Rufus Cage Elementary School At 1417 Telephone Rd.

Guest danax

Jan. 23, 2005, 12:42AM

Thanks to the Eastwood Civic Association for their leadership in this. More info here.

WHAT'S THAT?

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Karen Warren / Chronicle

The former Rufus Cage Elementary, a mission-style school building in the East End.

• Size: 20,000 square feet on 1.1 acres

• Year built: circa 1910

• Fate: The building was on its way to being sold to the highest bidder, but East End neighborhood activists persuaded the Houston Independent School District to work with them to find a new use for this historic building with the goal of preserving the property. But there's no clear plan yet for the property.

• Etc.: The former Cage School was included on Greater Houston Preservation Alliance's Endangered Buildings List in early 2004. The property has been used as a supply warehouse since 1983, when the current Cage Elementary opened.

"What's that?" is a weekly glance at a significant real estate project that's shaping Houston's future. Send ideas to nancy.sarnoff@chron.com.

• 3 weeks later...

It is encouraging that the residents got the city's attention and the city is taking preservation seriously. Of course, if you had already spent money on due diligence and predevelopment in preparation for the bid opening, you're a little steamed at the timing of the change in plans.

Don't expect to see any eye catching redevelopment plans for that site anytime soon. It will sit idle while the residents and the city kibbitz over redevelopment plans that neither have the power or money to implement.

• 10 months later...
Cage School

1417 Telephone Road

Neighborhood organizations led by the Greater Eastwood/Wayside/Lawndale Superneighborhood Group and Greater East End Management District have succeeded in their effort to convince Houston Independent School District to postpone the proposed sale of the former Rufus Cage Elementary School, 1417 Telephone Road. HISD had been accepting sealed bids on the historic Mission style school building and its one-acre site.

The two-story brick building was constructed around 1910 and is one of HISD's oldest facilities. The property has been used as a supply warehouse since 1983, when the current Cage Elementary opened. The former Cage School was included on Greater Houston Preservation Alliance's Endangered Buildings List in early 2004.

HISD is working with the neighborhood groups to find an appropriate use or a suitable developer for the property. In recent years, the Eastwood area has seen increased investment and revitalization, including HISD's planned renovation of Lantrip Elementary School (scroll down for information on that project). The school building is in a prominent location and could serve as a focal point for redevelopment activities.

http://ghpa.org/progress/images/cage.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
cage.jpg

I cannot believe it when I drive by that it is still there! Surprised hasn't become a cantina or taqueria like most of the eyesores near by.

I attended from 68-73 and have wonderful/dear memories of the school. I recall during fire drills we used to actually walk down those steep stairs! I was on the class room directly in that door on 2nd floor. Had fantastic views of Telephone Rd all the way to Gulf Frwy and of downtown! It had a real little neighborhood feel to it. Had a cool little play area compete with swings/slides. We played dodge ball directly under those stairs. The cafeteria served the best soup! I can still smell the aroma. Cost a nickle. We had numerous plays year round on the stage. Quite camp but fun non the less! We had some of the best outdoor festivals. I can still hear the sounds of the of the kids playing and all of the PTA parents gathering to help in the concession booths. Most of the girls looked like Marcia Brady's. It was at the height of 60's after all. It was definetely a time not to be seen again.

• Like 1

I would still love an update on the Rufus Cage school. It was to have been auctioned off by HISD back in early 2005. I was actually the High bidder (Sealed bids) however an hour or two before the auction it was pulled due to some vocal people on the Eastwood Association I believe. Meanwhile it sits and dies. Sad on many fronts.

Scharpe St Guy

It was to have been auctioned off by HISD back in early 2005. I was actually the High bidder (Sealed bids) however an hour or two before the auction it was pulled due to some vocal people on the Eastwood Association I believe.

Scharpe St Guy

Now you've got me curious. I am hesitant to pry but...what ideas did you have for the property?

About a year and a half ago, Historic Houston was trying to buy the property for their salvage warehouse and offices. The project was also going to incorporate some HPD and HCC offices. They secured all of the funding, but HISD seemed reluctant. My theory is that HISD feels that they can get more money from someone other than a non-profit.

My masters thesis in architecture school was a redevelopment of the site, including the historic school building. It is a difficult piece of property to work with, due to its irregular triangular geometry. The school building is really interesting, and could be easily adapted to a wide variety of uses. Unfortunately, it's really starting to deteriorate, thanks to the inaction of HISD...

At the time I didn't have any plans set in stone but tearing it down was NOT an option. I was entertaining the thought of turning the top floor into a loft for myself, the middle floor into an ice cream social place. I spent a few years in Calgary and there was a great ice cream shop in the neighborhood, if you played the piano, brought in an instrument, or sang a song you received a free ice cream. There were always lines out the door.

The warehouse would have floated the property and hopefully contributed to work needing to be done to the school such as roofing, HVAC, stucco repair, window repair, etc.... Basiclly I wanted to turn it into a fun family orientated place to hang out or grab a cone, sandwich, etc...

Scharpe St Guy

Now you've got me curious. I am hesitant to pry but...what ideas did you have for the property?

At the time I didn't have any plans set in stone but tearing it down was NOT an option. I was entertaining the thought of turning the top floor into a loft for myself, the middle floor into an ice cream social place. I spent a few years in Calgary and there was a great ice cream shop in the neighborhood, if you played the piano, brought in an instrument, or sang a song you received a free ice cream. There were always lines out the door.

Very creative SSG. I'll go play Chopsticks if you ever open the place up!

Thanks Musicman,

I came very very close however not close enough. I was very disappointed when they announced they had pulled it and they opened my bid and the other bid and one of the guys told me mine was the highest. Oh well, other adventures out there but I would have loved to have been on HGTV's Rezoned!!!

Scharpe St Guy

Very creative SSG. I'll go play Chopsticks if you ever open the place up!

Thanks Musicman,

I came very very close however not close enough. I was very disappointed when they announced they had pulled it and they opened my bid and the other bid and one of the guys told me mine was the highest. Oh well, other adventures out there but I would have loved to have been on HGTV's Rezoned!!!

Scharpe St Guy

Wow an ice cream place would be awesome!

It would also be fantastic to see an HPD station there, yes, yes, yes! Just having officers very visible all around would deter any if not all riff-raff. I feel like drawing up plans now! They would also be able to aim straight at Triangle Park (as we used to call it) just across the street. Plus they could keep constant vigil on the low-lifes that congregate at the old 7 Eleven store across Telephone Rd. Yes, the porch has already collapsed on Cage school and the cafeteria is or looks gone. I recall the halls were so low we kids could touch the ceiling with our hands. However, my 4th grade classroom on the 2nd floor had high (10 ft) ceilings. I bet the old light fixtures are still there. If you stood at the top of those high stairs you had a great view all around. As you walked in the entrance there was a huge grand staircase immediately in front of you (looked gothic/victorian) as most of the inside was. The library was on the 1st level and was so cozy becasue it once was used to store live cows, yes siree. Way before it was a school of course. When the man landed on the moon we hung our paper Apollo spacecrafts (got free in cereal boxes) on the ceilings of our classroom.

Now I am straying, but yes I hope you pursue or anyone to SAVE this treasure. I subscribe to Old House Journal and restored my home as vintage Victorian over on Sunnyland. Never been happier. The palm trees/bouganvilla I added make it look like it belongs in Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyard.

Good luck with Rufus Cage!

• 4 months later...
cage.jpg

After we all grew up and left Rufus Cage, we always joked that it looked just like the schoolhouse in the old Hitchcok film "The Birds".

See pics, only difference was we weren't being chased home by a killer flock of gulls, swifts or crows. :lol:

Kids from other schools would tease us because we went to "Cage" It was like this...na na na na "You go to a Bird Cage" We could strangle them. The cafeteria had the mosty delicious hot vegetable soup cost 5 cents. Wish I had some now.

ykv0kg7tgms.jpg

Edited by Vertigo58

• 3 months later...
cage.jpg

This poor old school is getting in worse shape by the day. That front porch has totally collapsed and a few windows are broken so weather enters. More Houston history about to vanish I'm afraid. No buyers I imagine or too much red tape to purchase?

I found several old interior photos at home, some are many of us kids eating in the cafeteria (in back) rest are of a festival & playground and inside portable classroom buildings surrounding the old school. We used to play dodge ball right under that large emergency staircase. The little drinking fountain can still be seen in this pic where we used to drink after wearing ourselves out. Kind of sad (now) to think of those good days, it's so quiet now. (choked up, tears) :blink:

This poor old school is getting in worse shape by the day. That front porch has totally collapsed and a few windows are broken so weather enters. More Houston history about to vanish I'm afraid. No buyers I imagine or too much red tape to purchase?

There is a Houston nonprofit that has been in negotiations for some time to acquire Cage School and the storage buildings in back. Both money (or a lack of it) and red tape have slowed things down. Everyone involved is aware of the building's condition issues but it can still be restored.

A few reminders of the playground. Although it was very small, the school managed somehow to have the tiny play area on the Baird street side. These were the days when some of those play rides were not considered dangerous.

There were 2 very serious incidents of child injury there. One day a classmate fell off the end-to-end monkey bars, broke ribs & passed out. Another far more serious accident where my big bro's very heavy set pal fell on these stupid metal poles that extended out of the ground. One of them stabbed him and he was just plopped on top bleeding everywhere. The other kids were so freaked out that teachers had to run and lift him off, call ambulance, etc.

These were also the days when no one called any counselors to talk to the kids we just had to absorb and take it all in. It was a miracle that boy lived after almost dying on front of every one.

The school removed almost all after those incidents, that is why the Baird street side seems to bare now.

I find this very very sad, I was the high bidder on this property hours before HISD pulled it off the auction block three years ago. The non-profit by protesting and throwing wrenches in the gears may have sealed the fate of this building now. Of course nothing is beyond restoration depending upon the depth of resources (money) willingingly available to be spent upon said restoration.

All the best,

Scharpe St Guy

• 3 weeks later...
I find this very very sad, I was the high bidder on this property hours before HISD pulled it off the auction block three years ago. The non-profit by protesting and throwing wrenches in the gears may have sealed the fate of this building now. Of course nothing is beyond restoration depending upon the depth of resources (money) willingingly available to be spent upon said restoration.

All the best,

Scharpe St Guy

I can only imagine what the inside of the cafeteria looks like. More than likely rain water had ruined most of it since no new roofing had been done in years.

If you stand in front of the school looking straight at it, look to the bottom left side 1st floor (basement) or what was our library. Even as kids the ceiling was so low you could touch it. It was tiny and very claustrophobic even then 1972ish. The librarian and principal said the spot was used to keep cattle years ago. Not sure how that could have been but it wouldn't phase me.

I really need to scan my photos circa 1968-70 of kids at play and inside cafeteria. Yum, can still smell the delicious soup and fresh cooked rolls. Cost one nickel.

I recall the building always had a wonderful breeze passing through it. You could see all parts of the city in all directions with no obstruction. I'll never forget our 4th grade teacher Mrs Bland, she used to sip on her water that held her roses. Freaked us all out. :wacko:

Edited by Vertigo58

• 2 months later...

Inside Rufus Cage Cafeteria circa 1970

th_EastEndBaseball-21-1.jpgth_EastEndBaseball-18.jpgth_EastEndBaseball-16.jpgth_EastEndBaseball-17.jpg

Typical kids of Cage Elementary 1970 - Notice diversity

th_EastEndBaseball-30-1.jpgth_EastEndBaseball-28-1.jpgth_EastEndBaseball-23-1.jpgth_EastEndBaseball-31.jpgth_EastEndBaseball-22.jpg OK mini skirts and the peace sign was still very popular!

See how pretty the teachers were! Thats my 6th grade teacher on the right Miss Neyland.

Edited by Vertigo58

• 5 weeks later...

I went to Cage in 1964-66, remember playing kickball on the playground and chasing the little girls around. The Mayfair dance where you had to dance with a girl (Yak) Just kidding...

I was in the nurses office alot with sinus, which was left of the stairs at the bottom.

My second grade teacher was really mean.... K and first grade was fun. I remember the great plays they would have. Still have my report cards and class pictures.

I would go by the school every once in awhile and take a picture. Sure looks small....

Thanks.

I went to Cage in 1964-66, remember playing kickball on the playground and chasing the little girls around. The Mayfair dance where you had to dance with a girl (Yak) Just kidding...

I was in the nurses office alot with sinus, which was left of the stairs at the bottom.

My second grade teacher was really mean.... K and first grade was fun. I remember the great plays they would have. Still have my report cards and class pictures.

I would go by the school every once in awhile and take a picture. Sure looks small....

Thanks.

We also had the Mayfair event over at nearby J.P. Henderson Elementary! I remember they had a pole with colored striped ribbons and kids would grab ends an go in circles to some goofy music. So you must remember how tiny everything was on ground level. We could touch the ceiling in the tiny library. I used to raise the US flag on the pole right there on the corner when on patrol duty. :blush: I think all you can see now is the metal base. There were numerous portable rooms all around but all have been removed. It was so cool when Cage had festivals and everyone knew it because of the cars passing on Telephone Rd. and stopping to watch the crowds gather. What a display it was. This place was alive!

Edited by Vertigo58

• 1 month later...

Can't help buy wonder if the inside of both buildings are completely empty or still have some items? So tempted to bust and take a peek. Just seems so strange to see so deserted and quiet now. The place was so alive with all the kids running around yelling & screaming. Dodge ball was the big deal on that pavement next to the old building. The water fountains are still there! :rolleyes:

• 8 months later...

I drove by Rufus Cage School on Nov. 20,2008. Walked around the fence which was open and took a lot of pictures. It now sits empty and unused. The metal rain cover over the porch has fallen. The wood trim on the top and the wood covering the porch is damaged and has large holes. I went to this school in 1965-1968. I sure would hate to see another Historic Houston Building get torn down because no one cares.

Here is my website on this school. http://cageschool.webs.com/

Thanks,

GEW

Edited by Cemeterywolf

I drove by Rufus Cage School on Nov. 20,2008. Walked around the fence which was open and took a lot of pictures. It now sits empty and unused. The metal rain cover over the porch has fallen. The wood trim on the top and the wood covering the porch is damaged and has large holes. I went to this school in 1965-1968. I sure would hate to see another Historic Houston Building get torn down because no one cares.

Here is my website on this school. http://cageschool.webs.com/

Thanks,

GEW

Really great that someone documented this neat little school as you did.

If you can believe, the school was so tiny that we had to go to JP Henderson because this one was at full capacity in 1968. It wasnt until 69 we were able to then register at Cage. I still remember us kids sitting on those steep stairs at the entrance while mom's chatted below with teachers. :)

The dodge ball used to pound that wall where that water fountain is. Thats where Ms Kriskie (with cat eye glasses) had the ball hit her as she sipped water. It was like the end of the world for the kid that threw it or so it seemed. Directly to the left of that fountain is where several portable class rooms stood.

Sadly enough hurricane Ike wrecked this place even more. Good thing you took pictures. There once were several people on Haif that said they were part of the org that helped stop demolition once or at least have it registered as historical landmark? They seem to have vanished from Haif though?

The cafeteria was where most of the other action occurred especially the plays and celebrations. We all once had to wear costumes of the solar universe. Our outfits were made of crepe paper etc. It was really camp but fun. The cooks made some of the best vegetable soup ever! Imagine it was only 15 cents! :D

Really great that someone documented this neat little school as you did.

If you can believe, the school was so tiny that we had to go to JP Henderson because this one was at full capacity in 1968. It wasnt until 69 we were able to then register at Cage. I still remember us kids sitting on those steep stairs at the entrance while mom's chatted below with teachers. :)

The dodge ball used to pound that wall where that water fountain is. Thats where Ms Kriskie (with cat eye glasses) had the ball hit her as she sipped water. It was like the end of the world for the kid that threw it or so it seemed. Directly to the left of that fountain is where several portable class rooms stood.

Sadly enough hurricane Ike wrecked this place even more. Good thing you took pictures. There once were several people on Haif that said they were part of the org that helped stop demolition once or at least have it registered as historical landmark? They seem to have vanished from Haif though?

The cafeteria was where most of the other action occurred especially the plays and celebrations. We all once had to wear costumes of the solar universe. Our outfits were made of crepe paper etc. It was really camp but fun. The cooks made some of the best vegetable soup ever! Imagine it was only 15 cents! :D

Historic Houston has been working for several years to purchase this property. The last time I checked with HH, HISD had thrown a monkey wrench in to the process. I'll find out this week and report back. Historic Houston would be a wonderful addition to the neighborhood and would be a great steward of the property.

Historic Houston has been working for several years to purchase this property. The last time I checked with HH, HISD had thrown a monkey wrench in to the process. I'll find out this week and report back. Historic Houston would be a wonderful addition to the neighborhood and would be a great steward of the property.

That would be great...hope it happens.

I hope so. I think HH can do a much better job maintining the structure and get started on its much needed repairs.

Edited by CHiPs

So happy to hear that someone, somewhere is reaching out to assist. Maybe I need to start a petition around the area, we still can find many childhood pals that could lend a hand and provide more historical pics.

I have a good one of an outdoor October Halloween Festival around 1971 with everyone partying, outdoor games and in full costumes. Got to scan of course! :D

The main building had the classic old School glass lamps way over our heads. The ceilings were very high and windows seemed huge. While we sat at our desks you could see the blue sky outside/above, white clouds floating by and feel the nice breezes as we sat in class. Some times they tried to save energy by just lifting a window or two. Maybe we should write a book?