased this home a couple of months back and am slowly bring it back to its former glory, been scouering the internet for information.  Could you please post any pics or information about the Leonard Gebhart Mansion, I see someone already did however they have been removed.  Thanks in advanced! The house was built in 1949 and has a beautiful curved staircase in the entry way with matching chandeliers in that room and the dining room. Pictures of the progress to follow.

• Like 1

I just purchased this home a couple of months back and am slowly bring it back to its former glory, been scouering the internet for information.  Could you please post any pics or information about the Leonard Gebhart Mansion, I see someone already did however they have been removed.  Thanks in advanced! The house was built in 1949 and has a beautiful curved staircase in the entry way with matching chandeliers in that room and the dining room. Pictures of the progress to follow.

I've attached a picture of what it used to look like a few years ago. Just don't paint the stone. 

post-3294-0-07188900-1415816856_thumb.jp

• Like 3

I've attached a picture of what it used to look like a few years ago. Just don't paint the stone. 

Thanks you so much Ben!!! I noticed that the windows openings had been closed in to accommodate the crappy home depot specials.  This will help a lot!!  I would never paint the stone,post-13665-0-33000500-1416249223_thumb.jpost-13665-0-33075200-1416249228_thumb.j however the previous owner painted the stone in the sun room gold...yes gold.  So I had my buddy Daniel re-paint to entire room....I couldn't remove the gold without ruining the stone so I went all out…here's a pano of the room and the before after I painted it white for him..just imagine sparkly gold...was such a travesty.

Glad to see a Riverside Terrace house saved, and congrats to you for appreciating the original architecture and working to restore it!  So many homes over there have suffered from very insensitive renovations.

I read somewhere that Lenard Gabert had a penchant for grand staircases, which probably originated during his work as a set designer.

• Like 1

Ozzie, 

Unfortunately, no. I imagine most of the houses in Riverside have been through a situation as those in River Oaks; literally tons of renovations as tastes change. I imagine the house was probably red to begin with, as the above photo indicates, and that would be a period correct color for a modern house in that neighborhood. The Bolton & Barnstone house across the street that has been so hideously remuddled was the same color. 

And if you hear anything back from Gaberts' son, please share. I'd especially like to know what other projects he designed. He was partners with Jack Wisdom for a long time. 

Edited by BenH

Thanks Ben, if I hear anything from the son I will share.  The process has begun; I've pulled up all the terracotta tile in the entryway and will be laying white marble.  Some of the original tile was left under the new as a clue.  I wish I could get my hands on the original blue prints.  Oh, and that Bolton & Barnstone house you spoke about is on google street view (2007) You ain't kidding gezz unrecognizable.  I had no idea....

Ozzie, 

I've got pictures somewhere of that Bolton & Barnstone house. It wasn't a great one, but didn't deserve what they did to it. Get in touch with Stephen Fox at Rice University and see if he knows anything about it. sfox@rice.edu, I think. 

What I found out from Mr. Fox:

"The address is first listed in the 1949 Houston City Directory. Morris Shainock was the original owner. 

Tiny Wisdom told me in 1989 that her husband, the architect W. Jackson Wisdom, designed the house at 3602. In 1949, Mr. Wisdom was the partner of Lenard Gabert in the firm of Lenard Gabert & W. Jackson Wisdom.

Here is a link to some basic biographical information on Jack Wisdom: http://www.geni.com/people/William-Jackson-Wisdom/6000000014159287619

I also note that his son of the same name is a lawyer in Houston.

To my surprise, I find a site for Lenard Gabert & Associates that claims descent from Gabert's architectural practice. Who knows whether they retain his architectural records or not? I hope so.

http://www.greendomeservices.com/about-us/ "

Reached out the the son, made contact but unfortunatly did not have any old plans or drawings but he did say, "Peter—first, thank you for reaching out. My dad was very proud of the work he did designing houses in the early days after he got back from WW II, and it warms my heart to know that you appreciate what you have. Sadly, I do not have any of his plans or drawings from that time period. I wish I did."

So that was nice...anyway, I'll keep digging.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have photographs of this house and the one across the street.  I am not sure how to post photos on here with all the changes. Last time I was in the house the plans were in the upstairs left closet just before entering the bedroom over the kitchen.  I suppose you know the large bedroom and bath on the first floor are not original to the house.

It is interesting to learn about Tiny Wisdom being the architect's wife.  She was a popular and wacky teacher at Houston's Robert E. Lee High School for many years. 

• Like 1

I have photographs of this house and the one across the street.  I am not sure how to post photos on here with all the changes. Last time I was in the house the plans were in the upstairs left closet just before entering the bedroom over the kitchen.  I suppose you know the large bedroom and bath on the first floor are not original to the house.

It is interesting to learn about Tiny Wisdom being the architect's wife.  She was a popular and wacky teacher at Houston's Robert E. Lee High School for many years. 

SpaceAge, that’s fantastic!! Could you email them to me if you have time? peter.w.osborne@gmail.com I have looked all over the house and the only thing I did find was a large roll of xmas wrapping.  I'll look again when I get home. I know which closet you are talking about.  That closet always struck me as kinda weird; it's a closet, within a closet, within a tinny closet that drops down to the first floor.  The second door has a lock (that’s been painted over several times) on it so I'm sure it was used to store important things that you didn't want people running off with.  Any info on the original colors, flooring, etc. will be helpful.  The large bedroom and bath is an add on for sure, you can see the curtain recesses in the main living room for a window that has turned into a wall.

SpaceAge's pictures he sent me along with the Bolton & Barnstone home pre remodel.  SpaceAge, I have a question the room next to the master suite on the second floor, how what that set up.  When I bought the home they had closed in a walkway with dry wall to make it a 5th bedroom. Was the master a master suite? Thanks!

post-13665-0-64053100-1417706816_thumb.j

post-13665-0-78846400-1417706818_thumb.j

post-13665-0-12944100-1417706821_thumb.j

post-13665-0-81502500-1417706823_thumb.j

post-13665-0-35217000-1417706826_thumb.j

post-13665-0-34883600-1417706829_thumb.j

post-13665-0-38544100-1417706832_thumb.j

post-13665-0-27464000-1417706835_thumb.j

post-13665-0-49344800-1417706837_thumb.j

Hmmm.  Maybe I will reach out to Gabert fils.  There is a very interesting church and a well-kept "survivor" travel-courts motel both by the Gabert firm in Freeport.  He might be interested to see those.  Thanks for the info and pictures, Ozzie!  Do we know that Gabert lived here for sure, or just that his firm designed the house?  Also, I don't know if it was mentioned here, that while MacKie and Kamrath is/are generally credited for Temple Emanu El on Sunset, Lenard Gabert had a major role in the project, too.   Here are links to Jack Wisdom's biographical sketches in the AIA Historical Directory of American Architects:  http://public.aia.org/sites/hdoaa/wiki/Wiki%20Pages/ahd1049155.aspx  I was amused to see that in the 1956 edition of the Directory, Wisdom was credited as being an associate on a project for "J. K. Rawlcower."  Harry Potter fans no doubt find that typo amusing, but they mean Joseph Krakower, a Jewish architect like Gabert, who worked on a number of projects for the Jewish community.  Wisdom actually worked for Gabert for only a few years early in his career and went on to have a partnership with (Percy?) Zimmermann and later his own firm.

Just recived an email from Victor Shainock, Morris Shainock's son:

"Peter.

Morris Shainock was my Father and my parents built the 3602 Parkwood home after WW II.

I will be happy to try and answer questions you might have about the home. I also have

a book of pictures that were taken after the home was built.

Victor Shainock"

This is getting exciting!

• Like 2

Had lunch with Vic Shainock (original owner's son) today and he brought a book of original pictures taken just after the house was build...I am still in shock.  I just took some quick cell pics and will get these properly scanned and re-post.  They are amazing!!!  Thanks again for all your help!!!

post-13665-0-14463700-1418415285_thumb.j

post-13665-0-52682900-1418415298_thumb.j

post-13665-0-91977000-1418415311_thumb.j

post-13665-0-47060700-1418415323_thumb.j

post-13665-0-73563800-1418415335_thumb.j

post-13665-0-01426500-1418415351_thumb.j

• Like 5