Sunset Coffee Building At 1019 Commerce St.

Lowbrow

My proposal is to install some artificial rock climbing routes down there. Does anyone have any suggestions on who I might contact to help get this idea off the ground? It would need to be someone with some serious influence to cut through the red tape.
I wonder if this is still in the works -- even after that finding that found over half of the waterways in Texas are failing safety requirements

A good organization to contact on these issues would be the Buffalo Bayou Partnership. Here's another link, to their events page - boat tours, etc.

• 2 months later...

Chron: "Bayous are flush with fecal bacteria"

Duh..Tomorrow's headline: "The sun came up in the east"

Anyone ever bike/run under Waugh drive at The bayou? There's quite a bat population there.. the poop doesn't just fall on the trails. Birds and fish and alligators.. oh my! Everyone's gotta poop.. who goes swimming there anyway?

And of course the human street resident downtown.. Their main bathroom is the sewer.. Just wait until that fancy new park opens.. Might want to do some comparative analysis on a before and after..

Congrats Chron! That's some great reporting! Who would have guessed?!

I don't think people mind their babies ____, but I'd rather not touch and or swim in someone elses ____!

I can guarantee you that ____ that emerged from an anus of someone bearing your last name is no more potent or infectious than that from some other random person's anus.

It's skin. It'll wash.

I like the old green building and the new rendering and that spot is a special one. I think the plans for a canoe rental and cafe there will work.

I somehow can't help thinking of "Alien's Landing" though whenever I see or hear Allen's Landing. Ironic that the city is considered a sanctuary city too...... <_<

I like the old green building and the new rendering and that spot is a special one. I think the plans for a canoe rental and cafe there will work.

I think a causal bar on level 1 with lots of outdoor seating would work great. You wouldn't even need that much seating, as people could just mingle in the surrounding area. There was a bar in York, England on the river that I always think of when I think of the sunset building. I guess a big problem is the flooding (if you had the bar on the lowest floor, which is what I think would be nice so that you could have people accumulate around the area).

I can guarantee you that ____ that emerged from an anus of someone bearing your last name is no more potent or infectious than that from some other random person's anus.

Wow! I literally laughed out loud when I read this! Niche you crack me up! (I can't believe we are talking about swimming in ____ on these forums, lol)

• 11 months later...
Well, not every building. But that was the LC Cafeteria. B)

My Mother was a cashier at the LC Cafeteria in July, 1953. A local reporter for the Houston Post came for lunch several days a week and during one visit he took her picture and wrote an article about her. He said she was like a 10,000 watt beacon to most males. I will post that article and share with everyone.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

More information yesterday about the renovation of the building:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2009/07/love_street_lives_sorta_maybe.php

From the article:

The Buffalo Bayou Partnership is planning to refurbish the three-story old warehouse and open it as the International Coffee Building, in honor of its initial tenants.

BBP's office will be on the second floor, a place to rent bikes and kayaks will be on the first. And on the third, the home of the psychedelic club?

Meeting space for rent.

I'm excited about the canoe and kayak rentals! We need something like that if we're going to get people to see/use Buffalo Bayou as more than a runoff ditch.

I'd be surprised if they were pressed for cash. They somehow afford to shut down the Sabine Street bridge and hold a rich people gala right in the middle of it! Not good if you live in Sabine St Lofts, haha

I tried to visit my mother on foot and they wouldn't even let me cross the bridge on foot for fear that the rich people would see a person dressed normal on their rented bridge. They made me walk all the way around to the footbridge by Wortham. Horrible, just horrible.

Edited by kylejack

Exactly, this sounds like really old news.

I guess it would be really old news if the PR Director for the Buffalo Bayou Partnership (Trudi Smith) hadn't just said this yesterday. A rehash of stuff they'd said before? Perhaps. But if they're actively pursuing it, then I don't see how that's old news. :)

I guess it would be really old news if the PR Director for the Buffalo Bayou Partnership (Trudi Smith) hadn't just said this yesterday. A rehash of stuff they'd said before? Perhaps. But if they're actively pursuing it, then I don't see how that's old news. smile.gif

Recycled news I guess. It's more like they Dynamo telling us they'll get a deal done in two weeks, 50 times. Hopefully the partnership does not make the same mistake.

Would it even be safe to kayak or canoe in Buffalo Bayou? I remember they tested the waters last year, and it wasn't very good. Infact it is one of the worse polluted bayous in Texas.

That reminds me. I was running along the bayou a few weeks ago and saw a man fishing. I did a double take to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

I guess it would be really old news if the PR Director for the Buffalo Bayou Partnership (Trudi Smith) hadn't just said this yesterday. A rehash of stuff they'd said before? Perhaps. But if they're actively pursuing it, then I don't see how that's old news. smile.gif

In April, I talke to the canoe guys that are supposed to have the concession. He said they'd be in next summer.

That looks nice. After having lived in San Antonio for a long time, a Lake Flato building is really obvious, but it's still nice. The BB partnership has done cool things with trying to buy up bayou-fronting parcels, the trails out on the east side of the bayou, and etc. Good for them.

The software photo selections never cease to amaze, though. That one boy looks like he's wearing a straightjaket and combat boots. On the other hand, at least they visually acknowledged the middle-aged hippies who help fund much of this stuff. :D

Lake Flato, eh? They're quite a distinct firm indeed, and they do have some pretty neat projects under their belts. The UT School of Nursing and Student Community Center in the TMC is one of theirs, in fact.

The software photo selections never cease to amaze, though. That one boy looks like he's wearing a straightjaket and combat boots. On the other hand, at least they visually acknowledged the middle-aged hippies who help fund much of this stuff. :D

I hate to bring this up, as it may scare away potential tourists and other users, but those people are holograms! That place is HAUNTED! :o

The Joanne King Herring Building. Naming matter resolved.smile.gif

Coffeebuilding.jpg

I suppose it is somewhat appropriate to name a waterfront building after a fish. But, have you EVER seen someone plug their own landmark naming? Note that Adrian Garcia did not propose the renaming. Ms. Herring STATED that Garcia thought it would be a good idea, and Ms. Herring and her partner suggested that Adrian's idea should be implemented. :huh:

Of course, ya gotta admit, a fashion museum with Ms. Herring's leopard print cowboy hat on display would be hard to pass up.

Edited by RedScare

Would it even be safe to kayak or canoe in Buffalo Bayou? I remember they tested the waters last year, and it wasn't very good. Infact it is one of the worse polluted bayous in Texas.

That reminds me. I was running along the bayou a few weeks ago and saw a man fishing. I did a double take to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

I do it every year. It's aweseome. It's more polluted downstream, then up. The section through memorial park and river oaks would surprise you. Look in the photo section wehre I posted some photos a year ago. It's a cool trip.

I think this will link you...

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/index.php?showtopic=15519

Edited by capnmcbarnacle