Sunset Coffee Building At 1019 Commerce St.

Lowbrow

I heard someone recently bought this building on Buffalo Bayou and is pushing for retail and food/drink establishments to move in.

Does anyone have any more info?

Looks like a beautiful site although the building could use a hand. See if I can find a pic...

http://houston.commercialexchange.com/Photos/eProp/web/16880.jpg

here is the real estate description:

Freestanding waterfront building on Main and on the banks of the Buffalo Bayou. In the heart of the revitalized historic downtown entertainment district. Building sits at historic Allen`s Landing surrounded by 2 acres of park space. Surrounded by large patio and outdoor seating space. Perfect site for entertainment/ eating establishment.

lol and here is a pdf with most the info I was looking for:

Wulfe & Co. Brochure

• Like 1

Wow. The Bayou's never looked so beautiful.

I took my son down to Allen's Landing Saturday morning and it's really lovely down there. You get toe see the sides of old buildings, the undersides of the old bridges and the wide merging of the White Oak and Buffalo. We say a mama duck with a bunch of little ones sliding down the loading ramp into the water.

That building still had the For Sale sign on it. It would be a fantastic cafe spot.

I took my son down to Allen's Landing Saturday morning and it's really lovely down there. You get toe see the sides of old buildings, the undersides of the old bridges and the wide merging of the White Oak and Buffalo. We say a mama duck with a bunch of little ones sliding down the loading ramp into the water.

That building still had the For Sale sign on it. It would be a fantastic cafe spot.

You sure it wasnt a For Lease sign? Thats what I recall.

Man I probably walked right past ya Danax. I was there all morning too.

You sure it wasnt a For Lease sign? Thats what I recall.

Man I probably walked right past ya Danax. I was there all morning too.

hehe. I think I missed you. We were the only ones there except a homeless guy and an older couple. It might have been a For Lease or actually, it might have been For Information, call .... which would mean to lease.

I was thinking the same thing but it very well could be true, given the position of the sun in the sky (the reflection hides the brown). Plus, as Danax said, that area of the Bayou is pretty tidy so...

That low building on the other side of the bridge there in that picture is pretty interesting. I wonder if it is going to be put to use for anything. The top part at street level looks like an abandoned gas station with plenty of homeless occupants. Most of the trash spilling over from that building into the bayou looks like the accumulation of a few bag-peoples shopping carts. Mostly clothes and the like. While its sad to see the refuse... its even sadder to wonder what happened to the owners of the carts. Took off for Miami I hope.

The "Light Circus" part does sound familiar. I never went there. I went to The Cellar once, and realized that was not my cup of tea. This was back in my high school days. It was not until after I got out of the Navy that the brain began fritzing out. Musta been the Agent Orange aftereffects, huh?

Subdude, do you just know the complete tenant history of every building in downtown Houston, standing or razed??? Ok, real quick - what was the name of the cafeteria located at the bottom of the San Jacinto Hotel in the 40's and 50's?!

Well, not every building. But that was the LC Cafeteria. B)

• 5 months later...
That low building on the other side of the bridge there in that picture is pretty interesting. I wonder if it is going to be put to use for anything. The top part at street level looks like an abandoned gas station with plenty of homeless occupants. Most of the trash spilling over from that building into the bayou looks like the accumulation of a few bag-peoples shopping carts. Mostly clothes and the like. While its sad to see the refuse... its even sadder to wonder what happened to the owners of the carts. Took off for Miami I hope.

The low building on the other side of the bridge is Harris County owned and was/is used for courthouse storage. Now that the old Harris County Jail at 1301 Franklin is used for storage, maybe the County will sell that building as excess property. If so, it could get turned into retail/restaurant to serve the courthouse campus.

While, it is true that there are 2 jails, they are on the other side of the bayou. On the downtown side, there is only 49 San Jacinto, which is where you post bonds. Not sure if that is also where they get released.

EDIT: The County's plan is to have the Courthouse Plaza at San Jacinto and Franklin, surrounded by the courthouses. The north San Jacinto corridor, north of the bayou, is to be the 'Detention District', where the jails are located. I do not know if plans include moving jail intake from 49 San Jacinto or not, but clearly, the county intends for 'unpleasantness' to be located across the bayou.

• Like 1