Broadstone Midtown Phase I & II: Multifamily At 3800 Main St.

KinkaidAlum

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Credit to /u/asdgadgasvsadva for posting this on reddit:

I live in Midtown and noticed something on the way to work today. It regards 3800 Main Phase II, currently under construction in Midtown. http://www.apartments.com/3800-main-phase-ii-houston-tx/1pddcz7/

It looks like they installed the sidewalks at 3800 Main Phase II yesterday, but they did not install a full sidewalk along Alabama Street. I live nearby and walk along this stretch all the time on my way to the light rail or mid main. No sidewalk along this stretch is kind of inconvenient. There was a sidewalk at this location along the south side of Alabama Street before the project.

A diagram is below. Green = sidewalk built, Red = sidewalk missing http://i.imgur.com/WNP9Y5K.png?1

Are developers required to replace sidewalks along major thoroughfares in the city-designated Midtown District after construction?

Is there any way to force the developer to replace the sidewalk? Maybe the people at Walk Houston would be all for discouraging this type of developer behavior?

If the developer does not replace the sidewalk, am I allowed to walk through their landscaping (along the public easement)?

I know that this is kind of a first world problem, but I really don't want this precedent to be established in an area with a lot of existing pedestrian traffic.

• Like 1

^I thought it was bad enough that these full-block complexes don't accomodate pedestrians during construction (most major cities would have the builder put a barricaded walkway out in the street). To make that problem permanent is absolutely ridiculous. The only silver lining here is that I just built up a cyclocross bike, and I've been looking for a nice route with mixed pavement and off- road...

Edited by Alec
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't get why this city doesn't just focus on better sidewalks. I mean I like how the TIRZ designated neighborhoods get funds for these improvements, but I mean if Houston just had great sidewalks everywhere to everywhere, we would have so many more people willing to walk in this city. Better crosswalks, etc. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2

Why do some developments bury the power lines and others don't? Camden City Centre and The Post seems to have done that but these newer developments have not. Is it a petition/collaboration with the city? Harder to do now than before?

Aren't the poles mostly owned by centerpoint, not the city?

On the sidewalks front, I'm pretty sure they are the responsibility of the property owner, so that would explain why most are narrow - cheaper to have a small sidewalk and grass than a large sidewalk.

Yeah and I don't get that. Why can't the city at least force developers to build to wide sidewalks. Like at least that.

There are minimum sidewalk requirements (ex. 5' minimum width), but there are also lots of exceptions for things like utility poles that make the requirements borderline meaningless.

Truth.  Witness the obstacle course that is the ADA "compliant" section of the Texas Avenue sidewalk in front of the Chron.

• Like 1