Sunset Coffee Building At 1019 Commerce St.

Lowbrow

• 2 weeks later...

This is going to be a great addition to the bayou and Market Square, and will become a popular place for water activities and boating,  just like Memorial Park's jogging trail is for runners. I can see some more restaurants or burger bar places opening in the neighborhood.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Tonyhtown said:

Any updates in this?

Yes.  This "historic renovation" has essentially gutted a building back to its bones and built an entirely new building that, other than is shape and footprint, looks nothing like the original building.  The materials used on the "historic renovation" do not seem to be, in anyway, sensitive to history.  It is a new building, with a new facade, built on an old structure -- old bones but everything that you can see has little to do with history.  Is it functional as a modern structure?  Very likely.  Is it functional as a modern structure that has been "historically renovated?" Not in my opinion.

This building could have been restored with period sensitive brick, mortar, Windows, and roof material.  It could have been a historic renovation.  But it sure doesn't look that way to me.  Does it to you?

• Like 2

Yeah, this is definitely not a (NOT an!!! ugh) historic renovation - it is a modern renovation of an old shell of a building that was badly neglected for a long time. But those are just nitpicky words - I'm glad to see prime waterfront property repurposed by a nonprofit entity any day.

Speaking of nitpicky - does anyone know when this building actually housed Sunset? I have only seen it referred to as International or Cleveland Coffee..

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2016 at 0:36 PM, sevfiv said:

Yeah, this is definitely not a (NOT an!!! ugh) historic renovation - it is a modern renovation of an old shell of a building that was badly neglected for a long time. But those are just nitpicky words - I'm glad to see prime waterfront property repurposed by a nonprofit entity any day....

Love Street was a dump.  Some fine music went on there.  And the surrounding area was site of some interesting hijinks.  

But the old building itself was hardly memorable.  It started to crumble as renovations began, so something useful was constructed on its bones.  

• Like 3

I like the fact that they took the approach to preserve history and restore a historical building. I'm just not too crazy about the new orange-ish tan-ish color of the brick on the building. Even though the previous green color they used may have looked a little dated, they could have pulled it off if it was done right.

Again, regardless of whether you like the final result, this is not a restoration of a historic building. All that's left of the old building is the basic structure. Everything else- exterior details, window pattern, brickwork- everything else is not just brand new but noticeably different. 

That's not to judge whether that choice was right or wrong; it's just worth clarifying that this is no longer a historic building.

Edited by Texasota
  • Like 3

• 10 months later...

when I went there on Monday (28th) it was flooded up to about a foot under the catwalks. I rode my bike out to the end and it felt like a pier.

the flooding had already gone down since Sunday, so the first floor was completely flooded, and probably the second floor was flooded as well. Didn't the build it with the expectation that the first floor would flood on the regular?

(this is Triton's photo from the previous page)

catwalk/pier that was above water on Monday on the right of building:

30049171600_3d35ae5d99_h.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...

I remember how excited I was about this project in 2015 but it seems nothing really came of it. I rarely see anyone here, even though it was renovated. I guess it's just used occasionally? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Triton said:

I remember how excited I was about this project in 2015 but it seems nothing really came of it. I rarely see anyone here, even though it was renovated. I guess it's just used occasionally? 

My fiancé and I considered it as a venue but the logistics just wouldn't work. We want a small wedding (around 100) but you could only fit around 80 people up top. They also make you rent each floor out and if you want to cater food and drinks that requires a permit. Not difficult things, just another headache to deal with and deciding how to hold the ceremony then the reception on the roof (for the views) just made it too difficult to mess with.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Sunset Coffee Building At 1019 Commerce St.